Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2011, 06:07 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Travel Center vs Speedco oil change

I need an oil change in my class A RV and both of these companies offer a drive up service. Is one better?

patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2011, 06:39 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
As I recall Speedco's prices vary by engine size. For a medium duty engine(ISL) the cost is about $250 for an oil change 2 oil filters and a grease job. I'm not familiar with Travel Center and their price structure.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I've had good results with SPEEDCO, ISL engine 28 qts of oil, oil filter, 2 fuel filters and a chasis lube for ~$250, takes about 45 minutes. The also check the anti-freeze and differential level.
CaptPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:00 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
At least for me Speedco Denver was a miss...
Didn't have filters, couldn't get the oil filter off the Onan, broke the hydraulic fluid reservoir....

Didn't save any time or money, since I had to go to Cummis anyway to get the job completed....
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Never used a Travel Center but have been using Speedco for the past 5 years, no problems here.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
At least for me Speedco Denver was a miss...
Didn't have filters, couldn't get the oil filter off the Onan, broke the hydraulic fluid reservoir....

Didn't save any time or money, since I had to go to Cummis anyway to get the job completed....
Got all your money back from Speedco I hope!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Got all your money back from Speedco I hope!!
I WISH!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:24 AM   #8

I could be wrong, but the Travel Center drive -thru service seems to be for trucks.

I have only used Speedco in Brunswick, Georgia and they are DP knowledgeable and friendly. They can also service your Onan while you are there. Rotella-T, Fleetguard and CAT filters.

Dave
1998 American Eagle 40 EVS
Old 08-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
I could be wrong, but the Travel Center drive -thru service seems to be for trucks.

I have only used Speedco in Brunswick, Georgia and they are DP knowledgeable and friendly. They can also service your Onan while you are there. Rotella-T, Fleetguard and CAT filters.

Dave
1998 American Eagle 40 EVS
My experience with Speedco outside of Kansas City was also mostly positive. I found the facility very easy to get in/out of (not always true at Travel Centers where you sometimes wonder what the traffic pattern is supposed to be or you get blocked by an 18 wheeler). They weres friendly and professional. Another plus at Speedco, for an additional fee, they can can perform an onsite engine oil analysis to help you spot potential problems early.

The one thing I found objectionable at the Speedco I visited (and I suspect may be company policy because of the nature of standardized forms), was that when the service was over and I paid them I was required to sign some type of acknowledgment that I had personally observed the fill line on the dipstick, and that I had personally checked the fit/tightness of the oil drain plug. Of course, I had done neither and was not called into the service bay at the time those activities were being done. Clearly they have had issues with owners alleging that the vehicle was under- over-filled or the plug was not properly torqued. I don't pay professional service providers so that I can "double check" their work and I shouldn't be required to affirm something I didn't have the opportunity to see. I didn't argue/fight the signing of the form but it said I was "required" to sign it. I seriously doubt that this would ever be enforceable in the event of a dispute whether Speedco did something improper (I'm a lawyer). I can't imagine any court enforcing it when it is presented as a take it or leave it proposition AFTER the service is completed and without even requesting the customer to observe. But, other than that silly form, the facility was very clean and they did stop and ask me several questions to ensure they understood my vehicle. They offered to check the tire pressure on all the tires, too, but I have a TPMS and did not need that done and did not want them removing the transmitters.

When I don't use Speedco, I go to Cummins, not a Travel Center, for oil changes. Speedco might be a little cheaper than Cummins but the main reason is convenience (no appointment needed and open on weekends). Both are about the same distance from my house.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've used Speedco once in NC and was satisfied with the service and price. I had the on site oil analysis done for $14.95. The guys did ask me to come into the service bay and check their work, including having me watch them torgue the oil plug.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I've used Speedco once in NC and was satisfied with the service and price. I had the on site oil analysis done for $14.95. The guys did ask me to come into the service bay and check their work, including having me watch them torgue the oil plug.

Speedco in Brunswick Georgia insists that you observe the proper fluid fills, confirm torquing to specifications (Cummins or Cat) and witness that all dipsticks are tightened prior to your start-up.

I am a big fan of the onsite oil analysis and love that your get your prior history on the printout for comparison.

Dave
Old 08-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have never used either for the motorhome but with the 18 wheeler I can say that Speedco is much quicker. Usually under 1 hour from start to finish. Somtimes at Travel Centers it can be a 3 or 4 hour wait just to get in the service bay.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for your feedback. I think I'll try Speedco, but make sure they give me the guided tour or dipsticks and torque wrenches.

thanks all

Pat

(now feeling better about the oil change process)

patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel