Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2016, 10:23 PM   #1

Traveling with other couple

My wife and I are buying a diesel pusher this summer and looking to do some traveling. Has anyone traveled with in laws on trips in the same coach. Looking for pros and cons. Thanks in advance for your responses. Colorful responses encouraged.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We did once, and the only disagreement was our bathroom rules ..the men had to "sit" to avoid "drips" etc. Well my father in law made it very clear he doesn't "sit". So when nature called he left the motorhome and walked to the "out house". Sanford PS the "color" was yellow.

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:58 PM   #3

Funny
Old 01-17-2016, 02:27 AM   #4

GF and I traveled full time for 7 yrs. in a 34' 5th wheel

We LEARNED to maneuver around each other w/o getting into each others way

We didn't have any privacy concerns as we are QUITE intimate.
Nor did we need to have any bedroom privacy

BUT when MAD there is NOT enough room to go to separate corners.

RVs are:
For entertaining 6
For dinning with 4
and for SLEEPING 2 (TWO)

Can't imagining going on a trip with others in the SAME RV.

Bunch of the guys going hunting or shooting competition.....maybe
BUT the IN-LAWS
OH the HORROR

I really like GFs people and they like me......they would go along but they would bring/use their OWN RV---cause they wouldn't want to try it with us all in same rig either

Too small.....too confined......too many people
Old 01-17-2016, 03:38 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have same rule as Old-Biscuit...

Cocktails for 6
Dinner for 4
Sleeps 2

The only way to travel with another couple is for them to be in their own RV and they are either in front of you or behind you on the road - and then you spend common time in the campground - and then back to your own RV when it is bedtime.

I would suggest you try it out for a rainy 3 or 4 day weekend if you really think it is something you want to do. It will give you a chance to see how you will all inter-react in a confined place for long periods of time. You can let them know that this may be a great way to see how well you can travel together - maybe they will find out that THEY don't want to travel with you and it will give them a gracious way to back out.

Good luck!
Damon Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:37 AM   #6

Carolina Campers
Traveling with other couple

We have traveled with various members of our family; grandkids, in-law's, our kids and their family's...

Frankly, we like it best when it is just the two of us.

Grandkids; Once a grandson took a shower, left the facet on but had the shower head turned off and hanging down, so a slow leak developed. In the middle of the night I got up to use the facilities and found that the gray water tank had filled up so much that it had backed up into the shower and started to overflow.... I was just lucky that I found it before any damage...

Son & his family; I will tell you that it was great having another driver on hand... But after a few thousand miles, we were all happy to be home...

Mother & Sister In-Law; My Mother-in-Law is in her 80's, and everything was a challenge, far worse than any grandchild... What time to eat, when to eat, 80 degrees is too cold and the temperature is never satisfactory, when to stop, where to stop, did not like being away from her home, are we there yet, never again.... It was nice to have the Sister-In-Law along to help with the Mother-In-Law, or I may have ended up being an out-law after a while...

Ted & Kathleen
Old 01-17-2016, 06:22 AM   #7

Love my in-laws. We visit them at least once a year and stay at their place. Likewise they come here once or twice a year. Visits are usually 5 or 6 days, the wife is done after 4 or 5. I could not imagine a cross country trip in a 400 square foot pressure cooker.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:41 AM   #8

I had thought about taking my in laws but after I had the tire blow out if they had been with us I'm sure I would have blown up.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:04 AM   #9

We took my niece with us for 2 nights and it worked out OK but that was all we wanted with someone else in the coach. It is just too tight quarters. I think for a weekend it may be OK. If you want to travel with them, a better suggestion is to use KOA Kabins. We did a trip with my sister and her husband like that and it worked great. We ate our meals in the RV and we slept in our own place.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:11 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have taken 3 grandchildren (ages 10,9,9) from coast to coast and return. They were easily entertained and the whole purpose of the trip was to share our experiences across the country. We spent 7500 miles, 24 states and 45 days with them. They enjoyed it and we did also.

We've taken 2 of our older children (45 & 47) on a week vacation.

Take aways - grandkids are great. Older kids - not so great.

Recommendation: with the exception of young grandkids, this is a 2 person motor home.

If you doubt what has been stated above - try it for one night. You'll understand QUICKLY. Great space for 2 adults only

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:33 AM   #11

Many times, we took couples down (relatives and friends) with us for an overnight or two till destination. At destination they get a room...
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:50 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Travel in our Palazzo with our 3yo his two cousins and their parents (wife's twin sister) it seems to be fine, I've installed a rolling sat, and NAS with movies so between the inside and outside activities we do ok.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Diva View Post
The only way to travel with another couple is for them to be in their own RV and they are either in front of you or behind you on the road - and then you spend common time in the campground - and then back to your own RV when it is bedtime.
Damon Diva
I agree

However even that can be problematic because every couple has a different opinion of how to travel.

In my experience traveling with another couple in another RV can be nerve-wracking, (and sometimes unpleasant), because it requires patience, compromises and agreements about:
How fast to drive.
How many miles to travel each day.
When and where to stop for the night.
How early or late to to stop each afternoon or evening.
How early or late to leave each morning.

After 2 or 3 days I find that I've "enjoyed" as much as I can stand.

Mel
'96 Safari, 145k miles
Old 01-17-2016, 08:01 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's why I like driving us all, if I waited on my brother-in-law to get "ready" I'd have watched 2 movies in the same amount of time.

Tags
travel