Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Smile Travel Wyoming/ Colorado

Next June I was planning on attending the FMCA rally in Gillette Wyoming. After the rally I have decided to explore northern/central Colorado and eastern, southeastern Wyoming and the 50 miles west of Gillette. I have already explored Colorado Springs , Cripple Creek, Salida and briefly explored Rocky Mountain NP. The altitude in Rocky Mount NP was not friendly to me.

I have a 40 ft motor home with a toad. I have concerns in travelling in mountains due to narrow roads but my concerns may not be warranted,

My question is has anyone travelled in these areas, what is there to do? Suggestions as to campgrounds, my wife and I enjoy hiking but not too far our 61 yr bones are just not what they use to be. Time is not an issue. I would rather take my time and enjoy museums, redoes and we really enjoy ranger programs and wild life.

Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Robert,

We live here in Loveland CO. LOTS to DO around here!!! Nice RV park here with full service and they take 40' but you have to call in advance, like months in advance to be certain you have a space on the date you want. The RV park is close to Food and Shopping... Target is there. Outlet Mall is in the same area and then in town we have lots of scluptures and a sclupture park, museum (art) and in the summer this seems to be some event going on weekly downtown. Estes Park has a nice RV park as well and they take 40' coaches as well. Elk roam the streets in Estes Park pretty much daily. There's always something going on around here. Beautiful parks along the Big Thompson river & Hwy 34 on the way to Estes Park you can park your coach as well, just be sure to call ahead as they fill up before the snow melts! Give me a shout if you need any local info I'd be delighted to help you and your wife.

The Schnauzer and his Chauffeur's
Colorado Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Thank you for the info.
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Robert, this past year, we did Denver to Moab on I70, then back into colorado at Durango, north to Silverton, then up to gunnison and the black canyon, east from there the back way into Denver.

There are a lot of very nice, very driveable 2 lane roads in west ad central colorado. By all means, get off the interstate and actually see the state.

Another trip a few years back, rocky mountain national park, west on I80, then north along the wyoming/idaho border up to jackson.

Flaming Gorge is wonderful. That border road is wonderful. There is a beautiful valley with a really large long lake up there. And the short way north the road is narrow and twisty, it was beautiful, but kinda scary. Teton Pass is also scary, I did it, but would prefer not to do it driving a motorhome again.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Almost every highway I've ever driven in WY has a wide shoulder and well maintained. Stick to US and WY state highways, county roads are often gravel or more narrow. I'd suggest heading to Thermopolis Thermopolis, Wyoming - Gateway to Yellowstone Country and Boysen State Park, a little west of your area, but worth the trip. Cody has the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, 5 museums under one roof. Buffalo Bill Historical Center NE of Gillette is Devil's Tower Nat. Monument, worth a visit I think.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If "The altitude in Rocky Mount NP was not friendly to me." is referring to your own response to altitude not your coaches response, I would be cautious and check campground altitudes in making plans. Trailer Life lists all cg altitudes 3500 feet and above. I am not a medical person, but by going to increasing altitudes and taking some time resting and acclimating it is possible to enjoy high altitude activities. DW and I are 70 and find that we still hike as actively as ever, just takes longer to cover the ground.

Driving two lane mountain roads can be a challenge. Our coach is (and has been) 36' and unless a route is clearly marked as illegal for our length we have not found ourselves unable to negotiate them and we do not avoid back roads. We do avoid Interstates unless we are in a hurry or no reasonable alternative exists, not because of fear but because there is so much more to see away from them. We also do not hesitate to slow down to a speed that feels comfortable for us and seek to let faster traffic pass us when possible.

All of this is to say don't let fear of the unknown stop you from taking a road less traveled, those roads where you cannot pass are usually well marked.
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Read my blog at http://xctraveler.blogspot.com/ AKA RVM86
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
I suggest the Cowboy Gathering at Encampment, WY. We were there in July 2012: music, cowboy poetry, dutch oven cook-off, beautiful scenery and wildlife in the Medicine Bow NF. There are a couple of small campgrounds in Encampment, but we stayed in a very nice CG on the Platte river in Saratoga. A very nice restaurant (don't remember the name) on the main drag in Saratoga.
Ontheloose: Larry, Jeanne, Pico (El Gato)
2011 Winnebago Journey Express
2012 Chevy Equinox/Blue Ox/Invisibrake
Ontheloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
I purchased Mountain Directory West before our western trip this year. I found it very helpful in planning routes especially with respect to mountain passes. The online version was cheap.
JerryKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
There is also a great Colorado State Park here in Loveland. It is called Boyd Lake State Park and has great bike and walking paths plus a large lake next to the campgrounds not to mention wonderful views of the Front Range. All facilities are very close including Walmart and many restaurants.

2005 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 410.1
2012 Wolf Creek
1mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote