Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #1

Wink Trip planing

Is there a club or program that makes trip planning easy?
Say you want to go up the east coast and would like to plan a trip from Florida and do about 100 to 300 miles a day, how would you do it?

Thank you in advance.

Bob Foisy
Bob Foisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good Sam Trip Planner on line, Microsoft Streets and Trips, Allstays on my Ipad.

Good Sam will only work with Magellon GPS.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Good Sam Trip Planner also works with Rand McNally GPS, but you can use it without any GPS. Streets and Trips is my favorite. Very easy to use and informative, inexpensive to buy. But you Windows to run it, it will not run on Mac OS.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #4

I like rv trip wizard (rvtripwizard.com). The downside is that it is only available online and there is a reasonable subscription cost. The authors have included all the major campgrounds / clubs and parks and are very fast at adding any that are identified as missing. The system uses Google maps so cartography is pretty accurate and you can zoom in for Sat views. Campground entries generally have links to the campsite's website.

You can specify your driving limits (miles, hours, etc) and the system will display your selection graphically. Routes can be downloaded to gps friendly format.

I am not associated with the company just a satisfied user.

Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
What he said!! Just started using it and it appears quite flexible, although I have found a few minor issues when using it.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Trip planning for us, how long of a trip(still working w/6 weeks paid), choose a destination(reservations made for a predetermined time), A tentative route(flexible for scenery) other than this, no other reservations(1-2 days out if needed) stop, sight see, eat, travel more, repeat sightseeing, eating out, cooking out and just plain enjoying the Journey.......Best part of the trip, as the Destination is the turn-a-round point.......after we enjoy and explore the Destination. We traveled like this around the USA on our Harley's for years, loved the Freedom of no time frame and no plans , and we do the same in the Coach when we travel now. And........ the only time I wear wrist watch is at work.......and it does not go on vacation.......
When I retire in 6 yrs. the Destination and the watch are gone forever...........It will just be a Journey from then on out......
Old 02-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #7

Work life is (was) stuctured enough. Our plan was No Plan.

Got 2 weeks? Pick a direction according to the weather channel. Drive 4 to 6 hours. Wander. Find the obscure gems in places most do not go to. We were never bored, continuously entertained, learned much, and did not fight traffic to do it all.

No Plan still works. Check our blog.

Okay, it was about 10% planned.

Happy trails!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:01 PM   #8

I would like go to southern Mexico to Cancun or near there we need to go with someone that has been there or a caravan, it would be late 2014 and early 2015. We would be traveling in my 4301 mountain aire and toad. we are fulltimers so time is not a issue. we are healthy with two dogs thanks for your input
myliladog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This site might be helpful, Bob: Radius Around a Point on a Map

It's easy to figure out a point to point. It's harder to have a 1500 mile trip and figure out where the 250-300 mile points are on that trip. It's a little odd to work out but if you use the "Options" are (under the map) it starts to make sense. BTW, refresh your browser to clear the screen.
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like good sams trip planner You can tell it how far you want to go in a day. Your fuel mileage, If I recall correctly how low you like to let your tank go before you refill. It will tell you where fuel stations are based on your mileage and refill point. Camp grounds along the mileage you say you want to stop for the night etc. Multiple stops. They have just modified the program on the Rand McNally RV GPS to allow you to hook it up to your computer and download the Good Good sams trip to it.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:24 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Good Sam Trip Planner on line, Microsoft Streets and Trips, Allstays on my Ipad.

Good Sam will only work with Magellon GPS.
Rand McNally has modified the software. Do a free software update on the RAnd McNally and you can download the Good Sam Trip Planner right to the RAnd Mcnally
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by myliladog View Post
I would like go to southern Mexico to Cancun or near there we need to go with someone that has been there or a caravan, it would be late 2014 and early 2015. We would be traveling in my 4301 mountain aire and toad. we are fulltimers so time is not a issue. we are healthy with two dogs thanks for your input
JMHO - - This should be a new and separate thread. We're responding to the OP original thread here.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #13

Wandering is always the most enjoyable experience. Unless you need to make a B-line to a specific event or reservation, just take your time, enjoy each mile, and call ahead about 2 hours before you're ready to "land" for the night.

Exit Now is excellent, Woodall's is excellent, a number of travel books are available for particular sections of the country. These are all available at a good bookstore.

We will "fly by" certain areas of the U.S. that we feel we've pretty well covered. We will do the same when we know that the roads in that area require a LOT of patience and we want to be 500 miles west of there in 2 days.

You'll find you own system for covering this gorgeous country. It doesn't need to be scientific or detailed to be fun and affordable.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #14

We use wundergroundweather.com on any trip. Inter your date and time of departure and it will give forecast weather along the route. My main planner is MS Streets and Maps but its nice to know what is expected weather wise too.
Regwal is offline   Reply With Quote