Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2012, 06:32 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Tripped power??

I need everyones help. Yesterday while working on my 1995 Newmar Kountry Air (50 amp) I accidently shorted out from ground to one leg of ac power. where it comes in to pannel box. I still have shore power to transfer switch, power going out of transfer switch, then no power coming in to main panel box. In order to get power I used 2 adaptors I step down fromm 50 amp down to 30 amp down to 15 amp in order to plug in to extention cord. I kepted all breakers off to MH loads. When I switched on breaker marked light it tripped. It appears I tripped something before panel box, any clues what to look for!
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have power coming out of the Transfer Switch, to the Breaker box but nothing after that? What is between them? Do you have an energy management system?

If you do not then GENERALLY the only thing post-transfer switch and pre-breaker box is a soild length of wire. Fairly heavy wire in fact, not likely you damaged it.

Fact: Many RVers have a few screws loose... ONE of the screws in my breaker box took over two full turns before it came tight (Check them while UNPLUGED, starting with the MAIN breakers and the heavy wires on the neutral and ground busses)

Another (5th wheel owner) had no power when he plugged in.. The marinco outlet on the main power cord feell off in my hand when I unplugged it, Not one internal screw had been tightened.

(And perhapd you thought I was speaking of a different kind of screw?)
Old 04-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #3

Look for a built in surge suppressor. some are mounted on the rear or side of the breaker panel. It is a box with 2 or 3 wires on it that go to the mains and one to ground or neutral. Check that you did not burn off the wire where it connects to the breaker or where it is connected to the transfer switch.
camper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
???????????

Thanks I'll check connections tommorow. This one got me baffed
Old 04-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
On my SOB, shore power/generator power goes to the Transfer Switch and then to the Breaker Box.

There is no component between the TS and BB................

Have you tried running the roof AC on shore power? Does the roof AC work?

If the AC unit works, then I would suspect the breaker that you shorted for the outlets. Have you replaced the breaker or tested it with a voltmeter?

The breaker marked "light" must be for a 110v light/outlets, not your 12v lights?

On my rig, three components are installed between the 110v breakers and the outlets.

First in sequence is the transfer switch built into the inverter (not the stand alone transfer switch). Second is two Breakers in the basement that control the outlets. Third is the GFI outlet near the breaker box inside the coach.

Yours may be different, but based on your description, I would try all the breakers one at a time in the breaker box to determine if the one you are using for the test is the only one that does not work.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
power??

I think I'm on the right track. I unplugged the power source/ battery charger fro the 120 recepticle and plug it into an extention cord an WOOF it shorted big time. I found a Co. that can rebuild it, depending on cost whether I buy a new one. Does anyone recommend what to get. The unit that I think is bad is a PC 75 (75wtatt) made by Todd engineering ( no longer in bussiness) still have to trouble shoot original proplem.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #7

Todd is out of business. I would recomend the intelli-power (which is made by progessive dynamics) PD 9180 or PD 9280 as a replacement. They are 80 amps instead of 75 which will not be an issue.
camper33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power