Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #29
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
When we went out west last May & June we frequently ran the genny while traveling to run both A/C's and the fridge. I was told that the Onan 7500 uses about 1/2 gallon of diesel per hour. Certainly worth that to keep us cool!
That is no-load, full-load is 1 GPH if one believes the owners manual. I don't know which is more efficient, but we drive with dash-air running and get 9 MPG at 62 MPH. We drove one trip running genset and basement A/C and got 6.8 MPG.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #30
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We are headed out of a heat wave in So. Cal. and over the Grapevine to another heat wave in the San Juaquin Valley and you can bet the dash air and atleast the front A/C if not the rear also will be keepin us cool, cool, cool as we go. What's another $4.00 an hour !! After all it's not $4.00 per mile. Didn't buy it for gas milage, right ?

Rusty1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
My Cummins 350HP is always around 6.5 - 7.0 mpg regardless of whether I have the generator running or the Aqua-Hot burner fired up.

Using those devices while traveling simply means that you will need to stop for fuel more often because of their demand. It doesn't affect the fuel mileage of your engine.

It's all a matter of what you are willing to pay for comfort.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #32
Monaco Owners Club
We run the genny for the A/C all the time. I am not rich but I really don't worry about fuel mileage. If you drive "normal" and don't have your foot in it all the time you get good mileage even with the genny running.

I bought a diesel pusher because of the difference in ride and longevity of the drive train. I knew there is a trade off and that trade off is fuel and maintenance expense. But after having a class C and test driving a few class A gas jobs, it was a pretty easy decision after going over some bumps and it not sounding like the roof was coming in because of the air ride softening the ride and being able to hear the person in the passenger seat talking because the motor was not screaming between the two of you when you were pulling a hill.

People ask me all the time how is the milage with that thing?
I always answer,"For a house it does pretty good".
1999 Monaco Windsor with a 330 Cummins.
AttilaKara72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #33
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
X2 Dr4film. Fuel mileage is just that, and Genny consumption is a totally seperate unit running on the same supply . IMHO
Rusty1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #34

We're on a trip around the US (in Mississippi at the moment) and do run the generator several hours a day while traveling to run the basement AC. Much better to arrive at a camp site with the entire inside of the RV cool. We have traveled using only the dash AC and when we get where we want to go the living quarters take hours to cool down. I do turn off the dash AC and also run one or two fans to help circulate the air inside the RV. This works great for us.

Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote