Originally Posted by Fred Cooper
When you get on the scales for the first weigh, see if there is room to drive on with the passenger side wheels off the scales (if it's level with the scales). If there is room:
1. push the button and tell them you want to weigh (all tires on scale)
2. go inside and pay...and tell them you want a reweigh (probably 1 or 2 dollars)
3. drive around to the scales, put only the driver side on the scales, push the button and get another weigh.
Take both weigh tickets home and you can calculate individual wheel weights.
Unfortunately, a lot of the cat scales have unlevel sides or rails that prevent weighing only one side. Maybe you'll get lucky.
Let me add to this...
1. CAT's official policy is to NOT allow this procedure...I have done it several times without a problem.
2. With a tag axle it is a bit more complicated but without one a piece of cake.
3. Be consistent on how you line up on the second weighing. My wife will spot me. I put the centerline of the MH on the left or right edge of the scale.
4. It would be nice for you to carry a 3-4' long broom stick handle to push the button. I've seen that done from many trucks and we need it too.
In my area the first weigh is $10 and each re-weigh is $2. Get your first weight ticket and then return to the scale. You will need the last 4 numbers of the original weight ticket to get the re-weigh price. Also, if I need to get weighed at some place I am not familiar with, I get a satellite picture of the scale to see if it looks like I can get to the side. So far, at CAT scales that hasn't been a problem.
Keep in mind that you may have to back up a little bit to get through the arch but not much if you do. On a couple occasions I actually had truckers parked along the scale tell me I was off the scale on the second weight. LOL I was in a position to explain why and they said they hadn't thought of the need to balance their loads but it made sense after I explained it.
Obviously, if the scale looks like it is going to be busy, don't do this. Find a time when it isn't busy. The first weigh isn't the problem, the second one is where you might tie the scale up.
For more info...How To Weigh | CAT Scale
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.