Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #1

Travelling with the generator running

We have a 2014 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS (gas) RV and planning to leave Ontario in another week heading down I-75 to Florida, and will have 3-4 days of cold weather to deal with, probably 32F or lower.
This is our 1st Winter trip with this RV, so still feeling things out!
During the day, we are considering running our generator as we drive and plugging in a small electric space heater to keep the coach warm versus running the propane furnace 24/7.
My understanding is that a gas generator uses far less fuel than a propane furnace.
We will be running the dash heater, but do not expect it to keep the entire interior warm.
When stopped for the night we will run the furnace.
We do not expect a small space heater to keep the living are real hot, but if it can keep it warm it's still better than having no heat back there.
We also plan to travel with the water system winterized and will only de-winterize once we reach warmer temps (we will have anti-freeze in the black and grey tanks).

Questions
1) Is travelling with the generator running and a space heater something that other Class "A" owners have done?
2) If so, how well did it work for you?
3) Is it safe to operate an electric space heater off the generator while travelling?

Once we have a couple of days under our belt we will have a better understanding as to how well this works while driving, and how well the propane furnace heats the basement area (I have 2 remote temperature sensors installed).

As always, any comments or input would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #2

I've never done it, but I would think you could run the space heater en route.

I would rather just run the propane furnace instead. You can always top it off at Flying Js along the way.

My gasser has a Motoraid rear heater that does a pretty good job, but I don't normally experience the low temps you'll be traveling through.

Good luck and remember there's warm weather at your destination
Old 12-25-2017, 12:45 PM   #3

We traveled with the genny running powering a space heater a few times in other coaches. Wife used it for comfort by her seat in addition to furnace & dash heat.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
3) Is it safe to operate an electric space heater off the generator while travelling?
As davismills said, I would just run the propane furnace, but if you do run a space heater make sure you get one with a tipover switch. That will turn it off if it turns over while moving. Another advantage of running the propane furnace is it should dump some heat into the wet bay to protect the plumbing.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:17 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I can't see any problem with driving with the generator running and powering a space heater, BUT you must be sure it is the type heater that will shut off if it turns over!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:34 PM   #6

Use command strips with Velcro to keep it from moving around or tipping it over. Just remove the command strips when the trip is over. I use them for a lot of different reasons. Keeps the entertainment electronics from moving and we even have clocks and pictures mounted to the wall.
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #7

If your traveling South, go ahead and fill your water tank and run your furnace if the basement is heated. Most class A coaches ride and handle better with water in the fresh water tank due to the extra weight. If you are going to keep the unit winterized, and want to flush a toilet use windshield washer fluid.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:39 PM   #8

turn over ???? please dont , LOL
coyote1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #9
OCM

I use a ceramic heater with tipover from Home Depot ($20.00). Works for me . Just went from Maryland to Colorado, no problem. Ran furnace to keep coach warm, and used generator and ceramic heater when it got real cold (9d). furnace didn't keep the water lines from freezing though.
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:48 PM   #10

If you run the generator and use a heater, suggest you plug it in to a circuit not supplied by the inverter.

I did and blew the circuit which blew a fuse in the line from the batteries to the inverter.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #11

Thanks to everyone for your input, and on Christmas Day too!
We are still considering just running with the furnace on, but also interested in the generator / electric heater idea.
One of the things I like about this forum is that you can pick up many great ideas and suggestions from other's with both opinions and experience.
Thanks again.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:02 PM   #12

Just in case you didn't know. You will have a slight detour in Detroit to get around the closed portion of I 75.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 11:05 PM   #13

Thanks Monacoach.
Yes, I am aware of the Rouge River Bridge closure on I-75 South, and from what I've read, it will be for 2 years!
Just another stretch of I-75 road construction.
Thanks for the notice.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:18 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
Thanks Monacoach.
Yes, I am aware of the Rouge River Bridge closure on I-75 South, and from what I've read, it will be for 2 years!
Just another stretch of I-75 road construction.
Thanks for the notice.
I travel from Detroit to/through Toledo every day for work. I-94 to I-275 south works well and is only about 6-7 miles longer than straight down I-75. Generally, I continue past I-275 and take U.S. 23 down to U.S. 24, but you could also take U.S. 23 to I-75. Less traffic and construction mess through Toledo.
Drive Safely.
Jaxom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, travel