Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-03-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
Trip Number 2 More Problems

So after our shakeout trip a couple weeks ago in our new to us motorhome we are on our maiden journey, a short 4 hr trip to Kentucky for spring break. (can't wait to hear the stories the kids will tell their teachers what they learned on the bourbon tour... )

Anyway I have had a chronic leak from the top of the window on the driver side of the rig. The leak is coming from between the window and the overhead storage above the drivers head. The storage compartment is dry, but the water is working its way onto the dash dripping on the transmission shifter and now onto the floor. The dealership has attempted to fix it 3 times now, the latest time just 2 days ago.

Driving down to Kentucky in the rain there leak appeared to be fixed until last night when the rain just came down and the leak looked like a slow dripping faucet. The carpet under the pedals all the way to the drivers seat is soaked and we now have used 4 towels sopping it all up.

So we try to use the washer and dryer for the first time on some of the towels to use them again and the and the washing machine works but the water will not drain from the machine and when the water does not drain you can not open the door, so there are our now clean but still wet towels until I figure out how to fix that problem.

We then had to switch campsites because of the river running through our site from all the rain water and when we got setup in the new "dry" site I noticed new wet spots in the carper that aligned with all the points where the slides went in. I "think" this is normal, but can someone with a 2007 Revolution or similar year confirm this is a normal experience? The carpet is now stained brown where the slides came in as well.

Oh and the problem I had on the last trip with the bathroom faucets is back... I'll deal with that one tomorrow but for now I need a beer and a god night sleep!

Frustrated in Kentucky!

borourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
Sorry to hear about the issues you had. First trip to canada. I had same issue of water leaking on dash board. That was due to cracked in clearance marker light. Replaced the light and problem solved. Passenger side Window leaked due to heavy rain. Recaulked top of the Window and it stopped. Hope you find the cause of the leak

2015 Ace 30.2
2009 Porsche Cayman
1981 Hondamatic
Mahakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I bought my bus they had to replace the front window. It took 4 tries to the dealer to finally get it fixed. I finally got to go to the dealers when it was raining. I spent the night in their parking lot and the next morning when they opened up I could show them the wet area and where it was coming in around the windshield. Sometimes that is what it takes to get it fixed.

I have had my bus going on two years now. I am still finding things that need to be fixed or having new ones that need to be fixed. REmember a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into. They do not call Motorhomes Land Yachts for nothing.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
Thanks for the comments back, I think I just needed to vent. Gemini, I am familiar with the term, I actually sold my boat to get this rig! D'oh!
borourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:13 PM   #5
National RV Owners Club
Water is insidious. I had it coming in over the cockpit from a problem with the front cap. I also had an issue with water running out of the gutter down the side and into the driver window. I got the cap issue fixed and after re-caulking the driver side window, added plastic rain spouts to help move water away from the side of the rig. Water problems now solved but at first, between roof and leaky plumbing issues, I was about to go insane. Keep the faith, you will work through the issues and as you do, you will spend more time enjoying and less time repairing.
1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:30 AM   #6
Sorry to here about your troubles the only leak I've had was the sky light over the shower,the caulking cracked resealed good as new. As for the slide water do you have gutters on the sides and is the topper in good shape,was the topper like a swimming pool when you pulled in. Did they reseal lights on top?
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #7

Water coming in there can be from a few different sources.

As mentioned: Marker lights, try taping them over when you know it's going to rain. Fast, easy way to eliminate 1 area.

The seam where the front cap meets the main body of the coach. This one is sneaky. The sealant may look good, but one small crack lets the water in.

Both of these can let water in 3 to 4 feet away from where it drips into the coach. The water will follow a brace or wiring around till it finds a way out.

Good luck.
2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We "had" a leak above the windshild ran a bead of caulk around the windshield, still a little leak , turns out to be a marker light.Going to replace all of them around the mh with Leds and a bead of caulking.
Good luck on finding your leak.
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
You gotta check everything and FAST - i know because I'm pulling 8 thousand dollars worth of wall out.

All bolts and screws at the roofline.
All seal around the window and inside the window.
Around the windshield
Around the MARKER LIGHTS on top!
Around the antennas.
Around anything else on the roof near the front.
If your wipers are up top, around those too.

If the water makes its way into the luan, it's a problem

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote