Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #29

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec24 View Post
OK! I've weighed the coach. Front axle came to 6120 lbs and rear to 12780 lbs. Well below our max load. So looking at my tire chart the lowest psi listed is 80 which gives me 3640 lbs per tire for single and 3415 for dual. That's the lowest psi listed. The is clearly enough to support my load but I went with 85 psi which is 100 lbs more all tires. Unfortunately I don't know what each tires load is so that is the reason I went with 85 psi. Have I gone too much? Should I back it down to 80 psi or should I stick with the 85?
You should have no problem with a 5 pound "cushion" which actually allows you lot of leeway to cover a number of differing conditions. The key is to also make sure your load is balanced from side to side as well.

mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Of course a 4 corner weight is best...but this may not be possible. So.....relax & take your rig to a CAT scale and weigh each axle. This is always possible since to weigh the front you just drive part way "on"... To weigh the back just drive part way "off".

I would then post a question to owners of your rig asking if, in their experience, the MH is pretty much balanced (L to R). Assuming you get a good response you can then give some thought to "how" you have loaded your unit and now you can do some pretty good estimating!

Next step is to reference your tire manf. Inflation charts....add 5lbs p/tire for "fudge" and you're good to go. BTW how old are your tires?
The newer scales can give accurate weights by just driving onto the platform fully.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #31

Quote:
OK! I've weighed the coach. Front axle came to 6120 lbs and rear to 12780 lbs. Well below our max load. So looking at my tire chart the lowest psi listed is 80 which gives me 3640 lbs per tire for single and 3415 for dual. That's the lowest psi listed. The is clearly enough to support my load but I went with 85 psi which is 100 lbs more all tires. Unfortunately I don't know what each tires load is so that is the reason I went with 85 psi. Have I gone too much? Should I back it down to 80 psi or should I stick with the 85?
You're to be commended for sticking with it and getting a good result. Your decision to go with 85 psi in all tires is a good one. You are covered if you are a little heavier on one end of an axle or if you pick up some weight during your trip. Enjoy yourself.

Safe travels.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
All that and I almost had a sidewall blowout! Goodyear G670 RV tire.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #33

Actually you could install "a scale" on your coach. Some have this in the form of measure air pressure. It's pretty simple the more air your coach requires to stay Level means there is automatically a built in way to transfer air in your bags into a weight measure. This option has been used on commercial trucks ( trailers mostly) for many years now. With in reason , the more air you transfer to a air bag, the more weight the axel will carry.Drivers can move weights all over a set of axels by regulating air pressure.(this practice is illegal in some states). I would think this measure could be used in tire air pressure, but, that may not be practical Many coaches have tire air pressure read outs on the dash.They can also be retrofitted . I have a set up that came with my used coach but I so far have not looked at it, as it's still in a box.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Feed store - nursery supply - and the like. That is what I use, nearest scale to me and nice folks. They are patient with you while you turn around to do corner weights.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #35

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
The pressure/weight charts show the minimum pressure for that weight, you can usually run more. Some people run 5-10 psi more to account for higher speeds, pressure loss over time or difference in side to side loading. You should be fine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
When you get on the scales for the first weigh, see if there is room to drive on with the passenger side wheels off the scales (if it's level with the scales). If there is room:
1. push the button and tell them you want to weigh (all tires on scale)
2. go inside and pay...and tell them you want a reweigh (probably 1 or 2 dollars)
3. drive around to the scales, put only the driver side on the scales, push the button and get another weigh.

Take both weigh tickets home and you can calculate individual wheel weights.

Unfortunately, a lot of the cat scales have unlevel sides or rails that prevent weighing only one side. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Fred
Let me add to this...

1. CAT's official policy is to NOT allow this procedure...I have done it several times without a problem.

2. With a tag axle it is a bit more complicated but without one a piece of cake.

3. Be consistent on how you line up on the second weighing. My wife will spot me. I put the centerline of the MH on the left or right edge of the scale.

4. It would be nice for you to carry a 3-4' long broom stick handle to push the button. I've seen that done from many trucks and we need it too.

In my area the first weigh is $10 and each re-weigh is $2. Get your first weight ticket and then return to the scale. You will need the last 4 numbers of the original weight ticket to get the re-weigh price. Also, if I need to get weighed at some place I am not familiar with, I get a satellite picture of the scale to see if it looks like I can get to the side. So far, at CAT scales that hasn't been a problem.

Keep in mind that you may have to back up a little bit to get through the arch but not much if you do. On a couple occasions I actually had truckers parked along the scale tell me I was off the scale on the second weight. LOL I was in a position to explain why and they said they hadn't thought of the need to balance their loads but it made sense after I explained it.

Obviously, if the scale looks like it is going to be busy, don't do this. Find a time when it isn't busy. The first weigh isn't the problem, the second one is where you might tie the scale up.

For more info...How To Weigh | CAT Scale