Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Trip software and apps

I would have 'thunk' that this would be an often recurring topic, but I honestly did a search with the topic above and came up with no threads specifically talking about this...I apologize if this is a talked-to-death subject.

What if anything, do you use as a trip guide?

We have used Magellan before...but really didn't like it much. It's a very old unit, was crazy expensive to update, and we often confused it when traveling....if we were on a new stretch of road or any changes....it would show up on the screen like we were out in the middle of nowhere.

I got used to my smartphone and Google. I can say "OK Google", then "driving directions from my location to xxx address, and I get detailed directions in a split second, and a friendly female voice telling me how to get there.

Since purchasing our new to us Travel Supreme, Hubby Bob ordered a new Magellan...the RV addition with unlimited free upgrades.
So I guess the point of all this is to spark conversation about trip planning software. What you like and why, or any tips that might not be apparent to us with the Magellan.
I also downloaded a free app for my smartphone called "Roadtrippers". I can plan a trip on my computer or SP. I've payed around with it but that's all.
Again, sorry if this is a repetitive topic, I really tried to search before I typed all this.
sharonlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 08:50 AM   #2

I use an app called inroute which lets you plan multiple legs of a trip. I use that for planning and it works great. I use google maps while driving. Our truck has a touch screen and android auto works great. I had to ditch my iphone and buy an android because apple auto only allows apple maps, which stinks. Now with an android i get google maps on the truck screen. I also have a paper atlas because they're great fun. We also have a big laminated wall map we draw on with markers to track our travels.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
I have a Rand McNally RVND7735 which is similar to the Magellan you have.

One thing that my RVND7735 does that the Google driving directions app might not do is take into account Low Clearance items such as overpasses and train crossings.

Your Magellan should alert you as well if it is for RVs.
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW , 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canines" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & Fawn [Chihuahua] and “Felines” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH], Mystique [DLH]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
I use an app called inroute which lets you plan multiple legs of a trip. I use that for planning and it works great. I use google maps while driving. Our truck has a touch screen and android auto works great. I had to ditch my iphone and buy an android because apple auto only allows apple maps, which stinks. Now with an android i get google maps on the truck screen. I also have a paper atlas because they're great fun. We also have a big laminated wall map we draw on with markers to track our travels.
I have google maps on my iPhone. Maybe they have caught up with android. works! I use the good sam trip planner. I then put addresses in my garmin RV GPS.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
rvparky.com

I uses it to put my itinerary together and find campgrounds. You can even export the file and load it on many GPS's

Biggest thing is it is free. Give it a Whirl
Old 05-18-2016, 10:11 AM   #6

Pre-planning is done on computer with Street Atlas USA and then an export of the trip plan to MS Excel for further calculations and modifications.

Once stops are all determined, the trip plan is added to my Garmin with the addresses of each stop.
JumboJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:15 AM   #7

we just use our phones......hasn't steered us wrong so far.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
we just use our phones......hasn't steered us wrong so far.
What do you do when you are in a location with no data services?
Old 05-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
What do you do when you are in a location with no data services?
I use co-pilot as it doesn't need data connection. I have Verizon so not very often without coverage.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #10

yep...verizon.....hasn't happened so far.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use RVPARKING.COM application to find RV parks in a new area. Doesn't help with directions but it's pretty good to see campgrounds around you or where you're going.
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longweekends View Post
I use RVPARKING.COM application to find RV parks in a new area. Doesn't help with directions but it's pretty good to see campgrounds around you or where you're going.
Did you mean RVParky.com?

Are you using the phone ap or the computer site. The computer site does do mapping and that map can be exported to a gpx file that can then be copied to some gps units and used as your routs.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Seems like most of threads on "trip planning" end up focused on routing/map software. Obviously that's a crucial part of planning a trip - but it's certainly not the only facet. I tend to view "trip planning" more holistically - and use a variety of apps to put together our plans.

Once my DW and I have decided on a destination and a basic timeline (i.e., when do we want to leave, when do we need to be at our destination and when do we need to be back home) - it's usually up to me to put together the plan. Here are the apps I use and what I use 'em for.

Google Maps: Route planning - i.e, what's the high level route we plan to follow.
Allstays and RV Parky: Identifying potential campgrounds along our route.
Google Search: Research into points of interest we might want to stop at, research into campgrounds identified by the Allstays and/or RV Parky apps.
Excel: High Level Budget/Expense plans (projected fuel costs, projected campground fees, etc.)

We tend to follow a loose itinerary for trips that have multiple "destinations" - especially if we're making campground reservations in advance. I use a "custom" calendar that I've created in Excel to lay out our itinerary (i.e., where we plan to be each night of the trip, my "work status" (Weekend, Working, vacation day) for each day of the trip (Note that I work from the road - and must therefore keep my management informed of my work status and schedule).

Putting the plan together is an iterative process that's affected by all sorts of things - including campground availability (this can be a big deal when travelling during peak seasons - like Florida in the winter!), plans to hook up with friends along the way, events/attractions that we decide are in the "We gotta see this!" category.

Finally, I use Microsoft OneNote to pull it all together. A copy of the "calendar" gets put onto a page. I create a page for every "destination" we plan to stay at - along with "sub-pages" with anything associated with our planned stay at that destination. The "sub-pages" often include copies of our reservation confirmation; Area attractions we are interested in seeing while we're there; Names, addresses and phone #'s of people we plan to visit, etc. Anything and everything associated with the plan gets saved somewhere in the OneNote trip plan.

I keep the OneNote file containing the trip plan in a OneDrive folder which we both access (and update) from our personal laptops, iPhones and/or iPads. I love the fact that I can walk into a campground office ... and pull up my reservation # directly from OneNote on my iPhone - and be able to show whoever's at the desk my confirmation email, tell 'em who I talked too when making plans/reservations and the day I talked to 'em. It's all in there ... and always in my pocket so I'm never chasing paper.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
One Note is an excellent program for any type of planning, lists, or journaling.