Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2016, 02:20 PM   #1

Trickle charger advice please

Hello,
I bought a 1989 Monaco diesel Cummins 36 and I am hoping for some advice on a trickle charger. I am a new motorhome owner and thank you in advance.
One of the issues they mentioned was the alternator. A side note they bought a new battery. I have three batteries. When I moved it to the RV park it started and ran great. When I attempted to move it, it would not start even with a jump. I was told I need to charge the battery. After that I can go to a repair man and work on it.
I have taken photos of the three batteries and would like advice on which trickle charger to buy. I prefer Amazon. Should I get a solar powered? Is there a specific type I need for my battery?
Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 02:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmdog View Post
Hello,
I bought a 1989 Monaco diesel Cummins 36 and I am hoping for some advice on a trickle charger. I am a new motorhome owner and thank you in advance.
One of the issues they mentioned was the alternator. A side note they bought a new battery. I have three batteries. When I moved it to the RV park it started and ran great. When I attempted to move it, it would not start even with a jump. I was told I need to charge the battery. After that I can go to a repair man and work on it.
I have taken photos of the three batteries and would like advice on which trickle charger to buy. I prefer Amazon. Should I get a solar powered? Is there a specific type I need for my battery?
Thank you
Nmdog
A trickle charger is not of much value for charging dead batteries.
If your Monaco does not have a built in on board battery charger get a good 3 stage automatic battery charger.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:57 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A trickle charger will not being up a near dead battery. A good battery charger / engine starter can be a good thing to carry for those times of need. I recently bought one, I like it, by Black and Decker. I bought it at a home depot.

Black & Decker BC15BD 15 Amp Bench Battery Charger with Engine Start Timer
https://www.amazon.com/Decker-BC15BD.../dp/B00KNMKRU8
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
I'm guessing you need the chassis batteries charged to start engine. They should be group 31 truck batteries, 12 volt. You should be able to jump start it. If using a car/pickup to jump, let car run for 20/30 mins to try and get enough juice in them to turn engine. Just hooking jumper cables up and expecting it to bust off ain't gonna happen with stone dead batteries. Turn off car a/C and run engine up to 1000/1200 rpm to build up some amps

Will the generator start? Maybe it'll charge them?
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Hello,
Thank you
Nmdog
Does your coach have a "Battery Boost switch", (aka: "Emergency Start" or "Aux Start" switch)?

If it does and if only the chassis/starting battery is dead, (and the house batteries are not), you should be able to start your coach with the charge in the house batteries using that switch.

See this link for information about what a "Boost Switch" is and what it does: Boost Switch

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #6

Thank you

I will continue to research. Do you know why a new battery would drain that way? It was only drove about five miles then parked for approx one month.
Thank you for the info
Old 08-22-2016, 04:37 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Five miles really wasn't enough to charge battery. But to answer your question, you may parasitic drain, meaning something is on or needs battery for memory and draining the battery over time.
If your going to be in one place for a month and your inverter will or does not charge batteries, you should add a a/c power battery maintainer or perhaps a solar charger. There's several on amazon.

....did you get the engine to start yet?
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:34 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
keeping batteries charged

I bought my first motorhome in 1974. Keeping the batteries charged has been a long hard test. I have tried everything. Finally in 2007 I came up with my final choice. I started using a battery minder. I liked the pulse feature. It keeps the plates from sulfating. I installed new batteries in my Pace Arrow when I bought it in 2007. I tested them this spring and they tested like new.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:55 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hello,
Thank you
As others have stated you do need to get a good battery charger to bring it up to a full charge first.

Once two days before a trip while RV was in storage the starting battery AND the 2 house batteries were dead. My battery disconnect switch failed. Luckily my autzone batteries were only 18 months old. After trying to charge the starting battery it did take a full charge but with nothing attached it quickly over less than an hour steadily lost its charge. The house deep cell marine batteries took and held the charge. Autozone replaced the starting battery for free.

Ever since then I use a trickle solar charger from Battery Tender for the starting battery while in storage and disconnect one ground cable from the house batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...y+tender+solar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 8.43.01 PM.png
Views:	27
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	136807  
Old 08-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #10

+1 for the Battery Tender 10V Solar charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Q86JJ8...ing=UTF8&psc=1. I just conect it to my chassis battery with the easy connector I installed to the battery. Plug it up set the solar panel in my windshield and it maintains my starter battery. If you don't want solar and your plugged into shore power suggest getting Battery Tender Plus, https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...Battery+tender. Gives you 4 stage charging in a small package. Easier to store than the solar panel with same ez hook ups.

Tags
advice