Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2016, 07:14 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we travel with anyone else they have their own RV, we agree on the stopping point for the night. If something happens that we or they are delayed or a problem we just call to let them know that we can't make the destination.
caninecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 07:15 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
There isn't a coach or trailer big enough to sleep two adult couples for more than one night - and that's a stretch.

We have another couple we travel with in both boats and RVs. The 'rules' are always the same.

1) Unless someone is having trouble with a rig and we NEED to stay together, we each leave when we're ready to leave. Everyone knows where the next stop is, and we meet up there. That being said, we nearly always travel together simply because we're both ready to go around the same time. However it's understood that if you're planning on leaving two hours after we're ready, then we'll leave without you (and vice versa of course). However it's also known that if either of us have a problem, there is not even the hint of a question that the person in front will turn around and come back. We KNOW the other one will be there if/when needed - no questions asked, no grumbling about having to turn around, just 'what do you need me to do?'.

2) Both couples like our 'us' time. While we tend to hang together at places, nobody gets offended if the other couple just wants to go and do something by themselves. We don't HAVE to stay together 24/7 just because we're traveling together.

3) When dining out together, you buy your meals, we'll buy our meals. When sharing a meal at a campsite, help yourself to whatever we brought, and we'll do the same with yours.
Podivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Just want to add one more item on this subject: it is hard enough to be on the same schedule as the DW much less on others even in their own RV. Travel with your own mate and have a HAPPY UNEVENTFUL trip. Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:06 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We did a 4 week trip to Maine with sister-in -law and her husband(#5, if that tells you anything) in separate motorhomes, and it was a challenge...

From driving speed, to where to camp, to where and when to eat, he loves to drive, but doesn't want to see or do anything else when you get somewhere. So doesn't want to stay anywhere more than a day or two.

My wife and her sister are very close, so there is always the comment if we have plans.....they want to go. Short trips I can tolerate......long ones a whole different story.

I think it was Ben Franklin who said " Fish and house guest, both begin to smell after three days". Very appropriate to RVing as well
Old 01-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #19

My wife wants to take the mother in law along. How do I ask her to stay on one side of the coach, I am planning on filling the tires on one side of the coach with helium to help with her weight problem. She can sit on a dollar and make 4 quarters she is as big as a change machine. My plan is to take her to a state I never plan to visit again and put her in a nursing home there. I will probably send her sock money out of sheer guilt.
big willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:22 AM   #20

Luckily my son has his own 5th wheel and my daughter wants nothing to do with Rv'ing unless it's tailgating at Penn State. We manage for the tailgating weekends but other than that it's mainly just the two of us on long trips. We frequently take the grandchildren on weekends but we consider that a bonus!

Kim
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #21

If you can get past the personal space issue (which is the killer for most people unless your in-laws are the most mellow people ever), the problem is there is generally only one permanent bed in an RV. The other beds are couches or dinettes that are converted. These aren't as comfortable as the regular bed, so it then becomes an issue of who gets the uncomfortable bed. Stick your in-laws on the dinette for just one night and you'll hear about it forever.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:39 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
With our TT our "adult" kids would stay inside in the "bunkhouse" and having them along we'd usually eat outside - provided the weather cooperated! The bathroom wasn't too much of an issue - many times the kids would use the campground facilities. Now that we've got the MH I think the "kids" will just tent next to us My DH does all the driving and I do all the planning/navigating. I lay out the general plans for the day, if we're on the road we have some planned stops, if we're at our destination I'll tell everyone we'll meet at X time and everyone is on their own until then.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
We did a 10 day trip Minnesota to Florida in February of 1976 in a 34 foot Winnebago class A.

Two families. Four adults and four kids. No Toad.

There were some minor issues but we had fun.

Would never do it again.

It was warmer in Edmonton, Alberta than it was in Florida one morning.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by big willie View Post
Has anyone traveled with in laws on trips in the same coach.
Why would you want to do this? Especially if you were to put the word mother or father in front of in-law.

We have however ordered a new motorhome which has bunk beds. My wife wants to be able to take her grand nephew with us from time to time. I hope this means by himself, but seriously doubt it. I have called dibs on one of the bunk spaces for the cat.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #25

We have camped for long weekends with another couple sharing our coach several times, another with our guests staying in a KOA cabin, and with in-laws in their own coach. We much prefer the in-laws with their on coach. We also practice, leave when ready and let the other catch up. We often leave on different days and just meet up somewhere. We like the 6,4 2 rule best.
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #26

American Coach Owners Club
If you genuinely like the people that travel with you than to me the minor inconveniences of living in a cramped space are easily tolerated. We are planning another trip with my brother and his wife than one with a daughter and her SO each for a least a week.

As intolerant of minor inconveniences as some of the folks on RV forums are I can easily see why there is a "no room in the inn sign" in so many RV's.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
We took my mother-in law and our at the time 5 year old son To California from Maryland in 1981. We had a 21 ft Mobile Traveler class C. We never had a problem and I still tell everyone it was the best vacation we ever had. That includes the 15 or so cruises we have taken.

Reading through this thread it is easy to see that some people value there personal space to the point it would never work for them. Probably now I too may be one of those.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have on several occasions. With three generations in the coach, we've had great times, good times and once a bad falling out. It's hard to please everyone, so we've made everyone responsible for 1 activity they want. That way we have at least thing things we will do. Also they can do their own individual "thing" on their private time.

As for traveling in separate RV's. We used to all the time. But with them constantly stopping for some reason or other, drives me crazy. We got rid of our 5er because of having to stop. Now until I run low on gas, I'm moving down the road. Besides we love doing things on our time table, not someones else's.

Tags
travel