Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPD View Post
As I advised in my earlier post, our motorhome was searched by Canadian Boarder Patrol after the officer decided she did not like my legal shotgun. The search included the removal of all drawers from the cabinets and drawers and contents thrown on the bed, the freezer emptied and contents left in the sink, storage compartments emptied and left on the ground and cushions removed from all furniture.

Imagine the disappointment she felt when she could not find anything illegal hidden. Believe me, any place I would have hidden a handgun, it would have been found.

I will never go back to Canada except to travel through it to Alaska and I will spend as little money as possible there.
This type of behavior is why I will never take my coach into Canada. Nothing there that I can not find here. If I just have to go to Alaska I'll go via ferry.

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #44

We hope to travel to Alaska some day after we spend a few years in the lower 48. If and when we do travel through Canada, we'll not take our weapons...but replace them with a good supply of commercial grade bear spray.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #45

National RV Owners Club
Gun for your own protection? I have a permit, but a Arizona Gun Dealer suggested
I buy a 'Water Rescue Flare Gun', found at sports stores. Otherwise, Wasp spray,
near your door. Have a Merry CHRISTmas and Happy New Year!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
I keep a 9mm in the back near the bed. Never up in the cab.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Old 12-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The subject of weapons has been beaten to death on this forum, however it would seem to me that being treated as you were warrants a talk with a superior about the manner of the search. Certain answers, bumper stickers and decals trigger responses from the crossing guards but leaving your property in turmoil ,to me is uncalled for. "Their country, their rules".

I have been stopped numerous times going into Mexico but only searched on one occasion, however the last time I re-entered I was questioned about my dogs. I was told too many people were trying to smuggle dogs in. Had friends who had their gas tanks checked ? "Our country, our rules".

Don
Old 12-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #48

26 dead people not enough? I was an armed guard. Trust me by the time you get at your weapon you are number 27. Stop being paranoid.
My condolences to the Parents and Spouses. Cheers Gerald
Old 12-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Duerr View Post
26 dead people not enough? I was an armed guard. Trust me by the time you get at your weapon you are number 27. Stop being paranoid.
My condolences to the Parents and Spouses. Cheers Gerald

I don't understand how this relates to the post.?
Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #50

Ford Super Duty Owner
How do you think we servive without guns , if you go to an area and need a gun then
don't go there.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #51

I didn't have time to read all 4 pages of this post. I just wanted to add that the local county parks I go camping at always have a sign that reads "Guns Banned on Premises". I think this is a MN state park law too.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #52

Not an option.......retired st. cop....firearm also part of me.....

slackdog
Old 12-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #53

being a retired st. cop.....the canadian authorities behavior is unexcusable....OK to search.....but this almost looks like they were trying to 'punish' u by creating a mess.

slackdog
Old 12-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #54

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For those who mention things like "Right to keep and bear arms" I won't discuss that right here, No way.

However the O/P was not talking about crossing from say Michigan to Ohio, he was talking about crossing from the US into Canada.

Your Constitutionally granteed rights as a citizen of the US STOP at the border to any other country,, When you cross that line you only have the rights THEY choose to grant you.

What those rights are, in regards to firearms, I do not know since I am not affected by them. (No firearms).

One of the common jokes is the American in a foreign country who seems to think he has the same rights he enjoys at home.

So now you know why I'm not willing to discuss 2nd amendment rights in this thread.. 2nd amendent, in fact ALL the amendements, stop at the border. As does the constitution they amend.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #55

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene1 View Post
Gun for your own protection? I have a permit, but a Arizona Gun Dealer suggested
I buy a 'Water Rescue Flare Gun', found at sports stores. Otherwise, Wasp spray,
near your door. Have a Merry CHRISTmas and Happy New Year!
Here in WA a flare gun is considered the same as any other kind of handgun and illegal to carry loaded in your vehicle unless you have a concealed license.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #56

National RV Owners Club
Have you ever noticed 'First Responders' always show up to late. At the very
least, give those that are in danger, a way of instant protection. gene
Closed Thread