Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
narampa's Avatar
 
Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 996
Triple E Winter Package????

My new to me 1998 Triple E has a switch on the kitchen cupboard.The switch looks like a regular light switch,however it has three positions. one is for heater and the other for microwave. I'm not sure what heater this switch refers to. Any Ideas?
Also on a recent trip to the mountains we discovered that the cabinet that the hot water tank is located got very warm. On further examination we found there are heater hoses from the engine running into the hot water tank. These are in addition to the regular plumbing for the hot water.IE cold in hot out when used with propane.That was the source of the heat in the cabinet.
Has anybody any experience they could share about these systems.
I know Triple E is know for the cold weather capabilities however the manual is limited in info.
Looking forward to your experiences on this.
__________________

__________________
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
greatlakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 554
Only guessing here but I would think that switch is probably heat pads for your holding tanks.
__________________

__________________
Rob
2000 Monaco Windsor Cummins 330
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Smitty77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Over the next hill, around the next curve...
Posts: 3,309
Tripple E makes a good coach. Hope you enjoy yours. They are still building coaches today, so perhaps a call to them with will answer your questions.

Have fun, be safe,
Smitty
__________________
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 14,970
Because you have the switch, for swapping power between the 110v side of the , W/H and microwave , I'll assume the coach only has 30amp service.
The set up is to prevent overload by having, the electric W/H and microwave operating at the same time , and was fairly common on 30 amp systems.
The engine heat to W/H is still available, as an option, on W/Hs today though seldom installed, to prevent tank freeze up while driving, so you don't have to try and run the W/H on propane.
EEE's are built in Manitoba , where they know what winter is all about.
My last 5er, 2005, was EEE, I purchased new and their customer service was second to none. I boon docked at -28c and was comfortable.
As mentioned, EEE is still operational, and may be able to provide access to any manuals you don't have . All my contact info went with the 5er, so I can't provide #s, but Winkler Manitoba is still their head quarters.
__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
narampa's Avatar
 
Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Because you have the switch, for swapping power between the 110v side of the , W/H and microwave , I'll assume the coach only has 30amp service.
The set up is to prevent overload by having, the electric W/H and microwave operating at the same time , and was fairly common on 30 amp systems.
The engine heat to W/H is still available, as an option, on W/Hs today though seldom installed, to prevent tank freeze up while driving, so you don't have to try and run the W/H on propane.
EEE's are built in Manitoba , where they know what winter is all about.
My last 5er, 2005, was EEE, I purchased new and their customer service was second to none. I boon docked at -28c and was comfortable.
As mentioned, EEE is still operational, and may be able to provide access to any manuals you don't have . All my contact info went with the 5er, so I can't provide #s, but Winkler Manitoba is still their head quarters.
Yes it is a 30 amp unit. I appreciate your time and I will be looking into contacting the factory. I'm very curious where the extra heaters are.
__________________
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 14,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
Yes it is a 30 amp unit. I appreciate your time and I will be looking into contacting the factory. I'm very curious where the extra heaters are.
If equipped with an aux rear heater ( an option even from EEE ) it would be close to the back of the coach. Location on my Newmar was under the bed, if equipped.
Follow the engine heater hoses from the W/H to see if they go anywhere except the dash.
BTW. EEE may be on summer holiday shut down so contact may be slow , dropped by this time of year 3 years back , and only 5 people in the whole facility.
__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
narampa's Avatar
 
Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
If equipped with an aux rear heater ( an option even from EEE ) it would be close to the back of the coach. Location on my Newmar was under the bed, if equipped.
Follow the engine heater hoses from the W/H to see if they go anywhere except the dash.
BTW. EEE may be on summer holiday shut down so contact may be slow , dropped by this time of year 3 years back , and only 5 people in the whole facility.
Thanks there is a heater under the bed,but the ones that I was talking about is the electric heaters.
I have sent an Email to Triple E.
I guess what I really want to know now is/ The switch on the cupboard is that the only one that controls these electric heaters? How would a person even know that they are working? I guess an amp meter,but you still have the to know the location or at least where power source comes from.
__________________
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
sswilson's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cobble Hill, B.C.
Posts: 1,283
How many rooftop units do you have? If you have two and only have 30 amp service, the switch may prevent you from running the rear unit and microwave at the same time. I had that configuration in an older HMC 30' motorhome.
__________________
Steve and Sheri with Archie (and Hiro, R.I.P.)
2000 Winnebago 35U, Ford F53/6.8l V10
F150 Ford and Vintage Aspencade.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
narampa's Avatar
 
Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
How many rooftop units do you have? If you have two and only have 30 amp service, the switch may prevent you from running the rear unit and microwave at the same time. I had that configuration in an older HMC 30' motorhome.
I only have one roof unit, and it is quite good. There is ducting into the hallway and bedroom. You can select either front or rear or a little of both and the switch makes no differance where it is selected it does not effect the A/c. I made sure the compressor was on when doing this test. I am convinced it is some kind of strip heater. Just don't know where. When I get time I am going to get my meter out and start checking. Everything works in this old unit [30.000 miles] and I don't think I will ever use it in the winter time. Just the old mechanic in me coming out. It's like a steering wheel on my crotch, it's driving me #@@@.
__________________
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
sswilson's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cobble Hill, B.C.
Posts: 1,283
As far as the hoses from the engine to water heater, I have those in my Winnebago. It is great to show up at a site or rest area and have hot water without having to start the propane and wait.
__________________
Steve and Sheri with Archie (and Hiro, R.I.P.)
2000 Winnebago 35U, Ford F53/6.8l V10
F150 Ford and Vintage Aspencade.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
narampa's Avatar
 
Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
As far as the hoses from the engine to water heater, I have those in my Winnebago. It is great to show up at a site or rest area and have hot water without having to start the propane and wait.
You bet I can see the advantage to that. My wife got very alarmed when she discovered the heat in the cab nite. But now it makes sense.
__________________

__________________
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
winter



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.