Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2015, 10:18 AM   #1

Question Trip: USA to Canada: 2004 Dutch Star - 41' with Jeep Wrangler

2004 Dutch Star - 41' - Jeep Wrangler

My family and I will be going to Canada from New Hampshire next year. Other than passports, are there special regulations? Are kids for example required to be buckled up on a couch, weight limits, etc.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #2

Seat belts required, and no firearms to be transported across the border.
NOTE: there are some ways to get a firearm into Canada, and there are many posts on the subject of obtaining permits for shotguns.
Check with your insurance company to make sure your covered.
Some food restrictions and live plants, I have the web site for the restrictions on another computer , I'll re-post when I find it.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:39 AM   #3

That would be appreciated!
Old 12-13-2015, 02:43 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
There are numerous ways to obtain information regarding cross border travel. Sometimes information from well intentioned persons can be misleading and incorrect, potentially leaving you in a very compromised situation. They only reliable place for this type of information is directly from those who enforce the regulations, in this case Canada Border Services.

The above link will provide most of the information you need as well as reliable links to official information sources.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The last time we went to Canada it was easy to get into Canada and a PITA to get back into the US. We did little but show ID to get into Canada, but coming back had a full RV inspection and they confiscated all our fruit that didn't have stickers on it showing it came from the US. I also had to play 20 questions with the INS guy before he would pass us through.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on what Ron H posted.

Do not rely on posts but do the research yourself to make sure you are in compliance both going into Canada but coming back into the USA.

One issue was that we were traveling with dogs so my wife had to have certificate of vaccinations and that the dogs were in good health. Also, there is a limit on how much dog food you are allowed to bring in.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #7

Getting back into the US should not be a problem just tell them you're from Syria or Guatemala, or Mexico.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:23 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Was up in Canada summer of 2014 circling Lake Huron. Regulations are something best to get directly from the Canadians but there are a couple of items sometimes over looked.

We entered at Niagara and return thru Sault Ste. Marie. Basically the same experience as barmcd returning but nothing confiscated. Just be truthful with any questions with short direct answers. Write down everything you buy and how much it cost. Makes it easier then trying to remember. Was just the myself, the Navigator and our dog. Both of us had passports along with a rabies/health cert for the dog.

Check with you cell phone carrier regarding international travel. At the time we had T-Mobile with no cost data but a small cost for voice and text messages. We made one phone a Wi-Fi hot spot and used the other phone for calls using the Wi-Fi. Good signal when we were on the Trans Canada Highway (3G speed) but limit once off the beaten trail.

Merchants are years ahead of us with chips imbedded credit cards so you might have problems if you still have a non-chipped card such as a debit card. Don't forget to tell your bank you're headed out so they don't shut your cards off. Speaking of banks, check what the international transaction fees might be so you aren't surprised a month after you get home.

Roads were good. Not much different than our interstates around the urban areas but once you get out in more rural regions one maybe two lanes in each direction separated by double yellows.

Map your fuel stops so you know you can get in and out. There are truck stops along major highways but better safe than sorry. And as mentioned check with you insurance carried regarding a Canada endorsement (coach and tow) and your ERS provider.

We had a great time up north. Never had to run the AC even in July. Have fun.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #9

I would like to thank everyone that took the time to reply. Very helpful information!
Old 12-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
canada regs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvetteman View Post
2004 Dutch Star - 41' - Jeep Wrangler

My family and I will be going to Canada from New Hampshire next year. Other than passports, are there special regulations? Are kids for example required to be buckled up on a couch, weight limits, etc.
yes kids must be buckled up as well as you and the DW , weight limits apply to back road bridges and maybe ferries , length if you are towing a trailer(65 ft avg) speed is in kilometers 60 mph = 100 kmph

and you could get into trouble with the language in Quebec or Newfoundland
roadster27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #11

I see another member posted the border services link.

Something I keep forgetting to mention; take your coach height, length and weight; and convert them all to the metric equivalent. Then post those numbers on your dash for quick reference.
Nothing worse than coming to a low underpass , with only metric height listed on the sign, and not knowing if you'll clear.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Getting back into the US should not be a problem just tell them you're from Syria or Guatemala, or Mexico.

EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read the first few posts
Old 12-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Toad brake is required in all provinces.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:22 AM   #14

we went thru Calais Maine into NB in September, our first time, with our newly issued passport card with no problems at all - just the typical questions, but no search and no one came out to inspect.
Beautiful country, great time on PrinceEdwardIsland(PEI) and back thru NS, NB, QB, ON, and back into US thru Port Huron.(including GrandFallsNB, HaskillFreeLibraryQB/VT, and Canadian side of NiagaraFalls)
QB province is mainly French signage and metric, with some English, but it's fun trying to translate the meanings. Love all of the Moose warnings, and you might even see one or two - we did, on the back of hunter's trucks! (What a sight)
No problems with roads, driving, fueling(metric liters in cents, such as "109.00", which takes some calculating). Prices are higher but your US dollars based credit card should net you a 25% discount after CA$ to US$ translation. You can use cash but you probably wont get the 'discount'.
Our most aggravation was re-entering our own country! I think it was a combination of a border guard with a new trainee, and our doggie who did not have her shots up to date. That probably helped prompt them to enter our rig and have a quick look around(they made us stay in our seats while they looked in the fridge, cabinets, bedroom, etc.) I was glad they didnt ask to see in every outside bay compartment. They eventually let us thru after a warning to get pet shots up to date with paperwork. Nice : /
They didnt ask if all the 'humans' had paperwork up to date!

GO! have fun ...

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada, dutch star