Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #29

I truly hope our Boarder Patrol officers treat Canadians with more respect and dignity when they cross to travel here.

.[/QUOTE]
Depends on the individual officer, we've had the " The Good, the Bad and the UGLY " going into the USA, AND returning to Canada. I guess ; in order to avoid complaints of "profiling " they have to treat a 63 year old Canadian RVer the same as a 19 year old ...... ; fill in any minority or country of origin..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Folks, let's stay on topic here please. The OP asked about a particular grip on a particular shotgun and how it might be viewed by Canadian Boarder Patrol. Let's not get into offering advice on other weapons, weapon pros/cons, or certainly not country bashing.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with a previous poster, check http://www.cbp.gov to find out if there are any legal entanglements trying to back into the country with your firearm.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Hey all just wanted to update all on my post. I know it's been a while since posted this question. However just wanted to chime back in on what happened. We did take our Mossberg 500 pump Shotgun across the boarder to Canada. Step 1. at the border check point declare you have the weapon 2. Go inside the boarder office and fill out a form and 3. Pay a fee $25.00 then they sent two boarder guards out to our bus they boarded to verified the serial number . All this took about 25 minutes it was a very smooth crossing. Happy Rving to All !!!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where do you plan to cross the border at? If it is in Detroit (The only place in the 48 states where you go SOUTH to go to Canada) there is a gun shop in Livonia, Mi, I think six mile and Middlebelt, "Shooter's Service" I'm sure he has a safe and can store your weapon.. This is the safest method.

You might call back to Canada and double check due to the pistol grip. Frankly I do not know, The best advice with ANY weapon (Well the safest) is to check it with a licensed dealer.. But there may be other options. I've never checked.

True story: A bunch of preachers held a convention in Detroit. Many popped over to Windsor for lunch.. They often drove a borrowed car.

They got to the customs shack and the officer said "Any firearms" the preacher said "NO" the customs officer gave him a few more chances to admit there was a gun in the car and then "pull around back"

The customs officer was LOOKING at the gun, clearly visible, on the rear deck of the station wagon. (I did mention it was a borrowed car).

Turns out some religions are big business so the preacher has a gun to protect himself when he takes the Sunday collection to the bank.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Weapons

I never leave home without mine. Carry a 45 and have a right to carry that is good in most states. I intend to protect my family when on the road, I would always check the law wherever I intend to travel.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter 45 View Post
I never leave home without mine. Carry a 45 and have a right to carry that is good in most states. I intend to protect my family when on the road, I would always check the law wherever I intend to travel.
Teach me. Right to carry means concealed carry permit, right? If I don't have one, can I still carry a weapon in my RV as long as it is not loaded and not near the ammo? Thanks.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #36

Quote:
If I don't have one, can I still carry a weapon in my RV as long as it is not loaded and not near the ammo?
Federal law would allow you to transport the weapon in this matter. You would not be legally allowed, however, to stop in a few states (NJ, MA come to mind) while transporting, and rules for Indian reservations are different. There are also restrictions on possession of certain kinds of ammunition in some states. Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States (J. Scott Kappas, Esq.) is one handy source for information.

When we are traveling there are several states where we do not stay overnight or travel through because of firearms laws that we cannot comply with. When traveling to Canada or Mexico, we make certain we are in total compliance with their laws - one reason we do not go there often. Everyone has to make their own informed decision. We choose to be legal wherever we go, and do not go where we cannot be.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #37
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Canada will take your guns if you break their laws.

Mexico will take you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
When traveling to Canada or Mexico, we make certain we are in total compliance with their laws - one reason we do not go there often.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #38

I don't think complaining about rude treatment equals whining and complaining. I have lived out of the States for several years while in the military, and I really don't want to go to another country where I can't have a weapon to defend myself. You want to be a victim, go ahead. I'll stay in the States where I am a citizen and have my rights.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #39

Freightliner Owners Club
Federal Firearm Regulation is here:
Interstate Firearms Transport
As posted here, some states view transporting as going through the state in the most direct route, and any interruption or side trip could find you in violation of their laws.
Individual state laws are here: Handgunlaw.us
Read carefully each state you intend to past through, be aware some cities have more stringent laws than the state. (Can a weapon be carried in an auto, do you have to announce to Law enforcement you are armed, can you legally possess hollow point ammunition, etc)

These concern primarily transporting or carrying a firearm. Justified use of a firearm, even in self defense presents a whole new realm of pitfalls....
Old 12-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy RVer View Post
Hey all just wanted to update all on my post. I know it's been a while since posted this question. However just wanted to chime back in on what happened. We did take our Mossberg 500 pump Shotgun across the boarder to Canada. Step 1. at the border check point declare you have the weapon 2. Go inside the boarder office and fill out a form and 3. Pay a fee $25.00 then they sent two boarder guards out to our bus they boarded to verified the serial number . All this took about 25 minutes it was a very smooth crossing. Happy Rving to All !!!
Thanks for reporting back. Glad it went smoothly for you.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #41

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Canada will take your guns if you break their laws.

Mexico will take you.
And your RV and towed.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #42

Since 2002 I've been to Alaska 3 times, crossing the boarder in Alberta or BC. Filed out the necessary paperwork and paid the $25 fee each time with no problem.
However, in 2007, I tried to cross into NB from Maine with the same shotgun and paperwork but the custom supervisor there would not allow it to enter, even though I explained that the same shotgun had already been allowed into Canada 3 times. He wouldn't allow it into NB and stated that the reason was that there was no dangerous animals in NB to justify having a shotgun. So, even though I had all the necessary documents and a legal shotgun that the Customs website said was necessary, the individual customs agent can do what he wants. I had to leave it in storage at customs until I came back out.
Needless to say, I wasn't a happy camper.

By the way, you should have seen how upset customs was at Niagara Falls was in 2000 when they discovered a small mace canister on my wife's key ring. They had me pull over to the office area and 2 agents went all through my truck and 5'er. After not finding anything else, he stated they could have confiscated my truck and 5'er for having that "weapon". They did confiscate that deadly weapon, never to be seen again.

Closed Thread