Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2017, 09:13 PM   #1

Travel from San Diego north on PCH Hwy 1

Please help. I realize Hwy 1 is closed just south of Big Sur due to flood.
We are heading north from San Diego on Thursday. Could you please let me know how far can we travel on Hwy 1 before being rerouted to 101, and when can we get back on Hwy 1 again?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just so you know...the Pacific Coast Highway, north from San Diego to Oceanside is a mixed collection of Boulevards with stoplights and traffic in busy beach towns (read city traffic).

Oceanside to San Clemente is all USMC Camp Pendleton...no coast access...via I-5 only.

The PCH from San Clemente to Santa Monica is back into city driving...all the way through the metroplex of L.A.

The 1 and 101 are the same road from Santa Monica to Oxnard...this is a beautiful drive.

North of Oxnard, western most is a mix of 1 and 101 all the way to Big Sur. More beautiful rolling coastal hills and coast.

Then things get tricky. Once you are that far west, it's a long trip back from any dead-end...why?
Because currently, there are massive mud slide closures in Big Sur from the wet winter, and the Pfiffer Canyon bridge is out.

I'd skip it for transit, but if you have a destination, call ahead.
See:
Current Conditions

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:04 PM   #3

Our first stop is Santa Barbara so we have plenty of time...dont mind the slow traffic as long as it is a beautiful drive.
Which part should we bypass before Santa Barbara?
Thanks for great info.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The PCH in San Diego, Orange County, and L.A. are all mega-busy beach communities.
If you like that buzz, enjoy. But, it will most probably be a hectic drive as everyone is in such a hurry.

Santa Monica to beyond Santa Barbara (Gaviota) is a better drive and is well worth the time.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
Our first stop is Santa Barbara so we have plenty of time...dont mind the slow traffic as long as it is a beautiful drive.
Which part should we bypass before Santa Barbara?
Thanks for great info.
Well,
I hope you like slow, stop and go traffic. Schools out (sorta) and summer's starting so, lots of folks out and about. And it's always worse in beach communities. We've ridden the 1 and 101 twice on our motorcycle, pulling a trailer. Based on the zillions of switch backs and slow drivers, motor homes and a whole lot more, I'm pretty sure we're done that coastal trip of CA. But, If you've not been there, it's pretty good. Lots and lots of ocean views. Good luck on your trip.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:40 AM   #6

I lived on / very near PCH for years from the mid '80s-'90s in Laguna Niguel, Long Beach, and Torrance / Redondo Beach. Driving a big RV is really not going to be much fun at all......

But....... Dana Point to Seal Beach is pretty much right along the coast going through the Orange County beach towns, so it's slow, traffic all the time, but at least it is "Beachy". Downtown Laguna Beach is a traffic nightmare on weekends.

Your not going to have much luck parking the RV along the way to get out and see the towns. Bolsa Chica State Park just past downtown Huntington Beach has (at least used to have) some RV "sites" in the parking lot for overnighting, but it's a long walk (or a very nice bike ride on the bike path) into downtown Huntington Beach, and not sure about general RV parking access there or along Huntington State Beach between Newport Beach and Main Street in Huntington Beach.

Get off PCH and head up to the 405 on Seal Beach Bvld., as from there up through LA County until you get past Santa Monica PCH is not right along the beach, and you won't be seeing the ocean, it's just another busy 4 lane city street.

Just past Santa Monica up the central coast to / past Pismo Beach is generally along the coast as well, and much less congested. Of all the time I lived there, I never drove past Pismo to San Franciso.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:43 AM   #7

Thanks all
Old 05-30-2017, 07:23 PM   #8

if you really want to wander to maximize coast 405 in SAnta Monica area take I-10 west to PCH (1) to Oxnard then 101 to Santa Maria then 166 to 1 through Pismo. back on 101 to San Luis Obispo then back on 1 to Morro Bay. Go north to Cambria then back a few miles south to 46 East to 101. If you want to rejoin the coast north to San Fran when you get to Salinas follow signs to 68 and Monterey. Further north is Santa Cruz but 17 East to freeways around San Fran is winding and hilly, though I have done it in my MH.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #9

The drive north on Hwy 1 toward Oxnard takes you through Malibu and beaches to the north. Once past Ventura on the 101 stay a few days on the Rincon Parkway if weather is nice. 127 RV spots parallel to the ocean and managed by Ventura County Parks. Take the Seacliff exit north of Ventura and then head south on the PCH. Spots are first come first served. Tough to get spots on Friday-Sun. $28 per night -no hookup. But what a view. One of our favorites.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:37 AM   #10

Where can we park near San Fran?
I hear all the Walmarts do not allow overnight parking
Old 07-14-2017, 08:01 AM   #11

We are planning to take hwy 1 south from Fort Bragg to San Fran. Might stay overnight or might pass through if difficult to park.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:33 PM   #12

It looks like you may have a long motorhome. I wouldn't recommend Hwy 1.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:05 AM   #13

Hwy one was ok. Slow. GPS took us from Mountain View Road from one to 101.
Almost killed us.
Breaks almost got on fire on 17% descent.
Engine almost couldn't climb the 17% climb.
Interesting both Garmin and Rand McNally took us there.

Tags
travel