Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #15

I see no reason to carry a full tank unless boondocking. I carry 1/4 tank and I have never used it all up. If I stop, I have what I need to flush, wash etc. I don't have to shower in a rest area. JMO

Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #16
Our home town is among the top five in the US for water quality, and has been for many years. We always leave home with the potable tank full. As I remember, it's about 75 gallons, so the weight penalty is 600 pounds. On a 22,000 lb GVW vehicle, 600 pounds is white noise. We've been on a couple of trips where we had to refill the potable tank and the quality was abominable.

Taking as much of our water from home as we can is definitely preferable.

Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Always with full. We sat once in a 115 car pileup for 8 hours in a snow storm on I 95. We became the local restroom.
07 Itasca Ellipse 40fd, 2014 Honda CRV, greyhound lab mix, pit pointer mix(RIP bessie) , shar pei mix, stupid cat, wife
GG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Another vote for a full tank upon departure. Then even while using full hook ups top it off every few days. I know a 100 gallons we will never use but its only water.
2001 Monaco Windsor 40 PBD
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We travel with a couple of gallons in the black & grey tanks (just to keep anything that didn't exit at the last dump sloshing around) & between 1/4-1/2 full in the fresh, plus the 10gal in the HW tank. On longer trips where we overnight in a rest area or WM, I like having enough water for a shower in the morning.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #20
We havenít had our MH for very long but we did have TT and 5th wheels. I like to fill them at home with our softened water. Better for showers and dishes IMO.
1998 Coachmen Santara 37 foot 275 HP Cummins Diesel pusher with a 6-speed Allison automatic transmission.
Beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #21
Originally Posted by Rookie RVer View Post
Hey folks, see my name is "Rookie" so here goes. when traveling from site to site do you guys travel with water in the tank or wait until you arrive and use the hook ups? It seems to me that the beauty of a Class A is to be able to stop at a site, set up and spend the night without worrying about hook ups. So, full tanks or not? That is my question today. Thanks!@!
Rookie RVer

I usually travel with a full fresh water tank.
'96 Safari, 133k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I really thing it "depends".

In our previous gasser we carried full water for the added stability it brought to the rig in crosswinds and passing trucks. In our DP that is no longer needed.

We generally start out carrying about 50 gallons when we have a 2-3 days of travel without planning on having access to water hookups. That is enough for toilet use, water for the dogs, quick showers and a few other odds n ends. We often do Walmart/Cracker Barrel kind of parking in those situations.

If we really like the water quality we MIGHT carry a full tank of it if we are going some place we suspect has low quality water. However, we are now using a water softener and good quality filters that makes this less likely.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #23
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Another vote for full tank. We bought the rig so we weren't tied to a hose and plug and we travel that way. We never plan overnight stops and very rarely use RV parks. On a 10 day trip to Alaska we stop at one Famcamp in North Dakota. All other stops are truck stops, rest areas or wide spots in the road. Never a problem with the self contained setup.
We also carry a full water tank and dry camp most of the time, we only use a cg when it is time to dump and refill with fresh water.
Berniece & Russell with LilBit a Netherland Dwarf rabbit
1987 Southwind, 1995 Ford F150 Supercab 4X4 toad
Life in the fast lane? No thanks! We will stop and smell the flowers at every chance.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #24
Originally Posted by osok View Post
The only time I travel with full tank is if water will not be available at destination. All the water adds a lot of weight and for me no reason to have. Lighten up the load and maybe help a little on mpg. Usually I travel with about 1/4 tank.

What he said. Besides a 1/4 tank is around 20 gallons plus you have 10 in the hot water heater. That's 30 gallons, enough to last several days if you need it.
Steven and Stephanie
2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2008 Hyundai Elantra
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #25
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
We travel with full water tank. Got stuck on the road when there was an accident up in front of us once, and having the water sure made things better. We just cooked dinner, washed dishes, and I even took a shower waiting for the traffic to start moving again.
Ok, I have to go there....Bigd9, you did all that on the highway?

To answer the OP, I travel with about a quarter tank for flushing and such. Welcome.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Stowmaster Towbar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Always just a 1/4 tank. That's 25 gallons. Plenty for over night if stuck somewhere. Like Lori we always carry grey and black tank water. Add a cupful of detergent when on the road, let it slosh around to keep the tank walls clean, we use Dawn.
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #27
Fleetwood Owners Club
Always a full tank here. Just one arrival at a cg without water, and you will wish you had a full tank. We once went to an out of the way cg that had lost electricity due to a bad storm, and therefore the well was not running. In any event we stayed the 2 days there until the power and water came back. Really gives you more options, and I've not been able to notice any kind of hit on the mpg full or not. That 500-600 lbs is not even noticeable. Before someone starts doing the math, I am figuring the difference in weight from 1/4 tank to full tank. The vast majority of people run with at least some water in the tank.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:26 PM   #28
Thor Owners Club
Don't forget to sanitize the tank.

Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote

tank, travel, water