Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #1

Triton V-10 question...Please

Hi All

I have a 2001 38' Mountain High "Resedency" with a tag axle & 2 slide's. The motor has only 13K miles and was well taken care of (got the MH 6 months ago). This is a big boy and I want to tow a 2011 jeep Patriot (3100lbs) on a dolly (2 wheels down).

My question is since this is a big & heavy MH, is it ok to tow an the extra weight? I'm concerned in taxing the engin too much. Going over the big hill coming from Oxnard Ca. I keep it below 3000 RPM (I go only 35 MPH but I figure it's worth it to keep it from getting worn out too fast). You see, my baby has to last me for the next 6 years and I really want to conserve as much as I can. So, do you think the Triton has what it takes to hold up to 6 and 12 % grades while towing the car?
fastzorro222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #2

Check the weight rating for the MH. My V10 does fine with a 20000 lb coach and 4000 lb car. Compare the car AND trailer weight with the GVWR
Schoolsout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
That weight should not pose a problem.
Having said that I will also say the V-10 makes its horsepower at higher RPM. At 3000 or lower the engine is actulaly lugging when glimbing grades. I would suggest that more dammage is being done by lugging than would be by by using the available horsepower which peaks at 4200 RPM.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we had the V10 in a 32ft motorhome, we towed a Ford Explorer at 4500lbs all over the Rockies. Usually was able to maintain about 45 MPH even on the steepest grades. Never a problem and never any overheating. Those things are a lot tougher than most people think. The V10 loves high RPMs, it was designed that way.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club

You're not saving your engine by limiting the rpm at 3000. You strain the engine and could overheat from not paying attention to where your 'power band' is. A gasoline engine works best when rpm is proper for the work being done, higher rpm for power, lower for cruising on the level.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
That weight should not pose a problem.
Having said that I will also say the V-10 makes its horsepower at higher RPM. At 3000 or lower the engine is actulaly lugging when glimbing grades. I would suggest that more dammage is being done by lugging than would be by by using the available horsepower which peaks at 4200 RPM.
Ahhh wow, ok. Now according to the spec sheet my 3000lb car and our stuff & us with a full tank of gas is at the mfg. specified limit. With the tow dolly it adds about an extra 500lbs. Do you think thats still ok? I just want to make sure that I don't do dumb things...
Old 04-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
When we had the V10 in a 32ft motorhome, we towed a Ford Explorer at 4500lbs all over the Rockies. Usually was able to maintain about 45 MPH even on the steepest grades. Never a problem and never any overheating. Those things are a lot tougher than most people think. The V10 loves high RPMs, it was designed that way.
Cool!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally I would opt for towing 4 down but thats just my preference. 500 lbs. I do not believe would be detrimental.
Do you know what the the GVWR rating is?
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I would think the power band would be between 4000 and 4500 rpm. Our v10 screams at higher rpms but keeps pulling up the steepest grades with 4500 lbs in tow.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #10

This link should tell you what you need to know.....we had a Triton V-10 for 6 years and this is good advice.....Ford RV motorhome recreational vehicle chassis
Just be sure you don't get in a spot where you are constantly shifting up-down-up-down. By the way......where the he__ did you encounter a 12% grade? Those puppies ain't built for off-roading! Stay on the highways and the max you should find is 6%....I'm just sayin'.....
Snoopkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Personally I would opt for towing 4 down but thats just my preference. 500 lbs. I do not believe would be detrimental.
Do you know what the the GVWR rating is?
Old 04-22-2012, 01:50 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
One thing you may want to think about is a supplementary transmission cooler. I have a 37 Tropical with Tag and the V-10. The included transmission cooler didn't cut it and I had to replace a transmission with burned fluid. I added a supplementary one that comes with a thermostatically controlled fan. If the transmission oil gets too warm, the fan kicks in for extra cooling. In most cases it never does because the supplementary cooler is enough on it's own. Towing a vehicle in addition to the large size of the coach, it might be worth the $300.00 bucks I spent on the cooler especially if you get into any big hills on a hot summer day.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastzorro222 View Post
Hi All

I have a 2001 38' Mountain High "Resedency" with a tag axle & 2 slide's. The motor has only 13K miles and was well taken care of (got the MH 6 months ago). This is a big boy and I want to tow a 2011 jeep Patriot (3100lbs) on a dolly (2 wheels down).

My question is since this is a big & heavy MH, is it ok to tow an the extra weight? I'm concerned in taxing the engin too much. Going over the big hill coming from Oxnard Ca. I keep it below 3000 RPM (I go only 35 MPH but I figure it's worth it to keep it from getting worn out too fast). You see, my baby has to last me for the next 6 years and I really want to conserve as much as I can. So, do you think the Triton has what it takes to hold up to 6 and 12 % grades while towing the car?

I have the same MH that you do, and yes it is fairly heavy.
And I also have a Patriot toad on a dolly, guess we think alike.
Although the Jeep is brand new and haven't towed it yet, I have towed a
Hyundai Santa Fe several thousand miles between Tucson and Seattle,
and it weighs more than the Jeep.
Have never had problems towing uphill or down,
yes sometimes on long mountain climbs you will be slowing down, a lot.
Mine is the first year V-10, only 275HP, yours is more.
I try to keep the revs around 3800 and sometimes that will be in 2nd gear,
but you will make it to the top with no problems, just take your time.
And when you get to the top, push the button on the end of the shift lever
and take it out of overdrive.
Don't let your speed build up going down the other side and you won't have any problems.

And I agree with the others, only 3000 RPM on hills isn't doing your engine any favors.

Not sure where you found 12% grades, that sounds awfully steep.

If you don't already have a dolly, consider the ACME EZE-TOW, that's what I
have and it is great, and it only weighs 400 lbs, which will help if you are
worried about weight.

I have 54000 on mine and no sign of burned transmissin fluid.

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Well I can't account for how previous owners may have treated my rig or whether or not your local geography is like mine (all mountains). I did have to rebuild the transmission because the bands let go and the repair shop said the fluid showed definite signs of having been overheated. For the money, a supplementary transmission cooler is a good way to help keep things within normal operating temperatures especially when you are crawling up that 8% grade for 6 miles during that hot dry spell in the middle of summer. I feel better for having it than not