Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
google cat scales and use their locator with the 'training' videos

CAT Scale

at the very least you can get steer and drive axle weights too see if you are good to go on the axle weight ratings.

then you have a better idea on the tire psi you need based on the axle weights.

good luck, and good someone else weighs out

on edit - c u know about cat scales...
ask to speak to a mgr and see if he agrees with his staffs customer service efforts !!!

I always like to help mgr's train their staff...

in my business (as in yours) I'm sure you would want to know !!!
Staff loves that kinda stuff
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When we bought the Windsor last year, the first thing I did to it was install the Steer Safe steering stabilizers. I didn't have any steering problems, but wanted them to maintain control in case of a front tire blowout. Thankfully, I haven't had to try them out, but the peace-of-mind is worth the price!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I realize these are nowhere near you, but you might travel in the vicinity of the Escapees SmartWeigh sites sometime. We had our rig weighed at the Escapees facility in Livingston TX; they are very professional and provide a total analysis of the weights, axle loads, recommended tire pressures, etc. SmartWeigh_Default The cost last year was $45, and worth every penny.

Many rallies also have weighing facilities, so keep an eye out for RV rallies in your area. At a minimum I would try to get each axle weighed.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Or a Safe T + steering stabilizer. Another piece of mind install that really helped our coach's handling and blowout protection.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec24 View Post
So for those who have use the CAT scales what's the deal? I've read other places that people need like a broom handle or something to reach the call button on the intercom because they're built for trucks and not RVs (what decade is this?). Also, is there such a thing as a CAT scale that can ONLY weigh the entire weight of the vehicle (as the surly counter girl told me)? Looking at the scale on Bingmaps birds eye view it certainly looks like there are three "plates" there: Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions
It is tall - but judicious pull up and I can reach it out my side window....

there are 3 scales - and they give you three weights and a total weight...
steer axle - front
drive axle - rear
and trailer for those that have

oh and first weigh for us was $10 IIRC and reweigh (within 24 hours) was $1 or so...

Quote:
Staff loves that kinda stuff
well, I try to make it a practice to never do it at a restaurant until AFTER I've eaten !!!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #20

When you get on the scales for the first weigh, see if there is room to drive on with the passenger side wheels off the scales (if it's level with the scales). If there is room:
1. push the button and tell them you want to weigh (all tires on scale)
2. go inside and pay...and tell them you want a reweigh (probably 1 or 2 dollars)
3. drive around to the scales, put only the driver side on the scales, push the button and get another weigh.

Take both weigh tickets home and you can calculate individual wheel weights.

Unfortunately, a lot of the cat scales have unlevel sides or rails that prevent weighing only one side. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Fred
Old 06-04-2013, 01:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Yes, apparently the concept of weighing each tire is lost on quite a few people. I am still calling around and people are perplexed.
I'm fortunate in that the local weigh scale leaves the scale on when they are "closed" and that there is a second bypass lane adjacent and level with the scale. This meant that if I went thru forward, I could weigh the left side one axle at a time, if I went thru in the other direction, could do the right side. Since I knew I would be going against the "do not enter" signs to accomplish this, I called them just to check if this would be OK (when they were closed) and ended up in a long discussion with the "expert" at the station as to why I would want to do this. It ended up with a...sigh...whatever...do whatever you want when we're closed (imagined eye-rolling).

Anyway, FWIW, my results were (happily) that I have lot's of excess capacity with full fuel and water and most of the normal stuff onboard. But, and this is why it's important to do this, the left side with the 2 slides was 1000# heavier than the right (250 on the front and 750 on the rear). I don't think this is a big deal, even if you are doing just axle weights and adding a bit of overhead. However, some rigs are considerably more out of balance than this.

I too am "hyper" about weights and tire pressure. The first rig that I bought before I had the benefit of these fora, was significantly overweight on the front axle with really no way to solve the problem except...inflate to the max and hope for the best! I learned from that, and on the subsequent 2 rigs have insisted that we go over a scale on the test drive (this last time, cost the dealer $35 at a local moving company...he was not happy).

Lastly, I recommend getting a wheel alignment...even on a new rig. Older ones may have wear and the new ones may have been aligned as a bare chassis or after the "coach" was added, but none have been aligned fully loaded. FWIW both of my "new" coaches required some adjustments. This isn't normally so much a safety issue as just potentially tearing up really expensive tires if it's not right.

Cheers,
tfw
wilco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:05 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I also am very concerned about a steer blow out.

Two measures I implemented included installing TYRON bands in the steer wheels and a Blue Ox True Center. Those two measures coupled with under 5 year Michelein XZA2 Energy tires is all that I can do mechanically.

I also clearly understand that in the event of a blow out I must ACCELERATE to maintain control before gently slowing.
jsabatinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same problem at the CAT scale, can't drive on to weigh one half of the coach. The CAT scales I have seen are segmented and weigh each axle independently. You get the weight of each axle and the total weight.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I took ours to a local moving company some years ago. Area was flat enough that I got all wheel weights. Also, in WA state the DOT scales along most major routes are left on even when closed. Digital readout is left on too, area is usually flat enough to do all the wheel positions. Before the uprated front axle was installed I used to weigh quite often, now I know what my weights are and that I'm well under them so it's not a big worry.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsabatinos View Post
I also am very concerned about a steer blow out.

Two measures I implemented included installing TYRON bands in the steer wheels and a Blue Ox True Center. Those two measures coupled with under 5 year Michelein XZA2 Energy tires is all that I can do mechanically.

I also clearly understand that in the event of a blow out I must ACCELERATE to maintain control before gently slowing.
I think you just need to apply enough throttle to maintain control and not just to accelerate, although in an emergency it may be hard to do either one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #26

Just get it weighed. If possible weigh front and back or total. Do the math from there and don't over think it. It would be ideal to have each tire weighed but quit worrying about the minor detail ( I know most will be upset with that comment). Then go by your tire or MH manufacturer on pressure and relax on your trip. 5lbs or so of pressure either way isn't a big deal. I try to get within a couple of lbs., but from there I give up.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I realize these are nowhere near you, but you might travel in the vicinity of the Escapees SmartWeigh sites sometime. We had our rig weighed at the Escapees facility in Livingston TX; they are very professional and provide a total analysis of the weights, axle loads, recommended tire pressures, etc. SmartWeigh_Default The cost last year was $45, and worth every penny.

Many rallies also have weighing facilities, so keep an eye out for RV rallies in your area. At a minimum I would try to get each axle weighed.

I was in Livingston a month ago. Heck.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
OK! I've weighed the coach. Front axle came to 6120 lbs and rear to 12780 lbs. Well below our max load. So looking at my tire chart the lowest psi listed is 80 which gives me 3640 lbs per tire for single and 3415 for dual. That's the lowest psi listed. The is clearly enough to support my load but I went with 85 psi which is 100 lbs more all tires. Unfortunately I don't know what each tires load is so that is the reason I went with 85 psi. Have I gone too much? Should I back it down to 80 psi or should I stick with the 85?