Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #1

Travel the interstates or not travel the interstates! That is the question?

I've read various posts where some travel the interstates as a matter of course. Where others stay off the interstates as a matter of course. This then establishes the question of what you do to stay on course?

How many of you travel the interstates but circumvent around the major cities by going through small towns? Cities like Atlanta, St Louis, Kansas City and others that were never intended for anything other than boats, trains and airplanes.

My wife asked that question the other day and though it was a very good one. Atlanta has always been one of the worst cities on earth to drive thorough. It's always busy, always under construction and home to the narrowest interstate lanes in the US of A. It's bad enough in a car I can't imagine trying it in a motorhome. A tank maybe, but not a motorhome!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #2

If you're on a schedule and drive interstates to get there, plan it so you enter the big city areas at off times like before 6:30am, after 7pm or early Sunday morning.

We full-timed with no schedules so we always drove secondary roads and only interstates for the shortest time possible if we really, really needed to get to our next secondary road to our destination. We didn't care if the secondary road route was longer or slower. We saw more of this beautiful country that way.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I am 72 feet long when towing my cargo trailer. I commonly use both depending on my direction and destination.

I choose routes that are Toll-Free as much as possible and without sharp switchbacks.

Other than that I will use any decent road in the US and Canada.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I don't tend to view this topic as an "either / or" sort of thing. We drive interstates as well as back roads - depending on our needs at the moment. Driving the interstates have some obvious advantages - point the coach in the desired direction, set the cruise control, hit the readily available fuel stops and/or rest areas when necessary). Driving the back roads have a completely different attraction.

We drive both. When we're looking to get from Point A to Point B as expediently as practical - interstates are our likely choice. When we've got nothing but time and are in the mood to meander - back roads here we come.

As far as driving backroads to circumvent traffic in/around large metropolitan areas - that's rarely an option for us. My experience has been that unless you know the backroads around an area you're trying to avoid - you're likely to jump from the pan into the fire. If we're concerned about traffic in a large metro area - we tend to rely on trying to time when we traverse the area to avoid traffic to the greatest degree possible (i.e., transiting in on weekends, in the wee hours of the morning, etc.)
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #5

I travel interstates but I do like US highways as well. Usually 2 lanes in each direction, less traffic and more scenic. Just depends on where we're headed.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:47 PM   #6

We use both, depending on whether we are sight-seeing or need to make time. I've driven I-75 through Atlanta several times, once at rush hour. I didn't think it was all that bad.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #7

when it says bussiness district thru town we avoid..and use bypass around when we dont have any bussines in town.. and also use lotsa secondary us and state highways and try to avoid county roads ect...
Old 09-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
As others have said, we prefer to travel on interstates but will travel other roads as needed. Interstates have the conveniences we like, rest stops, truck stops for diesel fuel, etc. We try to avoid rush hour traffic when going through large cities.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #9

Use both, but if not on interstate we make sure it's a truck route.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:01 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It all depends and I don't chose or avoid one over the other. It depends on where I am going, how much time do I have to get there and what is there to see on the way. Sometimes the trip is the back road while other times I take the Interstate to get to the area where I will travel back roads. In either case I take into consideration rush hours, school bus pick ups, and other area related traffic producers and try to avoid them by leaving early, slowing down or adjusting the timing of breaks.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #11

Do RV style GPS show truck routs and can you set the GPS that way?
Old 09-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #12
RVM1

Travel the interstates or not travel the interstates! That is the question?

There is (almost) always a way to avoid freeways.
GPS, map, conjure a course, ponder at nifty deviation points, experience the Americana that we missed in all those past years, grand architecture, history, and (dare I say?) some of the best food of our lives!
And sometimes we change course at a whim!
If you are heading hell-bent for a "bridge too far", you will never know the treasures you bypassed.
Let the Journey be Your Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:04 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like to go places the Interstates don't necessarily go, but there are times when a 2 lane road can be a little risky. We came across one in Idaho or Oregon that was raised 2 ft above the surrounding grade and no shoulder whatsoever - not even a white line. If I broke down, I would occupy my entire lane.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:11 PM   #14
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
I like to go places the Interstates don't necessarily go, but there are times when a 2 lane road can be a little risky. We came across one in Idaho or Oregon that was raised 2 ft above the surrounding grade and no shoulder whatsoever - not even a white line. If I broke down, I would occupy my entire lane.

I don't let the little things spoil a great experience. Relax. It has happened before. It's great to have two lanes!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel