Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
Trouble starting

I was working on a cigarette lighter in my RV yesterday trying to make it work, checked the voltage and it sparked. Couldn't get it working so I gave up. Today I went to start the RV and it won't start. It will turn over but won't start. I checked all the fuses, they look OK. Any ideas?

rallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. I would start by checking the battery voltage and working from there. Charge up the batteries if they are low on charge. CHeck the fuse panels for blown fuses. Best of luck in finding the problem. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.

Have a wonderful day!
Ken (RVM 87)
FT DP Wanna B The journey is the destination!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
Does it crank over at a normal rate but fail to start, or is it cranking slowly? Could you have somehow taken out the fuel pump power as no fuel pump means no starting with an injected engine?
Good Travelin! Kirk
Full-time 11 years, now part-time.
Kirk & Pam's Great Adventure!
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Ford Super Duty Owner
The cigarette lighter circuit is provided by Ford. The fuse panel is under the hood. It is a 6 X 6 inch black plastic box.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Trouble starting

Welcome to irv2.

I had two cig lighters on my Bounder. One was supplied by FW and that fuse was in the bedroom fuse box. The other as stated above was supplied by Ford and was under the hood.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
I very seriously doubt the cigarette lighter circuit and ignition are tied together on a fuse or breaker. But if they are, you have a multimeter if you were testing voltage. When you sparked the lighter was it the red lead shorting between the hot center tap of the lighter socket and the ground surround? I would retest the lighter to see if you have voltage on it (being careful not to short it again if that's what caused the spark). If you've got 12 volts, then obviously no fuse or breaker is popped. If you don't have voltage then I'd first check for an inline fuse on the feed to the lighter. If there is an inline fuse and it is blown, then that's your lighter issue, but not your ignition problem since the only way to start the engine in this type of arrangement would be to have the cigarette lighter fully engaged in the socket 100% of time (impossible). If there is no inline fuse, then most likely there is a fuse panel fuse blown somewhere. There can be multiple locations in an RV. The only other explanation I can think of is you have a wiring harness short somewhere. If you were yanking on wires behind the dash when the spark occurred this might indicate why you can't start it. Otherwise, I'm guessing the two problems are not related.

navigator336 is offline   Reply With Quote