Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #1

Truck Island

Was filling up with diesel at a Flying J truck island. Truck driver next to me ask "are all RV drivers stupid"? When you fill up in the truck island you are paying a "road useage tax" on top of the fuel price. If you would use the RV island you pay the pump price. The problem I see at the RV island is the smaller nozzle which takes longer to fill and not all Flying J have a RV island. Will spend the time with the smaller nozzle if I'm paying more at the truck island. Anyone know if this is true or is he just tired of seeing RV's in the truck island.
I have the Good Sams Flying J RV card! Have never been ask for a DOT number.

dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #2

When you go inside and tell them your filling an RV they take off the extra road tax.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #3

Was .08 cents a gallon off the posted price this morning in Phoenix.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
He's clueless. With the Flying J card, I get the same or better price at the Truck lanes as at the RV lanes. I think only some states have the road tax issue. Indiana is one of them, which is why I never buy fuel there.

There's no way I'm taking a 45' pusher with toad through the RV lanes are most truck stops.

joe
Old 07-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you wanted to start a fight I guess you could have told him that on the average, an RVer was no stupidier than the average trucker that does not know what he is talking about.

Ken
Old 07-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Arizona is another state that charges additional road taxes on big rigs.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Oregon is a state where there are 2 posted prices, the lower one for vehicles with Oregon tax accounts and a higher one for everyone else. I paid about $3.55/gal today at a Pilot; I'm not complaining. I also only use the truck lanes; wouldn't even think of trying the RV lanes; even if it were a few pennies cheaper, the hassle wouldn't be worth it.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
well chalk up two more reasons for me to never go to the nut coast

i had a trucker once in texas ask me why i used the lanes for big rigs......i plainly looked at him and said " I is a big rig"
plus the long handled window washing squeegees are nice
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was quite surprised this past week at a Petro in Indiana. I was told when I went in to pre*pay that if I fueled at the truck island (which I was sitting in) and did not have a D.O.T. # that I would be charged sales tax of 7% plus an additional $.06 per gallon! I moved over to the outside of the "regular" pumps and avoided these charges. This is the first time I have ever heard of this?
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
well chalk up two more reasons for me to never go to the nut coast

i had a trucker once in texas ask me why i used the lanes for big rigs......i plainly looked at him and said " I is a big rig"
plus the long handled window washing squeegees are nice
Powerboatr, I had to look up what DAV was. You taught me something today, THANKS, and Thank You for your service to this country!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #11

Boy oh boy, I remember the first time I used the truck pumps at a Love's station. I was a newbie and this was the first time ever filling the coach. Now on my Fleetwood Discovery the Diesel Filler was on the right side of the coach. There was one lane open so I pulled in and stopped. I proceeded to the right side pumps and started the filling process. These pumps only had one face or front and it pointed away from my coach. Boy did I ever hear from the truckers.Then when I went inside I heard another earful from the desk clerk. Everyone must have had bad days because I was called stupid, ignorant and a few I blush when I think about it! That was the first and last time I ever stepped foot in a Love's station! Even after 75,000 miles of traveling, I never filled up there again!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #12

I've filled up several times in the truck area of the truck stops but most often will use the RV pumps if available. When I use the truck lanes I can't put the fuel nozzle in the lock to fill position. My RV won't take fuel that fast so I have to stand there and hold the nozzle with the trigger in the almost off position which is not a major problem but I'd rather set it and be able to wash the windshield while the tank fills.

I've never had a trucker be rude in the truck area or rest areas and often some are curious about the RV. I cannot say the same about some of the RV'rs in the RV fuel area - and some will leave the vehicle in the fuel dock for long periods of time while doing something - shopping maybe?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #13

Quote:
I was quite surprised this past week at a Petro in Indiana. I was told when I went in to pre*pay that if I fueled at the truck island (which I was sitting in) and did not have a D.O.T. # that I would be charged sales tax of 7% plus an additional $.06 per gallon! I moved over to the outside of the "regular" pumps and avoided these charges. This is the first time I have ever heard of this?
Those extra costs were probably added to the pump price in the regular pumps. Commercial vehicles with a DOT # pay their surcharges separately in IN. Many truck stops in IN are pretty sneaky about using fine print to post the non DOT prices - all you see are the DOT and think it is a pretty good deal. We spend a couple months per year there visiting family so are used to it, but a lot of people get surprised.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #14

I'm confused now. I've fueled up at Pilots, Loves and flying J's in the truck lanes and never put in a DOT #. I just use my customer card. Someone said you are charged extra taxes if you don't have a DOT #. Never paid much attention so does anyone know if this is true?