Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
When I first bought my unit, I did some research on the spark plug issue as that got my attention in a real hurry.
What I read was that the spark plugs use a minimal amount of threads in the head. If the spark plug is removed and the replaced and there is any error in that process (i.e. not torqued correctly or cross threaded) it can punt the spark plug out stripping the threads in the aluminum? head. It isn't really a design flaw but it doesn't leave much room for error either (a costly proposition). However with gosh knows how many Triton V-10's out there, the distinct impression that I was left with was that although there are a few horror tales, the Triton is a very good engine overall with many years of use in different variations to back it up.
I agree, this issue scared the begeges out of me when I got my first V-10. I then found out that they updated the heads around 2002/03 and I relaxed. I've never had to change the plugs cause they are not recommended till 100,000miles. (I think the body will fall off prior to that on most MHs). I traded my first V-10 at 96,000miles (Class C) (Body was delaming badly) and my present has 39,000 miles. I would jump on the road with it today to go anywhere in North America without hesitation. I cannot let the "possibility" of a problem in ANY vehicle keep me from going about this great nation. I choose to deal with it as it comes. And as has always been said to me, "why bring tomorrow's rain into today's sunshine?"

2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #44

Just in from Ford Motor Company. I am the owner of the Brand New Fleetwood 2012 Fleetwood Tioga, 31M I recently wrote here about purchasing my motorhome NEW, in Hammond, LA. Owned it for 4 hours and drove it 180 miles when the engine failed. Still do not know if it was a rocker arm, a rod, a spring, or what. Just know that FORD Motors called me this morning. They are replacing the NEW Triton V10 with another NEW engine, giving me 6yrs/100,000 mile warranty on it and shipping the motor home back from Natchez, Miss to Springdale, Ark. and YES I am a very happy camper. I think both Ford and Fleetwood have done a GREAT job of making the best out of this bad situation. However, management at Dixie RV in Hammond, LA has never bothered to return my calls or give me the time of day. I will offer this advice to any potential buyers: Look at the Lemon Law in the state where you plan to buy your motorhome. All states have them I think. Look online at the state statutes. Be aware that in most places, when you buy a new motor home, if you have more than 4 or 5 repairs or it is out of commission for a protracted period (30 days in some states and 90 days in others) you may qualify for a full refund less usage depreciation, or a full replacement. The resources are abundant online. My attitude with FORD, was: "Take your time fixing it. The clock is running and at 30 days, I get a whole new motor home." They were ALL over the problem and are even moving the motor home to a dealership that can get the work done in a more timely manner. Fleetwood was very proactive with FORD as well. This is so far, the best of the bad situation.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
You know, stuff happens. I understand your frustration but any vehicle could have experienced similar issues. I, personally would wait and see what Ford does. I think they will make it right and you will get many years of great use out of the rig. Of course, you will have to learn to "trust" the rig once it is returned. Having never experienced the issues you are having, I do not pretend to fully understand your frustartion, but I do not see how you win by opting for a "nuclear" option without first allowing the warranty to try and work it out. Not sure what the lemon laws are for the states involved but there is a process that must be worked through. Remember, V-10s are high reving engines that most have found to be trouble free, I do hate that you are the "one guy" who got a faulty one. Please keep us up to date on how Ford responds.
yes !! I agree. I want to believe in FORD and Fleetwood. This motor home is SWEET!! I loved it from the moment I stepped into it. I hope you saw my recent post. FORD called this morning and is replacing the engine, giving us an extended warranty, (6years/100,000miles)and they are shipping our baby back to us from Miss. to Arkansas. THAT IS FORD !! I am not going to comment on Fleetwood or Dixie RV other than to say we are very thankful that FORD stepped up to the plate and took action. I hope that brings piece of mind to a few folks out there about buying a FORD gas Triton V10.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #46

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Now THAT! is some customer service!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillnRoz View Post
yes !! I agree. I want to believe in FORD and Fleetwood. This motor home is SWEET!! I loved it from the moment I stepped into it. I hope you saw my recent post. FORD called this morning and is replacing the engine, giving us an extended warranty, (6years/100,000miles)and they are shipping our baby back to us from Miss. to Arkansas. THAT IS FORD !! I am not going to comment on Fleetwood or Dixie RV other than to say we are very thankful that FORD stepped up to the plate and took action. I hope that brings piece of mind to a few folks out there about buying a FORD gas Triton V10.

I am VERY happy for you, keep us informed on how this progresses as "inquiring minds want to know." Hope to see you out there in RV world soon!
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #48

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting to hear of your experiences; am considering a V10 and Dixie RV. It's that you have a problem; it's how you deal with it that matters.

It sounds like you are satisfied despite your awful experience.

Tags
gas, motorhome, v10