Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Traveling With Weapons

We are headed up north on a 3 week Vacation. We are planning to do a lot of hiking in 4 different states. We are also going to Canada for the first leg of our trip. I have always traveled with my 500 Mossberg 12 GA pump shotgun.
I have the one with 18" barrel, pistol grip. I know some states frown on this model. However it is just the right size to carry while hiking and is easy to handle for home security. I did call the Canadian Border to see what they had to say. They told us to fill out one of there forms the 909 form and there would be no problem bringing it across the border, however I forgot to say it has a pistol grip. Does anyone have experience with the border and this gun?

Thx
Arnie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No experience but I'm curious too. Have a Win 1300 with folding wire frame stock, laser/light, pistol grip and 18" barrel on it.
Also have an 870 with long barrel, standard wood furniture that, if we ever go to Canada, will be what I take if the Win isn't legal there.
And no, I won't try and take my everyday carry .45 pistol with me!

Old 08-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pawn your shotgun before you go across the border to Canada. It will be safe for 30 days, then come back and pick it up when you get back.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
Old 08-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
Pawn your shotgun before you go across the border to Canada. It will be safe for 30 days, then come back and pick it up when you get back.
Doesn't answer the question though.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can't answer the question. I don't take my shotgun into Canada because I pawn it and pick it up on the way back. I have done this twice in the last 4 years.

I was just giving you an option that works for me.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
Old 08-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #6

Leave your weapons at home! Problem solved.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy757 View Post
Leave your weapons at home! Problem solved.
How does this suggestion help answer the original question?
Old 08-19-2012, 02:07 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have the Mossberg 590 A1, telescoping stock vs. your pistol grip. Also has the TLR 2S mounted.

I have crossed with it several times with out issue.

I pull up take their form and $25.00 inside and I'm good to go for 2 months. If you are there for more than 2 months it's another $25.00.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
MGSCOTT4....never thought of that great option Thanks !!!!! sdennisslee.... I hope that's the case with me Thanks Mr_D .... Sounds like you have some nice guns !!!
Flyboy757..... I do consider my Motor Coach my second home.... Safety is my number one issue when traveling with my family, not sure I can always count on the authority's to protect us in the middle of the night in a darken campground if something were to arise ..... but Thanks !!!!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #10

Don't forget that you have to comply with the laws of each and every State that you drive through....Check the laws before you enter the state..Some places = No tolerance..
Old 08-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #11

Check the NRA website for each states requirements. Previous posters were correct, as each state's laws vary greatly and ignorance is no excuse. An 18 inch shotgun is not an illegal shotgun in any state. Each state's laws may change from year to year, so do not readily accept someone's opinion from last year. Also, and more importantly, is that each state has laws pertaining to your rights to protect yourself. The gun may be legal, but you may be obligated to flee rather than stand and defend. No one should give you advice in this body of law except an attorney from the state in question. Additionally, there some federal laws pertaining to transportation of personal firearms on the interstate system. Understand that if you are successful in entering Canada with a legal weapon, you still may want to return to the U.S. with that weapon. It may not be as easy as portrayed. You may be required to show proof that it was originally purchased in the U.S. I have been through this routine several times and learn something every time. Do your home work and take no one's opinion. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
Check the NRA website for each states requirements. Previous posters were correct, as each state's laws vary greatly and ignorance is no excuse. An 18 inch shotgun is not an illegal shotgun in any state. Each state's laws may change from year to year, so do not readily accept someone's opinion from last year. Also, and more importantly, is that each state has laws pertaining to your rights to protect yourself. The gun may be legal, but you may be obligated to flee rather than stand and defend. No one should give you advice in this body of law except an attorney from the state in question. Additionally, there some federal laws pertaining to transportation of personal firearms on the interstate system. Understand that if you are successful in entering Canada with a legal weapon, you still may want to return to the U.S. with that weapon. It may not be as easy as portrayed. You may be required to show proof that it was originally purchased in the U.S. I have been through this routine several times and learn something every time. Do your home work and take no one's opinion. Good luck.
I went to the NRA website but couldn't find this info. Can you tell me where it is? Thanks!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
Old 08-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #13

Like American Express.....

Like the old commercial said "Don't leave home without it" Not trying to be an alarmist or start trouble, while new to RVing I have many years on the road (Truck Driver). You are your best protection.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy RVer View Post
We are headed up north on a 3 week Vacation. We are planning to do a lot of hiking in 4 different states. We are also going to Canada for the first leg of our trip. I have always traveled with my 500 Mossberg 12 GA pump shotgun.
I have the one with 18" barrel, pistol grip. I know some states frown on this model. However it is just the right size to carry while hiking and is easy to handle for home security. I did call the Canadian Border to see what they had to say. They told us to fill out one of there forms the 909 form and there would be no problem bringing it across the border, however I forgot to say it has a pistol grip. Does anyone have experience with the border and this gun?

Thx
Arnie
Spend a few $ and play it safe, buy a stock for it so you can have a std. while in Canada. Unless you have practiced alot your not going to be
effective with the pistol grip shotty anyway, just saying.