Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #1

triton v10 gas motorhome

considering a gas motorhome with ford v-10 which is most common engine-unit is 34-36 ft How is the drivibility of a gas unit? do I need to consider diesel to get a comfortable ride.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We drove a 2007 Fourwinds Hurricane which had the ford chassis and V-10 for abou 32,000 miles. The ride on good roads was great, while the ride on rough roads shook up everything. We just tried to avoid rough roads or slowed way down. We drove to Alaska from Texas and the next year we went to central Canada and west to Prince Edward Island. We had a great trip and only a few times that were not comfortable. Since then we have pruchased a DP and love the ride and the MH, but then the cost for the MH was a lot more. So, with all that said, yes the ride in the DP is going to be better but that should not be your only deciding factor as IMHO the cost vs the ride is not worth the difference in price. However, will all the other "upgrades" I like the DP a LOT better than the gasser
texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Ford V-10 Damon Challenger and really like it. I think that the decision on whether to get a diesel pusher vs. a gas engined should be based on what you will be using it for, as well as how much one is willing to spend on initial outlay, subsequent fuel and maintenance costs. Of course, you will get differing opinions from others who prefer one over the other, but in the long run, the final decision should be based on what works best for you. I have driven/ridden in both the diesel and the gas powered moto homes in varying lengths and configurations (multiple slideouts,etc.). Yes, the ride is better in a diesel, and the ability to tow increased weights is greater than the gas, but one has to weigh the cost of filling up with diesel (approx. 20 cents a gallon more here in this area) than gasoline. The longevity of the newer gas engines, although not nearly as long as diesels, have a pretty good "track record". You would probably not live long enough to wear out a diesel, so a Ford or other gas engine would probably last long enough for most RV'ers travels. I hope I have helped answer some of your questions. If you have other questions, please shoot me an e-mail and I would be happy to answer. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Bronk
Old 11-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #4

Curious, how the type of engine can affect "ride". Isn't determining factor shocks, springs, etc. do all DP's have airbag susp. and larger diameter wheels? is that the difference? Do no gas rigs have these features? If not, Why? Our gas 31' rides fine but makes a lot of rattles back in the house, thought that was just common
Old 11-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #5

After looking at new units, we considered a DP to be out of our price range. We found a 3 year old DP in great shape and low miles for about what a new gasser would cost, so we jumped on it. I usually pass on extended warranties, but bought a 4 year plan for $2K for peace of mind. It does not cover engine and trans, but Cummins and Allison are so reliable that I didn't feel I needed to pay extra to cover them.

After 10K miles of driving this year I'm really glad we went DP.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
We're on our second motor home powered by the Triton V-10. Having never had a DP I have no ability to compare the two. I also prefer a Toy Hauled and the Damon Outlaw was the only real choice for me. I feel that the power and fuel economy of both V-10's has been pretty good for the way we travel.

I think that if you are only concerned with the ride then from all I've read, a DP is the way to go. They're heavier, the motor weight and noise is all the way to the rear, and I think most are air ride suspension. If cost is a factor then you would need to compare an older DP to a later model V-10 to make it affordable.

A lot of your decision might rely more on how much you'll be using as the yearly maintenance on a Diesel can be expensive from what I've read and something you may not consider doing yourself whereas on a gas engine it's pretty simple.

I'm a weekend warrior but when I retire I'll probably make the move over to a DP.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #7

Well it can be a tough descision! Having had a 07' Winnebago Adventurer 35A and now an Itasca 36G DP I would say that you can have a lot of enjoyable RVing with either one. We travelled all over the Canada and the USA including Alaska and a trip to the Artic Circle in our Ford V10 while towing a Honda Civic. We had no problems and had a great time. With the Itasca DP we have been across Canada and back across the USA and also had a great time. My comments would be:

- the diesel is quieter and the ride is better.
- the Allison 3000 6 speed is a real plus as the Ford V10 5 speed upshifts real fast and not very smoothly when climbing. Can wake you up when it goes from 2000 to near 5000 rpm very quickly (especially when in cruise control)!!
- mileage slightly better with the diesel but on a cost basis no significant difference.
- maintenance higher on diesel and I think more complicated overall.

The DW liked the layout on the Adventurer better but the testrone factor won out I guess. We still lot forward to having fun whether it is gas or diesel.

Woul I consider a gas unit in the future? Yes.

-
Gary D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #8

I would think just about all gassers are truck chassis converted for MH and probably all DP's have custom made chassis made for MH. With that said I had a 2004 HR on a ford chassis and nothing wrong with it. As far as drivability they are definitely not the same. If you want the truth test drive both and make your own mind up.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by priestlake View Post
considering a gas motorhome with ford v-10 which is most common engine-unit is 34-36 ft How is the drivibility of a gas unit? do I need to consider diesel to get a comfortable ride.
Check out this thread: I am impressed with the V-10 performance.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Ford V10 in a 2011 Coachman Mirada and we have been very happy with the performance. I have also been very satisfied with the ride and with the inside comfort and noise level going down the road. As someone else said the ride on a smooth road is very good and as quiet as you would hope for. On rougher roads there is some rattle that comes from the stove. Going down the road our coach tracks very well and I don't feel the usual suck of wind when an 18 wheeler passes. I used to feel it when towing our travel trailer. I did have an alignment done on the MH as part of the purchase agreement. I never trust the factory alignment.

Never having driven a DP I can't compare the ride so I may not know what I'm missing. With the cost difference for the purchase, maintenance and fuel it would have to be spectacular in improvement for me to spend the money for something used about 60 day's a year. Now if I was to go full time or at least 6 months of the year on the road then I would probably go with a DP. Since January we have put 3,000 mile on our coach.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IMO it dependes on how many miles you are traveling each year. IMO having been a member on this site since 2010 when we bought our 4th gas coach more miles go DP fewer miles gas coach. I started looking on ebay for a used DP and there are some great buys. Look for the repo with no reserves. DPs sound like lot of maintenance but heaver so better ride and air bags. Check on CAT or Cummings, lots of different remarks on that also. When you find something post it here and you should get lots of feed back.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While a DP would probably be the best for overall ride comfort...
DW wanted new.
We will not retire for at least 10 more years.
We're limited to short trips every 6 weeks and couple of longer ones twice a year.
Did I mention DW wanted new?

For us the only sane choice was gas. I immediately changed shocks and added a rear trac bar for a huge improvement in the ride. I'm very happy with it now. Since we knew we would not be driving the wheels off this thing I wanted to save some money. We're saving a little on the fuel price, a little on the maintenance costs, and a whole lot on the initial purchase price.

Everyones needs and wants are different and you get to decide what suits you.
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #13

Our rig is a 32' on an F53 chassis with the V-10. It rides like you'd expect an 11-ton box truck to ride. It was within our budget, in good shape, low total miles and only about 50 hours on the generator.

We don't plan to spend money improving the ride - I'd rather spend it filling the fuel tank and paying CG fees! For an annual utilisation of maybe 5000 miles a year, we'll live with what we've got.

We don't do a lot of rough roads, though we aren't on the Interstates all the time. Frankly, the roughest road we've encountered so far has been the right-most two lanes of I-5 going through Seattle. Out in Eastern WA and on 101 through Southern Oregon that ride has been plenty good enough. About all that really fazes it are heavily "crowned" two-lane roads. Then it threatens to lie down on the door handles.
2002 Georgetown 325, Ford F53 with V10
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have had my 32' foot gas bounder now for 5 years. It has worked well for me, fairly easy to drive and cheap maintenance. I put about 3000-4000 miles a year on it. Change the oil myself once a year. Tow a jeep and 23 foot boat. I think it is a great engine for a weekender. On the other hand, I plan to Fulltime in 3 years and plan on getting a DP for the better ride and larger weight carrying capacity.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, motorhome, v10