Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-21-2016, 05:21 PM   #15
Whatever is needed. OTOH my schedule is a no hurry one and my normal speed is 5 under or 62 or 3 whatever is lower. Maybe less if I don't like the road. I will move over as soon as I find a good spot to do it. ;-)

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #16
Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Depends on the route. My husband prefers to travel where he KNOWS he he has enough bridge clearance.

2001 Newmar Dutch Star DSDP3852
Me, Husband, Desi & Lucy [Jack Russell Terrier/Chihuahua mix]
We leave the feline contingent at home.
southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:06 PM   #17
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We travel interstates more than we would like. We usually have a schedule, and if we find a place we really like, we stay as long as we can then drive home. Plan for 350 miles per day.

It also depends on where we are. For us, taking a slow lumbering route thru the likes of west Texas or plains of Kansas is crazy.
2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
DGBPokes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:24 PM   #18
If I could travel only interstates I'd stay home. Seriously. And I've easily gone past Atlanta (and Houston) many times. It just takes a bit of effort and not being in a hurry.

Today I was traveling from Natchez eastward on US-84. The majority of the way on this four-lane highway there was _no traffic_. None. Every half-hour or so we might see an oncoming vehicle or overtaking vehicle. but generally I was very pleased that the powers that be provided the road just for me.

And if I'd gone on the interstate I'd never have seen the Bimbo Cafe.
CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com
johnhicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:43 PM   #19
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We just went from Texas to Utah and back. We took I40 through New Mexico only because we had never driven our Navigator through the mountains and wanted to tackle the Sandias before we hit anything bigger. I am ok with either interstate or back roads but I do get tired of the constant big truck traffic on the Interstates. DW prefers the backroad scenery!!!
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:54 PM   #20
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I avoid interstates if possible--so much of America to see on the secondary roads. Sure I've made a few mistakes where I either had to turn around and go back, or ended up driving a 2 miles stretch of gravel road with huge pot holes (I think I never got over 5 mph) but it was all worth it. Sure there were a few times I got my heart pumping on a few routes or had myself thinking if I break down, man I am out in the middle of nowhere. There are places in Wyoming you don't even get 1 bar of cell service...you are on your own, and I travel alone. However, it is not the destination but the journey so live life to its fullest.
Don Kostyal
CMSgt, USAF ret.
2012 Canyon Star 3856//2009 Scion xB
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:11 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
We just take whatever road makes the most sense at the time.
We drove through LA to get to Disneyland.
We drove 101 to see the Oregon coast.
For us it all depends on how much time we have, what we want to see and how long we want to stay there.
2001 Monaco Windsor 40 PBD
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #22
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
For us, taking a slow lumbering route thru the likes of west Texas or plains of Kansas is crazy.
You've missed a very nice drive if you've never taken Hwy 90 from VanHorn, TX to San Antonio. I-10 just doesn't compare.

Hwy 90 will take you to Big Bend Nat'l Park, too. Awesome place!! However, you'd have to get off 90 to pick up 385 - another beautiful secondary road.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #23
I like to enjoy the scenery so I stay off of the interstates as much as possible. I take a trip from Atlanta to NW Houston at least once a year and only get on about 2 miles of I-45 to visit. There a many 4 lane highways that are not interstate and have a much reduced amount of traffic. As someone mentioned US84 in Mississippi, also US60 in southern Missouri and US36 in northern Missouri. A great 2 lane US70/380 in New Mexico and Texas where you run just as fast as interstate. Just watch out for the local cops in NM in the little towns where the speed limit goes from 70 to 35 in a short distance. When I went across there was one hiding in every little boarded up 3 store town. You don't have the cars changing lanes right in front of you and you don't have big trucks breathing on your backside. Last week I took US19 from Florida to Atlanta, 4 lane all the way. Much fewer billboards to block the view, fuel and food right along side the highway, no looking for an exit. Just a more comfortable ride.
2014 Palomino Puma 25RS 28 days in 2014, 47 days in 2015, 51 days in 2016 plus 6 more booked
2011 F-150 Supercrew 5.0 6spd, Me, Xyl and the 2 kids, BooBoo and Gracie (kittens)
KT4Wextra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:58 PM   #24
Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I think you have to decide which type of road make you the most comfortable and how much time you have for the journey.

For us we decided prior to even purchasing our coach we were not going to travel like we do in our car. Taking ten hour drives, 600 plus miles a day and not enjoying the adventure of getting their.

We look for as many safe well traveled U.S hwy as much as possible and only travel the interstate when we have to. Our trip formula is 50 miles per hr and around 300 miles per day. Then we're looking to stop enjoy the area before dark and decide if we're going to stay for just a night or see some sights and stay a couple days.

So for us it's life in the right hand lane as much as possible.

There is so much to see and you will not find it on an interstate.

Safe Travels to All.
Robert, Donna, & Fay (Shih Tzu)
2016 Palazzo 33.2 & 2016 Jeep Cherokee
BlueOx & Air Force1 FMCA Member #F456717
RDFTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:03 AM   #25
I enjoy looking at maps and figuring our either the shortest route or most scenic route, depending on our immediate goals. If it happens to be Interstate, that's fine. I don't set the cruise any higher than 65 regardless. I'd like to THINK I'm saving on fuel! (Sure miss the 18 mpg of our Winnebago View!!!) On my bucket list it taking Hwy 200 from our home in northern MN (might take Hwy 2 25 miles east to the actual start of 200) and follow it all the way through MN, ND, MT and into ID. Looks like it changes to Hwy 20 in WA, but Idaho would be far enough.

Been travelling like this for 30 years. We've ended up on some real snake trails, and a couple of times down to 1st gear on mountain grades, but have never run into problems. Hmmm, I wonder how I'll like Hwy 128 leaving Moab, UT now that we have a 102" DP??? That might be interesting!
2003 Allegro Bus 35'
330 Cat
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:22 AM   #26
We usually go interstate to a destination, then explore a radius of 100 miles or so in our towed SUV. Motorhome is the mothership, and usually stays parked in an RV Park for a week or two while we explore. I found myself in a few uncomfortable situations on two lane federal roads, so it's less stressful to drive big momma on Interstates.

Nice road in the SUV - Not so much in the MH
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:58 AM   #27
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I have the option of a US highway I'll take it. The road is usually in better condition, traffic much less and usually I'll only lose a couple of minutes per hour with the lower speed limits, towns and stop lights. One accident on the interstate I could have taken and I'm well ahead of what my schedule might have been. Prime example is I95 north or south within a 100 miles of DC/Baltimore.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:57 AM   #28
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interstate hyways are for going from point A to point B. Vacation and leasure travel should be done on federal and state hyways. My bucket list includes hyway 2 across the northen states. I have traveled it fron Newyork to Maine but the next adventure would be from Minn. to Wasington.

speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote