Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Several years ago I was in a rest area on I-80 in Nebraska and there was a guy with a p/u,fifth wheel and boat and his buddy had a dually p/u and a big camper,pulling a gorgeous Bronco II and a 21' Searay behind that.As they were pulling out, the whole hitch pulled off of the back of the Bronco and the boat trailer dropped down onto the dolly wheel and rolled off to one side.The guy just kept going till he finally noticed it and stopped.Several of us walked over to see if we could help and the guy says that he'd just put some new bolts in the hitch and they'd be back on the road again.He had taken the old hitch off and put a class four on with bolts.The surge brake didn't work as the whole thing came off and so it didn't pull the pin.A state trooper came up just as they were finishing and when he took a look at the set-up,he told them that that hook-up wasn't going back on the freeway.

bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I towed 30'- 5ver with 12' covered trailer behind for moter cycle from Louisiana to the Yellowstone, twice. never a problem. Never had to unhook or back up. (Thankfully). From bumper to bumper 53', this is legal in LA on certain roads. I made sure to stay to these roads in LA. Not sure of the laws for all the other states I traveled through, but I was never stopped. I was not comfortable doing this, so we sold the truck and the 5ver and now have a 40' MH. We have a 14' trailer now for the bikes. We eithor take the trailer with the bike or the Colorado as the towed, but not both together, and don't think I want to do this. I know if I would I would very limited where I could stop for camping, eating, and fuel. I also think I would be too long. As for backing up, can not do it. You are not to back up with the truck hooket to the MH, could damage the tow equipment.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
We only take 2 Harleys in a covered trailer when we travel. At some future point we may have to switch to a car. If I ever decided to take a car and the bikes, I would get a flatbed long enough to hold all three.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #18

Don't do it in Florida. Don't ask how I know that.
rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This reminds me of when we used to pull a travel trailer with a truck and a motorcycle in a trailer hitched up to the back of the travel trailer. One time I pulled into a campground and another camper came over and said to me " you know that's illegal don't you" ? This is after I had already checked with the local police, state patrol and the Wisconsin DOT and they all said it was ok as long as the travel trailer had electric brakes and the motorcycle trailer and motorcycle didn't weigh more than 1500lbs combined and total combined length was under 65'. I explained that to the fellow and his response was that he had a "friend" that said that it was illegal and though he wasn't going to report me, that it was not legal and I was going to get into trouble because his "friend" said so! I used that combination before getting a motorhome for about 13 years and never got stopped. It pulled like a dream, cornered and stopped great and you never got into a situation where you would have to back up. Of course if you did you would have to disconnect the motorcycle trailer before backing up, which is why I say you never got into a situation where you would have to back up!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Several years ago I was in a rest area on I-80 in Nebraska and there was a guy with a p/u,fifth wheel and boat and his buddy had a dually p/u and a big camper,pulling a gorgeous Bronco II and a 21' Searay behind that.As they were pulling out, the whole hitch pulled off of the back of the Bronco and the boat trailer dropped down onto the dolly wheel and rolled off to one side.The guy just kept going till he finally noticed it and stopped.Several of us walked over to see if we could help and the guy says that he'd just put some new bolts in the hitch and they'd be back on the road again.He had taken the old hitch off and put a class four on with bolts.The surge brake didn't work as the whole thing came off and so it didn't pull the pin. A state trooper came up just as they were finishing and when he took a look at the set-up,he told them that that hook-up wasn't going back on the freeway.
LOL! I imagine NOT! A 4 vehicle conga line ... I can just hear the description at the station when the trooper went in!

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to 45acp
A little different?

30 plus years ago when I lived in Colorado a friend would go Elk hunting each year with his wife. They would pull a Jeep behind the MH and a horse trailer behind the Jeep with two horses and a mule. They would go so far with the MH and set up a base camp, then pull the horse trailer to a out post camp. They would pack the Elk out with the mule. Things have probably changed since then but they did make quite a site going down the road and they did this for years.
Bill