Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Trickle chargers on deep cycle house batteries.

The storage lot where I park will only allow us to connect trickle charge or battery maintainers to our rigs. When I left it 2 month ago I thought I had turned of the battery disconnect but to my displeasure on arrival back today both chassis and house were completely dead. I replaced my 2 chassis and added a trickle charger but am confused about the house batteries. There are 4 6v wired in series so if I can use a trickle charger how would I connect it. If I can’t suggestions on keeping them charged when I am gone for a couple of months at a time. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctickats View Post
The storage lot where I park will only allow us to connect trickle charge or battery maintainers to our rigs. When I left it 2 month ago I thought I had turned of the battery disconnect but to my displeasure on arrival back today both chassis and house were completely dead. I replaced my 2 chassis and added a trickle charger but am confused about the house batteries. There are 4 6v wired in series so if I can use a trickle charger how would I connect it. If I can’t suggestions on keeping them charged when I am gone for a couple of months at a time. Thanks

It is simple with the trickle charger for your 6 volt house bank.

- Have the charger set for 12 volt charging

-Connect the positive lead on the charger to the positive battery post that connects directly from the battery bank to the large fuse leading into the coach.

-Connect the negative lead to the negative post that is connected to the chassis ground (that will be the cable going thru the firewall and out of the battery compartment to the chassis ground).

If your coach is like mine, the BIRD system will charge the House first, and then charge the Chassis batteries.

Make sure your electrolyte levels are good and you should be fine as long as it is either a trickle or 3-stage charger.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #3

Put the positive cable of the battery maintainer to either red check mark.

Put the negetive to either black check mark.

You can see that there are jumpers between the 2, 6 volt batteries with nothing else on them. DO NOT use them.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-12-06-17-17-18.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	268796

Your 4 batteries are not wired in series.

They are wired in series/parallel. 2 in series to make 12 volts, two times, and then the two series sets in parallel to give more capacity. In the end its always 12 volts.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctickats View Post
There are 4 6v wired in series so if I can use a trickle charger how would I connect it. If I can’t suggestions on keeping them charged when I am gone for a couple of months at a time. Thanks

You have two 6 volt batteries in series. They are then connected in parallel to provide 12 volts for the coach. Just hook up a trickle charger, I would recommend the Battery Minder, I have had good luck with them. If you are confused what wires to connect to, you will find a single heavy wire running between the Positive and negative posts on the 6 volt batteries. This is the connection point between the batteries. Connect the battery charger to the red terminal (positive Post) on that battery and the Black Terminal (Negative Post) of the other battery. Use a volt meter and where you get 12 volts, that is where to connect the charger.

Tags
batteries, charger, house batteries