Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Tripped Breaker

Need info fast..... I have an 08 Dynasty..... I was plugged up to my normal 50 amp source..... all three air conditioners were running..... I wanted to add a couple of pounds to one of my tires and turned on my air-compressor.... this tripped my 50 amp source..... I turned everything off and turned the 50 amp breaker back on...... with everything in the coach turned off, I turned my air compressor back on...... it came on and worked fine..... I completed airing up my low tire and disconnected the air compressor (the air compressor was plugged into the coach).... I went inside the coach and turned my airconditioners (two of them) back on..... nothing happened..... I checked what I thought was all of the breakers in the coach and they looked to be ok (I tripped several of them and turned them back on just to be sure)..... It has been 2 hours and my 50 amp plug has cooled down considerably and the air conditioners have not come back on.

My question is: Does anyone have any experience with what I have just described? Your input will be greatly appreciated.

2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42ft, 4 slides, 425hp clean air Cummins diesel
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited w/M&G Braking System
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Towing System
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Well sounds like you just have to much of a load. Three A/C units running and then throw an Air Compressor in the mist! That would be my bet...

In a World Full of Copy Cats, Be an Original...
05 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Ext Cab 6.0 V8 (TR)
1999 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS (TT)
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
Triple E Owners Club
Are your 110 volt lights, micro wave and other 110 volt appliance's working?
1997 Triple E Empress, Freightliner Chassis, CAT 3126 w/ 275 horse's.
MD 3600 Tranny, 2011 Ford Escape Hybrid w/Blue Ox tow bar and Roadmaster Base Plate.
Amsoil Synthetic Oil only for my baby.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
Alpine Owners Club
Your 50-amp service has two legs. At least one of your A/C's run from the leg opposite to the one that powers your coach plugs (e.g. the air compressor); perhaps both of them do. Try disconnecting from park power and using your generator.

If everything works on the generator, turn it off and reconnect to park power. It may then work. If not, I'd suspect the coach transfer switch.
Franklin & Dessa
2001 Alpine 34 FDDS
Tow a 2014 CR-V
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Turn breaker off and on at the pedistal, sounds like one leg may have tripped. Both are supposed to throw when that happens, but the bar hooking the breaker together could be loose enough to allow one side to trip. Like another poster suggested, try the generator.
2008 Monaco Camelot 42 DSQ
Irondale, Alabama
38 Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
Too much load explains why the air compressor being turned on tripped the mains. What doesn't make any sense is why many of the individual breakers were tripped.

FWIW, if this occurred when you first set up camp, your battery charger can be a sizable load. Some battery chargers can be configured for maximum current draw. If you routinely turn on all 3 A/C units, you may need to reduce the battery charger's maximum AC current setting. If you do reduce the battery charger's maximum AC current draw then you can expect to the batteries to take a bit longer to charge.

I don't practice turning all 3 of my A/C units at the same time. I let two run for awhile then turn on the 3rd.

One another item to check is the main plug connection to the pedestal. The pedestal may have been overused or have some corrosion that results in less than a perfect connection. If this occurs, the plug will get hot.

Finally, low voltage will increase the current it takes to power everything. Some parks have marginally acceptable voltage, especially in the heat of summer with a full park.
99 Country Coach
Prevost XL 45 Conversion
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
Ford Super Duty Owner
As another advised, unplug the cord and start the generator. If everything works on the generator, that tells you that it is in cord to changeover box. If nothing still works, you know it is the outlet side of the changeover box. If the ac's work on gen. check all conn. from your plug to changeover box. If the AC's Don't work. Open changeover box and check wires for loose or burned. Next go to breaker box. Open it and check for loose or burned wires. (of course make sure all power is off when you do this.)
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
After about 4 hours the air conditioners started working again..... after checking everything I now feel it was in my power management system..... I don't know this for a fact but now everything works..... this is the first time it has happened to me..... I very seldom run all three air conditioners at one time for this very reason (breaker tripping)..... it is hard to find a problem when everything is working.

Well, I learned something.

Thanks all you guys..... I appreciated the posts.

2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42ft, 4 slides, 425hp clean air Cummins diesel
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited w/M&G Braking System
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Towing System
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
Probably was the energy management, odd that it took four hours to restart the a/c's though. Could have locked them out due to the park voltage was too low, because if you were running all three, everybody else was probably fully loaded too. Most have a time delay built in to allow the refrigerant pressures to drop back down, but it is usually only a few minutes.
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try this.. Unplug or trip your main breaker in the coach, (Just turning off the breakers is enough) If you have an inverter turn it off, DISCONNECT your house batteries. (Use disconnect) if you have a chassis disconnect turn it to the "Store" or disconnected position as well.

Wait five minutes

Now turn back on and plug back in.

The idea is to remove all power, not just 120vac but if the units use 12vdc for control you want to remove it too.

next step requires tools and meters.

I will add this: I have found many RVers have a few screws loose.. Like the ones that hold the wires to the circuit breakers.. UNPLUG before tightening.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote