Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2015, 01:09 PM   #1

Traveling in cold weather

Around the last week of December we will be leaving from Syracuse NY heading to Florida. We have a 2015 Dutch Star with in floor heat and an Aqua Hot system. My coach is stored in a heated building and is never winterized so my question is how much do I have to worry about freezing until I get far enough south? Or should I winterize before leaving?

HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 01:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have never travelled long days in far sub-freezing temps, but have done a few hours here and there in barely freezing (high 20s) temps without problem.

I would say it depends on two factors: can you pick your departure day? If the forecast has your planned date at 16 degrees, but a two or three day delayed (or early) departure will have you right around freezing or above, can you be flexible? And.....

How far are you comfortable driving in a day? From where you are you can get onto I-81 fairly quickly. 300 miles puts you in southern PA, 400 into Virginia, and 600 into far southern Virginia. By that point, odds are you won't have to worry about the temp.

Good Luck!

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #3

Use the AquaHot diesel burner to keep the coach at a comfortable level for yourself. The AquaHot will maintain about a 45 degree temp in the wet bay and keep anything from freezing. Use your dash heat just enough to keep your feet warm. Let the AquaHot do the bulk of the heating.
You should not have to winterized it as long as your are using it.
DISCLAIMER: this is how my MH works. You should check to see if your AQ has a separate thermostat for the wet bay or weather anything needs to be turned on.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Use the AquaHot diesel burner to keep the coach at a comfortable level for yourself. The AquaHot will maintain about a 45 degree temp in the wet bay and keep anything from freezing. Use your dash heat just enough to keep your feet warm. Let the AquaHot do the bulk of the heating.
You should not have to winterized it as long as your are using it.
DISCLAIMER: this is how my MH works. You should check to see if your AQ has a separate thermostat for the wet bay or weather anything needs to be turned on.
This sums it up well. If you find you are leaving on an extremely cold day, you could close the door off as for ward as possible. Set the rear bedroom zone to lower temp, say 55, so that the Aquahot can focus on keeping the front zone warm while traveling. (Note, if your Aquahot has an engine loop, good chance it will do the bulk of the heating for you.)

We were traveling in Yukon on our way to Alaska in 2014, and had early AM starts in the low teens. On those days, I also ran our generator and turned on the heated floor. Once tile had come up to temp, it's slow release of heat gain really seemed to help too.

Being form the North (Which we are not, we're cold weather rookies!), you will know when road conditions are not safe.

One tip, is to not use an exhaust or Jake compression or transmission retarder when on slick or ice covered roads. Last thing you want, is to have your rear end come around and be running down the road as your front end!

Travel safe, and have fun,
Smitty
Old 11-02-2015, 06:06 PM   #5

All great ideas, yes can pick my time to leave and you can bet we will be watching the weather, no driving in snow for this guy! I wasn't aware of the basement heat thing, i will have to check for a thermostat, i had though of putting a small electric heater down there for the first day or so.I am sure that the first day will be a long one as i do want to get as far south as possible.
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
In that coach, you can leave when you wish. The coach is already warm, so fire up the generator and turn on the Aqua Hot (use the burner, it will work much better than the electric element), heated floors, if really cold a couple of AC heaters, and the dash heat. We left home in 8 degrees two Januarys ago. Turned on everything noted above...only problem was the dump valves were frozen...and yes, the basement was "heated."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:38 PM   #7

We travel in freezing temperatures quite a bit. We just run the AquaHot and all is well. Our coach doesn't need the generator when driving in cold weather as the main engine alternator and inverter provide all the power needed for the AquaHot and everything else.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Well we r leaving Minnesota January 1 st. So I am worried stiff. Plan on leaving rig run for ever. Haha. No. But I am not shutting it off for very long. Will hope the generator keeps running. Will run straight # 1 fuel till I get to Denver. Hope to b in Mesa in 3 days then get everything up and running for warm weather. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to prevent any problems.. I am a newbie.. Lol
Running a 2005 Beaver monterry 40' 400'hsp cat. Wish me luck.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:23 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've traveled in 20 degree weather and the only suggestion I have is...Don't leave the water hose out at night.

Other than that I don't do anything special.

Tags
cold weather, travel