Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Trip and weighing anxiety

My biggest fear during driving is a blowout. I understand how to handle the situation if it should occur but I want to do all I can to prevent such an event. So I feel it is important to weigh my motorhome before heading out on our long trip. This is a first for me so I went to one of only two commercial weigh stations I am aware of near me. Firstly, what chaos - doesn't help that there's construction going on on the road. Secondly, counter help was mighty surly - but that's another story. Anyway, there's no way to weight each tire individually on this CAT scale. I'm not even certain I can weigh each axle independently because the woman was not very helpful - she indicated it was an all or nothing type of scale. So with that being said I would certainly like to weigh each tire but how is one supposed to locate one of these places? And what if the nearest place is 200 miles away, or more? Allstays "lists" them but it only lists state weigh stations and they are almost never open. I also just called another place with a CAT scale near me and she was unable to give me a definitive as to whether I can get the weight for at least both axles - but could not do all four tires. In fact it seemed almost like a foreign question. So as the time for hitting the road draws nearer my anxiety is building. Do RV dealers weigh motorhomes? Seems they should.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #2

I feel your pain. The cat scales operators or at least some of them are morons. All cat scales can weight each axle. They just cant give you corner weights. If you go on thier website they have information and a video on how this is done. I would add 500lbs to the axle weight for buffer and pay attention to load your rig as even as possuble till you can get corner weights.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I naively thought I could call my RV dealer and they might be able to guide me to a place to have this done. The woman I talked to, in service, had never even heard of someone weighing their RV (scary... I think). Are most people just NOT weighing their motorhomes?
Old 06-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #4

Until you get your actual weights, use your GAWR , Gross Axle Weight Rating. and your tire manufactures inflation chart. Setting your pressures for 100% fully loaded may put you 10PSI or so higher than required but , rather 10 high than 10 low. Also easier to lower pressures after you weigh than raise them , just never adjust the pressure on a hot tire , always first thing in AM before travel.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I have never, in all our years, weighed my motorhome, but then again, we pack lightly and keep the tire pressure at the manufacturers recommended level. Never had a blow out or even a flat.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #6

Of course a 4 corner weight is best...but this may not be possible. So.....relax & take your rig to a CAT scale and weigh each axle. This is always possible since to weigh the front you just drive part way "on"... To weigh the back just drive part way "off".

I would then post a question to owners of your rig asking if, in their experience, the MH is pretty much balanced (L to R). Assuming you get a good response you can then give some thought to "how" you have loaded your unit and now you can do some pretty good estimating!

Next step is to reference your tire manf. Inflation charts....add 5lbs p/tire for "fudge" and you're good to go. BTW how old are your tires?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec24 View Post
I naively thought I could call my RV dealer and they might be able to guide me to a place to have this done. The woman I talked to, in service, had never even heard of someone weighing their RV (scary... I think). Are most people just NOT weighing their motorhomes?
The people who don't weigh their MHs , are just asking for trouble. Correct tire pressure is a must, for good ride and tire life.
RV Dealers would rather you not weigh your RV . JMHO. They don't want you to know how far off their book " dry weights and CCCs " are.
Or that the unit they sold you was overloaded from the factory.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #8

If you have a moving company near you, they have scales. When I talked to the office at the mover near me, they couldn't understand the four corner weighing process, either. Google "weighing a motorhome" and you'll find sites that have illustrations. I printed one and took it with me. I showed the scale operator the pictures and explained what I wanted, and he was more than happy to accommodate me. They charged me for each ticket ($10/ticket, $40 total) but that was much cheaper than a new tire.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Call around to a couple of the larger Class A dealers in your area or along your initial leg of your trip. I had mine weighed at Beckley's RV in Thurmont, Maryland. For less than $100 they weighed each corner twice to make sure my weights where accurate, then they inflated my tires to the Michelin recommended pressure for my tire type, size, and axle weight.

Mike
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Of course a 4 corner weight is best...but this may not be possible. So.....relax & take your rig to a CAT scale and weigh each axle. This is always possible since to weigh the front you just drive part way "on"... To weigh the back just drive part way "off".

I would then post a question to owners of your rig asking if, in their experience, the MH is pretty much balanced (L to R). Assuming you get a good response you can then give some thought to "how" you have loaded your unit and now you can do some pretty good estimating!

Next step is to reference your tire manf. Inflation charts....add 5lbs p/tire for "fudge" and you're good to go. BTW how old are your tires?
My tires are all 2010. That was one thing I made sure of when I bought it - that they were under 5 yr. Thread depth is good. I cannot see any damage. The woman who owned it before us took very good care of it all around so I feel confident that they're in good condition.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydglydrydr View Post
If you have a moving company near you, they have scales. When I talked to the office at the mover near me, they couldn't understand the four corner weighing process, either. Google "weighing a motorhome" and you'll find sites that have illustrations. I printed one and took it with me. I showed the scale operator the pictures and explained what I wanted, and he was more than happy to accommodate me. They charged me for each ticket ($10/ticket, $40 total) but that was much cheaper than a new tire.
Yes, apparently the concept of weighing each tire is lost on quite a few people. I am still calling around and people are perplexed.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
ok - I've exhausted the NH area, I think. Looks like I'll have to go with the CAT and the surly crew just down the road
Old 06-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
google cat scales and use their locator with the 'training' videos

CAT Scale

at the very least you can get steer and drive axle weights too see if you are good to go on the axle weight ratings.

then you have a better idea on the tire psi you need based on the axle weights.

good luck, and good someone else weighs out

on edit - c u know about cat scales...
ask to speak to a mgr and see if he agrees with his staffs customer service efforts !!!

I always like to help mgr's train their staff...

in my business (as in yours) I'm sure you would want to know !!!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
So for those who have use the CAT scales what's the deal? I've read other places that people need like a broom handle or something to reach the call button on the intercom because they're built for trucks and not RVs (what decade is this?). Also, is there such a thing as a CAT scale that can ONLY weigh the entire weight of the vehicle (as the surly counter girl told me)? Looking at the scale on Bingmaps birds eye view it certainly looks like there are three "plates" there: Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions