Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #1

Tripping 30 AMP shore circuit breaker

This weekend we plugged into 30amp outlet at park, turned on one ac unit promptly the ESCO SG 30 circuit breaker tripped (little red button) I went out and reset the button, same scenario it tripped again. As time went on we tried only the microwave, tripped again. Why is this happening? At night we could run the AC no problem. The circuit breaker is located on incoming shore power cord. I have purchased two more of these SG 30 circuit breakers will install tomorrow and see if that helps, any other ideas?
arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I would guess that the circuit breaker malfunctioned. I'm not sure why you have these in system. Don't you have breakers in a regular service panel that protects the RV from drawing more than 30 amps? The campground pedestal also has a 30 amp CB. A circuit breaker only trips (when operating correctly) when current demands exceeds their rated value. They don't protect against low voltage, high voltage, surges, etc. I'd much rather invest in an EMS that truly protects the rig against various issues, including open ground, bad neutral, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvee View Post
This weekend we plugged into 30amp outlet at park, turned on one ac unit promptly the ESCO SG 30 circuit breaker tripped (little red button) I went out and reset the button, same scenario it tripped again. As time went on we tried only the microwave, tripped again. Why is this happening? At night we could run the AC no problem. The circuit breaker is located on incoming shore power cord. I have purchased two more of these SG 30 circuit breakers will install tomorrow and see if that helps, any other ideas?
Is this the circuit breaker you are talking about?
RV Bus Van camper Trailer Generator Inverter Breaker Panel Fuse Safe Guard SG30 | eBay

If so how/where is it located "on incoming shore power cord"?

Since you already have one that you are apparently overloading, (and it can be easily reset if/when you do overload it), why do you want to install 2 more?

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #4

Do you have an electric water heater running? Some microwaves can be heavy on the power draw too, so that tripping the breaker isn't too surprising to me.

If you're not drawing too much power, then yea, maybe the breaker is bad. Maybe the park has low voltage; which can cause a high amp draw.

Like BFlinn181 said, a surge guard is one of the best investments to be made. It is one of the first things to get.... So we were told and so we believe.

Hope this helps some
Old 08-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #5

Thanks for the input...

I had the shore power box checked by the park and output was acceptable. I do not know why this CB is located on shore power lead and yes it is the one pictured on the ebay add. There are breakers in the main panel board. Buying two one for spare. Please let me know model/mfgr of surge gaurd, maybe put this inline and do away with the ESCO CB???
Old 08-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
I highly recommend a Progressive EMS. EMS-HW30C
They do all they say and have a super life-time guaranty and helpful support people. The one I have had an issue and they talked me through trouble shooting and then sent me replacement parts - all at no cost to me even though the unit had been installed in my RV by previous owner and was many years old.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #7

We use a Surge Gaurd.

Surge Guard RV Power Protection | Technology Research Corporation
Old 08-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #8

Low cg voltage? That can cause AC unit current to go up. Any idea what the voltage is doing? Voltmeters are pretty cheap these days or get a plug in monitor. We've got a hard-wired, flush-mounted LED voltmeter display (Datel). Good thing to have regardless.

Surge Guards are good as they will cut off the supply on too low a voltage.

I wouldn't blame the ESCO breaker just yet until you know what the voltage is doing. You can buy a pretty inexpensive clap-on ammeter at Harbor Freight to measure the actual current. We bought one recently on sale at HF.

A campground pedestal breaker could possibly be tired and cutting out before the 30 or 50 amp rating.

Some thing will work okay on low voltages, although may have reduced output. AC units can be damaged by low voltage, usually at around 105 volts and lower. If in an area with high outside temps, you can be assured that most other RV-ers in a cg will be running AC units which will drag down the entire cg voltage. Cg voltage can sometimes go up and down like a yoyo depending on outside temp. and time of day (like at mealtimes). So if it's okay at one moment, it may not be good all day long. The best thing is a device that will cut off the power when the voltage gets too low. That way it's automatic and you won't have to worry about it.

If you are affected by too low voltages in your travels, you can always get a Franks or Hughes autotransformer to maintain the voltage.

As a tech. note, the output of resistive devices like a toaster or coffee maker varies as the square of the voltage. At say 105 volts, you'll be getting only 76% of it's rating (based on 120 volts nominal). At 100 volts, you'd be getting 70% of the rating. So at low voltages, you'd still be able to have toast and coffee in the morning and not die.... It just may take longer. At some point though, when the voltage gets waaay too low, the appliance just won't generate enough heat.

Low voltage can be damaging to devices with electronics in them. TVs, microwaves and even fridges, so be careful. The best precaution is to power down everything or get an autotransformer. Or use your generator if you have one.

As a side tip, I'd want to make sure that the power cord connector and plug blades are clean (not pitted or dirty) especially when running the power cord at full tilt so that nothing overheats.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #9

Wow I love this site and Thanks to all.....

I will look into the surge guards and auto transformers recommended, AND get one. Check my shore power cord for pitting etc. Through the tents, bumpers pulls, fifth wheels and now this motor coach, this thing is by far the most fickle one of them all.

Thanks Again...
Old 08-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #10

Just to follow up....I installed a new ESCO SG30 this weekend and tested it out on Sunday at our local country park. All worked well, microwave, AC's also used the energy management for the AC's no tripping of the SG30 circuit breaker. Seems to me that in 2002 date of manufacturer this circuit breaker on the incoming power may have been Fleetwoods attemp at a Surge Gaurd or something like it.

Again Thanks to all for the input
Old 08-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm glad you've got it working again, but I'd save up for a real EMS to give more through protection. That ESCO is only a circuit breaker, like you already have in power panel and in pedestal. By the way, comparing Progressive and Surge Guard, I see the SG is only warranted for one year where Progressive is life time.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WOW! Feel like I just got out of class! Thanks, myredracer! This entire site is great! The things I've learned, in the past few weeks, have been great...and I don't even have my MH yet!

I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are awesome!
beepaj is offline   Reply With Quote