Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-07-2015, 08:20 AM   #15
As others have said, Mexico's a bad idea now. Beautiful country, but the cartels are in charge now, and they kill to get what they want. Mordida used to rear its ugly head occasionally years ago, but the risks today to life and limb are such that I'll never even consider crossing the southern border again - ever. To make matters worse, we're seeing the effects of our now open border NORTH of the border. Crossing it and going south is not a good plan.

Racklefratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #16
Traveling to Cabo Mexico

I travel to the border region often for work. It is not a good place to be right now.

If you want to keep up to date with things that aren't always reported, you can check out the website borderlandbeat. I will caution you that some of the stories and pictures are not for the faint of heart.

head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #17
rumor & fact

Hi, I'll give you some rumors I've heard, then I'll give you some facts.

rumors - Baja, unlike mainland Mexico, is controlled by just one cartel. Thus, there are no cartel wars. Since there is just one cartel in Baja the rumor is that you are not only safer because there is no fighting between cartels, but you are safer because if anything horrendous happens to a tourist the federales know who to blame and the cartel that is there doesn't want this kind of attention.

fact - I've been on a five week trip to Baja in 2012 and 2014. Drove all the way to Cabo and back. I was in a 4X4 and spent a lot of time on the dirt track instead of on the pavement. Although I did cover all the pavement from border to Cabo. That said, there is some pavement missing because of massive flooding, but it is about 99% repaired. There are a silly number of checkpoints and you just have to endure them. Fuel facilities are numerous enough to be able to find fuel on your way down. The roads are often narrow, have no shoulders, and there are quite frequent mishaps. I don't recommend traveling at night - not because of any bogeyman but because of poor road conditions. Once you head south from Ensenada there is only one strip of pavement all the way to LaPaz. From LaPaz to Cabo the roads are wider, sometimes two lanes and quite modern in construction and appearance.

opinion - I say go for it if you're able to handle some inconveniences and like a modicum of adventure and uncertainty.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #18

We go into Los Algodones from Yuma a lot. But "arrangements" have been made to keep the place safe. Plain clothes security, Mexican army, etc make sure that our $ is welcomed.
I won't venture anywhere else down there.
Happy Trails
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:35 AM   #19
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
Cabo was beaten up bad by the hurricane last year. LaPaz is just as nice and closer. The only issue is the road is not very wide. Go slow and be careful and you will be just fine. You will need additional Mexican insurance. August is not the best time to go, it will be very hot and humid. Average temp will be in the low 90's with high humidity and rain. Spring and fall are best. Don't listen to the scraredy cats that will warn you of the dangers. I feel safer in Baja than the US.
La Paz is a good place to shop too. Or if you're thinking about taking the ferry over to the other side, like to Mazatlan, it's the way to go. Plan enough time to stop in Mulege, Mexico which is half way to LP. Go do things like snorkeling with the Manta Rays. Stay at the airport if they have any RV spaces left. Like it's been said, it is very HOT in August. Study the danger areas which one should do on any trav
RoadWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:08 AM   #20

Was in Cabo late July this year, seem everything was up and going, unless ongo.ing construction isn't for new construction. Seem like a lot of timeshare condos were being built. Notice the roads over all were not as good as ours, but we have some bad roads also throught out the country.
Pam & Rod, and Maddix
2014 Bounder 35K
Las Vegas. NV.
olddog49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #21
I would not go there. I worked with a fellow that used to work in Mexico and he was kidnapped there and nearly killed. He will never go back. Yes, many people go and are fine. But it is a much riskier place to travel than the US.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #22
Winnebago Owners Club
Traveling to Cabo Mexico

No Way.

Drug cartels, mass shootings, beheadings, crime, kidnappings. And you can't bring a gun with you.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:31 AM   #23
Baja only

Baja is the only part of Mexico that is relatively safe. There's crime everywhere in the world - USA included. I go with a friend every other year and we drive from California to Cabo and back. No issues.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:08 PM   #24
Have not driven Baja, but have talked with RVers in Mulege, an oasis on the route. They say to drive in daylight and be sure to check fuel as there is one long stretch between fuel stations. I do not remember where, but north of Mulege. Lorreto is nice stop too.
Celerator (Joe)
'09 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Victoria, BC Canada
Celerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #25

If I have to think about Cartels or safety regarding where I'm going, I'm not interested. Won't set foot in Mexica again. Used to live in ElPaso

HR Ambassador 38 PDQ 360DP
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:12 AM   #26
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
Thanks to all for great advice. We changed our mind. There are still many places in US that we could visit.

Itasca Meridian 36M, 2013. Jeep Wrangler X, 2009
Full Timer from Norfolk VA
My thoughts exactly!! Why take the chance on dealing with issues as those experienced by others who have posted. Mexico has a great history, but it has become sullied over the years to the extent that the cartels, not the government, is in control. I recommend the book, CARTEL, by Don Winslow - a real eye opener!

bronk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:31 AM   #27
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
We go into Los Algodones from Yuma a lot. But "arrangements" have been made to keep the place safe. Plain clothes security, Mexican army, etc make sure that our $ is welcomed.
I won't venture anywhere else down there.
Happy Trails
I do the same thing every year and have never had an issue. I see thousands of American tourists there so it has to be a safe place. Love the food offerings and the cheaper drug prices.

Bob Retired Army Traveling alone now.
2008 Camelot 40 PDQ 4 slides ISL400 towing a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quadcab
Western MT in summer, AZ, NV in winter
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote