Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #15

Drive em both, thousands of gas coaches out there with happy owners,same with diesel pushers. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Jmho, I would consider used and save a bunch of $$$$. In the end it doesn't matter how much you use it, gas or D/P as long as you are happy with it.

bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
I have an older 37' National with the V-10. Just about the first year that Ford went to that motor from the earlier 460. It has about 40000 miles on it. My rig is a bit bigger than most with the V-10. I also have a tag axle which is somewhat rarer for Class A's in this size range.

The ride is fine. I derive a lot of pleasure from that extra set of wheels in the back. The rig is stable and generally has a firm but comfortable ride.
Power is good enough if you are on the level. I live in a mountainous region with a number of long slow climbs in close proximity. I can expect to go up them at about 35 miles per hr. max. It can be slow going but at least I can enjoy the scenery. I am a little concerned about what that might end up being if I was carrying a toad as well.

The engine despite is age is steady as a rock. Granted the miles aren't huge yet but it runs like a top. As engines go, I like it alot.

What I wasn't so keen on was the transmission. This is on the F-53 chassis and I have already laid down about $4000.00 to repair the transmission. Just a case of an insufficient transmission cooler but I can imagine a lot have the same issue. You don't get the Allison strength and durability with the gas engine so that is a big draw back.

If my rig wasn't the age it was, I might consider giving it the Banks treatment. It could benefit from some increased HP.

This is strictly a vacation tripper right now but down the road, I plan to be taking some much longer trips and hauling a toad. At that point, I will be moving up to a DP as I am going to be looking for the extra HP, the increased reliability and the extra basement storage that you get when you don't have a drive shaft going down the centre of your rig.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I would think just about all gassers are truck chassis converted for MH and probably all DP's have custom made chassis made for MH. With that said I had a 2004 HR on a ford chassis and nothing wrong with it. As far as drivability they are definitely not the same. If you want the truth test drive both and make your own mind up.

Actually the F-53 is a MH chassis acording to the Ford website. As for the V-10, I have had two. Ran one to 96,000 miles and my "new to me" is about to cross 40,000. I have had no issues. I feel my F-53 rides much better than my E-450 chassis.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I traded a dp for a gas workhorse chassis and never regretted it. The workhorse rides much smoother than the Freightliner I had. The price difference in diesel and gas also does not make much sense.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by priestlake View Post
considering a gas motorhome with ford v-10 which is most common engine-unit is 34-36 ft How is the drivibility of a gas unit? do I need to consider diesel to get a comfortable ride.
we use to have a DP with a 300 cat engine,no slides,loved it,had plenty of power,the ride was nice,sold it went to a 5th wheel,came back to a 35' Itasca with a v-10,the ride was nice but I hated to drive it,(spoiled by the DP)I installed a few goodies and now it drives like a dream,I have the older 20 valve engine,I have increased the driveability comfort,power delivery,shifting pointsMPG a little,I had the MH up for sale for a couple months,I was going to buy another DP,I am happy that it didn't sale,if you get a v-10 and don't like the way it drives ,it can be improved for about the same price as a tank of diesel fuel
flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drive a Workkhorse with an 8.1 L MPG should be fairly close, Power and torque likewise (peak torque is identical) I get 8-10 MPG depending on how recently I wax (level ground) Less in the mountains.

Though I'm not a Ford fan for many reasons... I suspect you'll be happy with the Triton V-10
Old 11-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I started out in a 10 yo f53. It was my first moho, and I still love it.

But it road likke the ups truck it is, and that v10 screaming between my legs was just part of the action, as was the 2 handed death grip I always had on the steering wheel.

If u have a gasser and like it, that's great, enjoy.

But our new to us 40ft 4 slide dp is just plain heaven
Old 11-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I started out in a 10 yo f53. It was my first moho, and I still love it.

But it road likke the ups truck it is, and that v10 screaming between my legs was just part of the action, as was the 2 handed death grip I always had on the steering wheel.

If u have a gasser and like it, that's great, enjoy.

But our new to us 40ft 4 slide dp is just plain heaven

My F53 rides closer to the way my wife's Lincoln rides. Much better than an E 450 IMHO.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #23

Cruise Control and V10 Triton Issues

I just bought my second motorhome in Hammond, LA Saturday, Nov. 12, 2012. It's a new Fleetwood Tioga with the Ford V10. I had never seen this blog but I certainly wish I had. We were driving the Tioga back to Arkansas from the dealership. I had cruise control on in Louisiana for 180 miles and when we crossed over into MS, we were climbing a small grade when the thing started downshifting and the engine rpms went to 4000+. I didn't know was going on. We topped the crest and it settled back down of course. Next small hill it repeated the whole process but I could hear a loud engine knock and I knew we were in serious trouble. We pulled over, NO ck engine light, oil level perfect, oil pressure normal, fluids all perfect. But the ominous knocking was loud. I called the dealership in a fit a fear and anger.
Needless to say, the motorhome is in Mississippi locked behind a fence in a tow yard and will be towed to a Ford dealership tomorrow. I am back in Arkansas and am just sick. I am hoping Ford is going to do the right thing. If they don't, maybe its time for a class action. This is ridiculous. I came here and began reading the lamentations of others about this cruise control situation. Love to hear from any of you with similar issues. Thx ?? Bill n Roz
Old 11-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Well that kind of sucks. If it is new, should be under warranty no?
Maybe something as simple as bad fuel. At least we can hope. Keep us informed.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillnRoz View Post
I just bought my second motorhome in Hammond, LA Saturday, Nov. 12, 2012. It's a new Fleetwood Tioga with the Ford V10. I had never seen this blog but I certainly wish I had. We were driving the Tioga back to Arkansas from the dealership. I had cruise control on in Louisiana for 180 miles and when we crossed over into MS, we were climbing a small grade when the thing started downshifting and the engine rpms went to 4000+. I didn't know was going on. We topped the crest and it settled back down of course. Next small hill it repeated the whole process but I could hear a loud engine knock and I knew we were in serious trouble. We pulled over, NO ck engine light, oil level perfect, oil pressure normal, fluids all perfect. But the ominous knocking was loud. I called the dealership in a fit a fear and anger.
Needless to say, the motorhome is in Mississippi locked behind a fence in a tow yard and will be towed to a Ford dealership tomorrow. I am back in Arkansas and am just sick. I am hoping Ford is going to do the right thing. If they don't, maybe its time for a class action. This is ridiculous. I came here and began reading the lamentations of others about this cruise control situation. Love to hear from any of you with similar issues. Thx ?? Bill n Roz
4000+ RPM is normal, knocking is not. Hope it is a new rig, then at least warranty can cover the repair costs. As stated earlier I am on my second V10 and have never had a worry. I do hope this is your first and last problem.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
First Moho trip was in an Itasca 32 ft (Rental) on a 450 chassis with V10...CO to Vegas through NM and AZ, back to CO via UT.

It was an amazing trip that sold me on RVing, and sold me on DP's..

PROs:
  • Ride,
  • Quiet,
  • Cool,
  • Powerful,
  • Jake Brake,
  • 800 miles between fuel-ups,
  • No spark plugs, wires, distributor,

Cons:
  • 5 gallons of oil instead of 5 quarts
  • Many filters (3hydraulic, 2 fuel, HUGE oil and HUGE AIR)
  • 40ft is alot to wash and wax
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Priestlake, aren't you glad you asked? With all the feeback from the previous 13 posts, I can't add any more than they did. However, i can tell you that out of the three gassers we had, a 94 454 TBI, a 97 454 Vortec, an 01 F53 V-10, the Ford was the best. I bought it with 12K mi on it and drove it another 70K in 8 years. I pulled a Dodge Dakota all over the country. That engine never once hiccuped the entire time. The V-10 is made to rap out and it will run at 2600 RPM at 60 mph. Really freaky when you are in 2nd gear pulling a grade and the engine is at 4K rpm, but it is made to do just that. I never let it get over 4K rpm just for my peace of mind. The tranny was flawless also, I "flushed" it every 20K. The only problem with gas coaches, is the more miles you put on them the quicker they depreciate. I'm of the belief that if you have a gas coach and it gets 50K on it, get rid of it cuz that is about the best $$ value you will get, seems to decline rapidly from there. I just hated to have to tell a salesman I had 82K miles, cuz you could just see them go into all kinds of contortions with their body language, and it isn't in your favor. Our last one was an 01 Adventurer 35U(the high mileage one) and no one would give me more than $20K on trade in. Food for thought, good luck to you.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
NavyChaps, Sorry to hear of your problems with the new motor home. It almost sounds as though the Ford V-10, for whatever reason, experienced a catastrophic failure of internal parts. It could have been sitting around and the oil became compromised before you purchased it, or it could have been an assembly defect that reared its ugly head as you headed home to AR. These motors are extremely reliable and, if serviced regularly, give great performance and have a remarkable longevity. Of course, there are always exceptions, and maybe yours falls into that category. I know that Ford will honor the warranty (what is to prevent them from doing so since it is a new coach?). Good luck with the resolution of your dilemma and keep us posted.

Bronk

Tags
gas, motorhome, v10