Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-22-2015, 06:38 AM   #1
Trickle Charger for car left at home for the winter

Anyone see any problem with leaving a trickle charger connected to the car staying at home for four months while we are in florida?

Bill P
2004 HR Scepter/2014 CR-V
bpickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
Make sure it is one designed for float operation. They should throttle back the current when the voltage gets high.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
I recommend that you just charge it up good and leave it disconnected.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:06 AM   #4
Trickle chargers are fine to leave for extended periods. Bought one for DWs car last year when were gone. Because the truck can sit for extended periods of time too, bought a second one. Now the trucks batteries are fully charged whenmI get ready to drive it. 1/2 amp is not going to harm or boil a battery any time soon.
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:19 AM   #5

Originally Posted by bpickens View Post
Anyone see any problem with leaving a trickle charger connected to the car staying at home for four months while we are in florida?

Since you even have a trickle charger, I must assume you have dead battery issues like most CRV owners.
After a year of agony with dead battery problems, I replaced the OEM group 51 battery with a much larger group 24 battery and no more dead battery.
I have parked in a hotel lot in sub zero temps for over a month and the car started no problem.

If this is an issue for you, send me a PM and I'd be happy to provide details of the switch which is very simple.
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:36 AM   #6

I have used a trickle charger on the "stay at home" car for 4 + years. Never a problem. Will be hooking it up on 1 January for a 4 month period.
Tom, Jan withn Papillons, Chance N Candy
'13 (60th annaversary) AMBASSADOR 40' DFT
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:34 AM   #7
Wife and I drove truck together and now in the MH. Have left the Yukon at home for as long as 6 mo. Have found a good battery will stay charged and it will start with no problem. Only problem is when the battery was at the end of its life cycle
Bob & Elaine McClelland and the spoiled pup Izzie
2008 Monaco Diplomat
Desert Hills & Parker Az
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #8
When you say trickle charger I assume you are talking about one of these things and they are designed to stay on for long periods because they will stop charging once the battery reaches a full charge. I have these on my motorcycles as well. If you have a charger that never stops charging then that is probably not such a good thing.

Battery Tender® Plus
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C towing a Jeep TJ Wrangler
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #9
Tiffin Owners Club

I am with 530ktm.I have a 4 bank battery tender hooked to motorcycle 3 riding mowers and have a single bank that will be connected to MH.Good Luck.
Billy & Millie (2013 Allegro 36 LA) USMC VET
2013 Hyundai GT, 08 Harley trike
Mastertow dolly/ Great Doxie- Gracie
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not for sale in Calif. or Oregon? Whats with that?

2004 Monaco Monarch
Blueox, SMI, 1990 Wrangler YJ
mfire1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #11
Get a good "Smart" charger and plug it in. We plug the WI vehicles in when we leave for the south and six months later, we plug the AZ vehicles in and go back to fully charged batteries in WI.
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #12
As someone who had a Battery Tender go up in smoke, never again will I either use a Battery Tender or leave one plugged in. Almost cost me my Vette and the garage. The one provided under warranty as the replacement only lasted six months.
2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742 - Gas
ACME Eze Tow Dolly
2008 Chevy Malibu Toad
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Corvette battery has been on a trickle charger for 10 plus years and the battery is 15 plus years old.. I adapt the charger so it plugs into the cigarette lighter.
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #14
I bought the small trickle chargers from Harbor Freight. I put them on both batteries on my Class B for 4 months while I was gone. When I came back it started as if I drove it the day before with no problems.

TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote