Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2005, 12:08 AM   #1

Hi,

I have lurked off and on, but never joined.
We have just gone from a 23 ft. 85 fleetwood Jamboree to one above.

I want to know if anyone has had one, any problems, likes or dislikes. We paid 24000.00
at the dealership.
It is immaculate and body is perfect. We have not gone over it as the dealership was closing.
We put a deposit to hold it, and are going back to REALLY look at it and finalise purchase.
It has a bubble on the side that is hard to notice.
My hubby asked, and they said we can drill a hold and fill it with glue and press it down.
Is this okay?
My hubby said he didn't think it had any wood in the side. So it isn't water damage.
What do you think?
I learned from this site last year to tear a class c apart to check for water in the upper bunk. My hubby did not listen and now we are stuck fixing the water damage in the old one before we can sell it.

Sorry for the long post.
Please let me know if you think I got a good deal, and no BIG problem to be aware of.

Michelle

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2005, 12:08 AM   #2

Hi,

I have lurked off and on, but never joined.
We have just gone from a 23 ft. 85 fleetwood Jamboree to one above.

I want to know if anyone has had one, any problems, likes or dislikes. We paid 24000.00
at the dealership.
It is immaculate and body is perfect. We have not gone over it as the dealership was closing.
We put a deposit to hold it, and are going back to REALLY look at it and finalise purchase.
It has a bubble on the side that is hard to notice.
My hubby asked, and they said we can drill a hold and fill it with glue and press it down.
Is this okay?
My hubby said he didn't think it had any wood in the side. So it isn't water damage.
What do you think?
I learned from this site last year to tear a class c apart to check for water in the upper bunk. My hubby did not listen and now we are stuck fixing the water damage in the old one before we can sell it.

Sorry for the long post.
Please let me know if you think I got a good deal, and no BIG problem to be aware of.

Michelle

Old 03-10-2005, 03:22 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Michelle, first let me say welcome to irv2.com. Glad to see that you have finally registed and officially joined. I have not heard any bad things on the Tripple E's. The bubble you mention does concern me a little but not seeing it makes it impossible to determine if it is infact delamination or not. CHeck it out closely and you should do ok. Good luck with the new coach and enjoy.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 03:34 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Michelle,

Welcome to iRV2, we're really glad to have you here as a new member and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures. You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them.

If the small bubble is indeed delamination, it could be a concern to the structural integrity and future resale value of the rig. It depends on how severe the delamination is.

You might want to do a search on the word delamination, I did one and found 46 threads on the subject.

As you'll see, they're eager to help and share their knowledge and experiences with others.

Again, welcome to iRV2, we're glad you joined.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've never owned one but Triple_e's have a pretty good reputation. They are Canadian built and that generally means good things about quality.

Delamination occurs between the layers of the sidewall panels, which are vacuum-bonded sheets. Sometimes it is a manufacturing defect - a void in the glue that allows the layers to separate. I had a Southwind like that and they never spread any further once they lifted. They weren't very noticeable and I never did fix them. Other times a delamination will result from water seepage inside the walls and those will continue to deteriorate. Water can get in around windows frames and where the roof is joined to the sidewalls if the joints are not sealed adequately. If that is the case you have to get the root casue fixed before repairing the delamination itself. It can be very difficult to tell if water has been seeping and often you just caulk every possiblke seem above the area and hope for the best.

As far as a repair of the raised area itself, yes the process is to inject glue and clamp it down. It can be difficult to clamp a vertical surface if you have no experience in this sort of thing, so you might want to insist that the dealer arrange the repair. At the very least, get a cost estimate for the repair.

Check www.nadaguides.com for the value of this motorhome to make sure the price reflects the cost of repair. I would expect at least a 10% discount from the NADA average retail price even if there was no damage, so the price you negotiate should be well under that unless the repair is included in the price.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:20 AM   #6

Hi,
Thank you for welcoming me.
RED FLAGS:

Delamination/big bubble is under the window in the driver side.
Hubby is worried it is water damage.

It is a 99 triton v-10 which our mechanic a very trustworthy guy, has told us it was the worst v-10 for blowing pistons. He said go to 2000.

Hubby is running the vin to the mechanic to double check. I guess there are 2 types of trannies. One which is good, one is the bad type.

I am not a good judge, as I have fallen in LOVE with it on sight due to the pristine look of everything and cabinet space to die for.

I have agreed not to talk us into it. As I just WANT IT!!!!

I usually am the one with the clear head.

I talked to the sales guy, and told him I wanted the bubble fixed, glue thru the side whatever. It is also getting a scheduled tune up and cosmetic cleaning done.

I feel like it is a reputable rv dealership who is not trying to mis-lead us. BUT you never know...

Wh

at do you think?
BUMMER: I already emailed and sent pics to the family!!!!!!

We are not owners yet, just a refundable deposit of 500.00.

Let me know what you think.

michelle
Old 03-10-2005, 02:14 PM   #7

I have found It to be very hard to take the emotion out of new car/bike/rv shopping. Once we learned that trick, our dealing has been much easier, plus we don't end up buying something we eventually hate.

As long as one of you is not emotional about it you should get along OK. Most things are fixable if it's truely something that will work for you.

2002 Monaco Knight 32PBD.
dsnook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

A bubble under a window is very likely water damage - window frames are prone to leakage but can be re-caulked easily. Leakage, though, does not necessarily mean the damage is severe and I would not reject it out of hand if everything else is right for you. Look closely for other signs of water damage on the interior wall down near the floor and from underneath if you can see up from a storage bay. Signs of water soaking, e.g. loose wallpaper or badly stained paneling, water marks on floor or subfloor, would be bad. Clean, solid and dry is good.

I checked the NADA book on a 99 Senator 28 and the retail value range is $19,800-$23950. Even if everything is pristine and the bubble repaired, I personally would not want to pay more than $21,500 for this unit. Given that it has obvious signs of at least one problem, $20,000 AFTER the bubble is repaired sounds more appropriate to me. Offer them $20k (including the repair work) and if they balk, ask for your deposit back. That will get their attention. You may not get it for $20,000, but I sure would give it a try.

And do not buy an extended warranty policy from the dealer, nor vehicle insurance either. I would also highly recommend that you shop for your own financing too. You can get your own RV financing through Good Sam's affiliate or various online Rv lending brokerages. Don't be afraid - they work with reputable lendors who handle thousands of RV loans every year.

Extended waranties, financing and RV insurance are BIG money makers for dealers. Get your own quotes because you can do a lot better than their offers. However, chances are good they will agree to meet whatever price quotes you have and so you can get the convenience of having the dealer do all the paperwork and still get a reasonable price.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:43 PM   #9

Hi,
It makes me feel great to know you guys care!!!
We have decided to bag the whole thing, and get our money back, and KEEP LOOKING!!

The coach had 60,000 miles on it as well.
On a 1999!! I think its high?

Now everything else I see pales in comparison.

BUT they are out there. Our price range is higher since we saw this one.
BUT my expectations are high too.

I did love that one. SIGH.

Like you said, take the emotion out of it.
Better head for business that way.

Get this, I am usually the one who aggressively negotiates with sales people.

Our last motorhome blue booked with the bank at 3,500 more than we paid for it, and it STILL has big problems.

Thank you all for your words and help and ovious experience.

Still looking.....
Michelle
Old 03-11-2005, 12:46 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good decision, Michelle, there are many coaches out there, take your time, springs coming but don't spring into a bad experience. --'007'
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:09 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Probably a wise decision. And you can always go back to it if you change your mind after looking around. Chances are it will still be there and you might get a better deal on it besides.

The RVIA says the average travels about 6000 miles/year. That's not a fulltimer, of course, but it's a ball park average of vacationers, snowbirds and full time users. So yes, 60,000 miles since 1999 would be considered above average mileage.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:21 PM   #12

Hi,

THank you for your words.

I told the salesman we were not going to buy it after all, I could tell he was a little mad.

His words were "Thats okay, I am sure we can find someone else to peddle it to...

Nice, huh?

This dealership is supposted to have a great rep too.

We are selling our 23 ft. old piece fleetwood jamboree nice on the outside, worn on the inside.
We are so far going to be about 1000.00 in repairs/upkeep maintainance to not try to sell someone a bad buy/deal.
It's called HONESTY!!!!
Not only that, but we just got thru putting an 1100.00 new fridge in it. (last trip)

We came home to discover water damage in it, I declared it time to find a better one. So we are repairing that too. We are doing the work ourselves, my hubby is very good at things like this.

We are currently still looking for a bigger/better one.
Our traveling needs have changed in the 18 mth. we had the other one.
Too small, too old and undependable.

Wish us more luck!!!

Michelle
Old 03-12-2005, 02:11 AM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shelly2koi:
His words were "Thats okay, I am sure we can find someone else to peddle it to...

Nice, huh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Michelle,

Kinda makes you wonder how nice they'd be after they had your money and you had the RV, doesn't it?

Have you looked at RV Trader Online? They currently have 67,239 various RV's listed for sale and have a search engine that will allow a search down to within 25 miles of a zip code. Might be worth a look.

Tags
class a