RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2018, 08:06 AM   #15

Trip to Alaska

We did a 61 day trip that took us thru Alberta, British Columbia and Alaska. This was a tour with Fantasy RV. Had a great time, coach and toad windshields needed to be replaced when we got home. Toad paint took a beating and the coach needed “tightening “. Covered over 12k miles - once in a lifetime trip! 12k included travel from Florida and back.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #16

The long ad flap, going over frost heaves, which are a dip in the road will cause it to hit the gravel and kick up gravel onto the towed. It also happens in gravel construction areas also. You need just flaps behind the rear wheels. There has been several posts on this subject in the past.

vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #17

Do not go to Alaska if dirt and possible damage to the MH or toad causes you excessive emotional strain. Roads there are not a constant,in that, the road that you found terrible, may be repaired two weeks later.Our first trip there in 2014 cost me both MH windshields and a windshield in the toad as well as substantial paint damage to same. We went again this past Summer and sustained no damage to either vehicle. The use of a newly acquired bra for the CRV helped in that regard. I left the bra on for the entire trip and that caused a slight abrasion-related haze across the top of the CRV hood. The first frost heave you encounter at speed is a learning experience that no one should miss-it makes great conversation around the camp fire! Go have fun.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
We had a wonderful trip to Alaska in 2013, just had motorcycle (rack on back of RV) and no toad, which made it easy to pull into lots and other places. We took the Seat to Sky Hwy going north. We loved the city of Dawson,in Yukon. Had to take a small ferry across the Yukon to the Top of the World Hwy. There were some narrow sections to that highway. In one place a pick up truck stopped us to warn some tour busses were heading into Chicken. We stopped. I felt the tour bus was inches from my mirror and they were steaming up hill. We were just enjoying the view and glad we were on the inside of the road. Steep drop off to the right of the uphill busses.

We were on lots of unpaved roads, but the only windshield damage came on the paved road out of Hyder. A pick up truck driver was weaving all over the road coming toward us, running his right tires into the loose rock on the shoulder and back into the lane. He kicked up a rock and bang. Maybe that was his "humor"? Fortunately the chip only cracked gradually as we headed south and were able to wait until home to have the windshield replaced.

They mark the road heaves really well, and when I saw the warning signs I slowed down. Besides we enjoyed driving slow and went really slow if there was no other vehicles around just to enjoy the scenery.

The Cassiar Hwy had construction and some narrow parts, but never had oncoming traffic so I could pick where I wanted to roll. Spent the worst (only bad night really) night of the trip off the Cassiar hwy at Boya Lake. A swarm of mosquitoes invaded our coach. We left very early and had to buy some stuff the next morning to smoke them out.

Our RV is just under 34' and the only place your size might matter was if you are going to use a ferry. The one from Haines to Skagway was expensive, and you are charged by the foot. We took 3 months and it was a great trip. I do hope to go back.

And one tip, someone suggested using PAM cooking spray on the front of our RV to make bug clean-up easier. DON'T BELIEVE IT if anyone says that. It was the worst stuff to clean off, no simple wash off. Have a great trip!

Ha, thanks for the tip on “Pam”.
Vacationfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:05 PM   #19

Maybe we need some kind of plexiglass shield mounted out in front of the windshield - or a metal plate covering the windshield with little slots cut it to see through
Old 01-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Maybe we need some kind of plexiglass shield mounted out in front of the windshield - or a metal plate covering the windshield with little slots cut it to see through
Your humour is well taken but in that same vein, your first job every morning will be to clean the windshield so that no scene is obscured. DW has a pretty decent camera with which she records the constantly evolving.awe-inspiring landscape.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #21

Some of the folks on our trip used a bra that went from front bumper to just beyond the top of the windshield. Their toads had no damage at all. Material was considerably thicker than the typical “sports car” type bra.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:29 PM   #22

My daughter lives in Fairbanks, Alaska and they bought the 05 Monaco in Portland, Or in 2008 took it home without any problems. They take it to Valdez every year to go fishing plus they left Fairbanks end of August 2016 gone 8 months pulling a 2016 Ford Edge to Arizona then back home no road chips. They did install the Protect-A-Tow. They get all there road chips on Chena Hot Springs Rd. just going to town.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #23

We've been to the Yukon and Alaska 5 different times with a pickup and fifth wheel and have never needed to replace a windshield or had any paint damage. As others have said slow down for the frost heaves, (they are marked) and also for the gravel sections. I agree with doing the Alaskan highway one way and doing the Cassier the other way. Enjoy your trip.
LadyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:38 PM   #24

We too made a trip to Alaska in 2015 10,000 miles from Chicago Fairbanks Anchorage return. We lost our motorhome windshield as well as our toad windshield on the trip and agree with all of the above posts with construction truck drivers seemingly enjoying throwing rocks at motorhomes. Well we did slow down for the frost heaves occasionally you would run over one at a speed higher than you would like. We eventually tied our clothes hangers to the clothes bar to avoid all the clothes coming off the clothes bar and ending up in the bottom of our closet —just a suggestion.
Tonkexpress1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #25

We live in AK and have done the trip every other year for the past 15. The road conditions vary based on construction and season. If you are worried about rocks go in January, no construction or traffic. We leave the lower 48 mid May, taking two weeks for the drive, that early very little traffic and empty campgrounds, leaving end of Sept same thing. We have stopped using the Alaska Hwy due to the heavy oil truck traffic and prefer the Cassiar. Even worth it backtracking to Laird Hot Springs. Just do it, you won't regret.
Soiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
X2 My trip to Alaska cost almost $8000 to repair the glass and paint damage to the motorhome and toad. Never again !!!
Sounds like there's more to the story?

Wundertaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:27 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I was laid off in early 2009 and decided what the heck, once in a lifetime chance so we went to AK.

We drove the Alcan going up and the Cassier coming back down. We did get a chip in the windshield between Denali and Fairbanks but that could happen anywhere.

The trip was well worth it. If you are that concerned about the condition of your coach leave it parked.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Go to the dollar store and buy a bunch of the i-pad screen protectors! They advertise that they will protect screens from cracking and some even show a hammer. It has to work since everyone knows that advertisers never lie..... 😁
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmark View Post
I wouldn't worry about taking a motorhome to Alaska. We didn't have any chips in paint and no cracked glass. I know that I may get a broken windshield as just part of the trip, but I have had windshields broken in the lower 48. You must take off the ad flap on the back of motorhome, as it will just do damage to the towed. If you see a truck coming, and if the gravel area is short, slow down and let them cross first. If you see a truck coming in a gravel area, slow way down and pull to the right as much as possible. If there wasn't anyone behind us, we would almost stop. Speed is much of the cause of damage, from hitting frost heaves too fast to going to fast in gravel areas. There is very little traffic, so you can slow way down when needed. I remember in Destruction Bay area there was construction for several miles of very rough road and we could only go 10 - 15 miles per hour. Most roads are as good as the lower 48 and it is just the frost heaves and construction areas that are bad. We will be going to Alaska in two years again. Allow plenty of time for the trip. We allow 3 1/2 months for the trip.

mdvs is offline   Reply With Quote