Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Trip to Washington D.C.

Planning a trip to Washington D.C this fall (Mid Oct). We will be leaving Pell City, Alabama. This is only our second long trip, and by far the longest.

Thinking about staying in 'over night parking' till we get to DC area. Need a place to stay while we spend 2-3 nights in DC area to visit sites.

Any suggestions on where to stay?

Mike DeCastra
2014 Southwind 32VS
2014 Grand Cherokee
mdecastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #2

2014 Thor Palazzo 35.1
Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2014 THOR PALAZZO 35.1
2015 Equinox Toad
bandorr2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #3
I second Cherry Hill!
Docschro98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:45 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
X2 on Cherry Hill. Follow their directions in, not your GPS, the GPS is not RV friendly around DC.
2008 Monaco Camelot 42 DSQ
Irondale, Alabama
38 Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:04 AM   #5
DO NOT attempt to take your RV into the District. There is no place to park and the streets are often narrow, rough, and low overheads. Do as others have suggested and stay at Cherry Hill and take the Metro into the District. The Metro is safe (during the day) and very convenient
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:06 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X5 on Cherry Hill. Stayed there four times.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #7
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cherry Hill is a very good choice (we've stayed there several times when in DC on business)

They have a transit bus stop at the RV park that takes you to the Metro Station, then its an easy Metro trip into DC (Union Station). If I remember, from the time we get on the metrobus at ther RV park until we get off the train at Union station is about 45 minutes. with one train switch

On Sundays, its a little different. The bus route changes and you need to go to a different Metro Station.

The folks at the Cherry Hill park can explain all this to you.

There is a lot for kids to do at the RV park, it is crowded, but very friendly, and laid out nicely.

OH YAH - I second the poster who said don't even think about taking your RV into DC. I don't even take my car into DC. way to much traffic mess and the Metro will take me anywhere I need to go around the DC area.
2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #8
Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I live in the DC area and while Cherry Hill is a good choice if you want to take the Metro or buses to DC here are 3 other alternatives:

Prince William Forest RV Campground, Dumfries, VA
Bull Run Regional Park Campground, Centreville, VA
Greenbelt Park Campground, Greenbelt, MD
Little Bennett Regional Park, Clarksburg, MD
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A
mikebreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #9
Greenbelt Park, a National Park site just north of the District in MD. Scenic (in the woods), close to College Park Metro station (easy access to downtown D.C.). Inexpensive. No hookups but with a dump station.
LewBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #10
We hosted at Greenbelt 2 years ago. It was quite, clean, and safe. Not to mention about 10% of the cost of Cherry Hill (if you have the geezers pass.) It has water faucets scattered around the park and a dump station No hookups, but you will be touring all day anyhow. There is a great Chinese buffet (not fancy, but very good food and cheap) nearby. Turn right at the street that goes to the university. It is a block down on the left.

There is way too much to see in DC to do in 3 days. But, the thing that affected me most was the Holocaust Museum. Near the end of the exhibit, you walk into a room with 4000 shoes in a display. Fancy women's shoes--men's work shoes--children's shoes--plain women's shoes You can smell the old leather and feet. Then, it hits you that all these shoes were being worn by people minutes before they died.
Jim and Darlene Wright
plus Ryder, the Ethiopian
monkeybeaver dog
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #11
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you plan to go with Cherry Hill give them a call regarding the various DC Metro line shut downs that might effect getting into DC. I'm pretty sure the Red Line will be down in October but not sure which sections of the line will not be usable.

Mid fall is a good time for seeing DC. Crowds should be low and weather much more comfortable.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:08 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cherry Hill Park
2015 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
F53 Roadmaster Trac Bar
bobgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #13
I have stayed at Cherry Hill in the past with FMCA Chapter campouts. Having worked in many "No Salute Zones" in the District and surrounding areas for many years as stated do not drive in DC. You have not lived until you have seen some poor tourist stuck in one of the inner lanes in a large traffic circle. So much to see, much of which will make you very humble such as the WWII Memorial. Safe trip!
G Man & Wife
2016 Bay Star 3403
Longshot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:47 PM   #14
What's the roads like driving in to Cherry? Is traffic crazy or are there better days and times? Probably coming in from the west along 70? ( no map where I'm at).

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude, Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote