Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Truck Steer Tires on diesel Pusher

I'm curious to know if anyone has used truck steer tires instead of RV Tires on their rig. I have a friend who did this after having a blowout and not being able to find the same RV Tires to match. Is there a big difference between these tires. Truck tires were also cheaper than the RV tires. Thanks for any feedback.
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2017, 10:26 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I haven't paid much attention to whether the tires were RV or truck tires. Lots of RV's use truck steer tires at all positions. Replaced all 8 tires last year, put the same brand and model back as it came from the factory. They worked for 47,000 miles so why mess with success, but it was expensive at close to $900 per tire, but I also had new internal TPMS sensors installed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #3

My coach is on it's second set of Michelin XZA3 truck steer tires since the originals were replaced in about 2006. They tend to ride a tad stiffer and have a higher profile than an RV tire.
When I first bought the coach used, every time I made a sharp turn, it would knock the level jack pad off from the jack on the inside of the turn. After some head scratching, I finally concluded the tire was touching the jack pad causing the pad to release from the jack. Removed both from pads and trimmed the corners off a bit and problem solved.

However, they are slightly less expensive and, are readily available at almost all truck tire shops. Works for me.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
My coach is on it's second set of Michelin XZA3 truck steer tires since the originals were replaced in about 2006. They tend to ride a tad stiffer and have a higher profile than an RV tire.
When I first bought the coach used, every time I made a sharp turn, it would knock the level jack pad off from the jack on the inside of the turn. After some head scratching, I finally concluded the tire was touching the jack pad causing the pad to release from the jack. Removed both from pads and trimmed the corners off a bit and problem solved.

However, they are slightly less expensive and, are readily available at almost all truck tire shops. Works for me.

Can you estimate how much per tire you saved by going with the truck tires? Also is it your expectation that the steer tires may last longer than the RV tires?
Old 08-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longweekends View Post
Can you estimate how much per tire you saved by going with the truck tires? Also is it your expectation that the steer tires may last longer than the RV tires?
Finding a tire with the same profile and capacity will be the big issue, depends on your original tire sizing , I'm shopping tires right now and , matching the height and load rating for my coach is a huge problem . The common truck sizes R-10 and R-11 are either to small ( R-10 won't handle the weight ) or too tall ( 4" in the case of the R-11 ) and that extra height would kill performance on hills, and have clearance issues with the body .
Any 22.5" tires on an RV will age out before they wear out ; unless you have HUGE alignment issues , or put on 60/70,000 miles per year.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #6

I have a lot of experience as a driver (got my license in 1955). And, I own a large diesel pusher motorhome. The reason I have never bought a "steer tire" is because I don't believe it can do any steering unless the DRIVER turns the steering wheel. IMO there's no substitute for a driver who quicky turns the steering wheel in the correct direction and the correct amount, in event of a front blowout. With one of the front steering tires "blown out", the design of my Michelen front tire that remains healthy is good enough for what I need to do, providing I do the correct thing with my brain, my hands and my feet.
However, I did do the Google research on truck "steer tires",.....and saw no reason to change my mind.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Steer tires

I have Firestone truck tires on my 38' DP and have been happy with them. I saved $200 per tire over the Michelins they replaced.
rfsod48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:03 PM   #8

on the way back I recently replaced my steer tires, original Goodyears, after over 70,000 miles to new Falken 22.5" RI150 ECORUNs... smooth ride so far, after another several thousand miles...

I used Les Schwab in Missoula MT, with their specialty TRUCK shop next to their typical tire store. They had a great selection, and had me taken care of in less than 30 minutes. Just showed up with no reservation, picked my tires, with their experience and advice, and was on my way at $650, with dynaBeads for balancing.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:39 PM   #9

I run Yokohama RY103 truck tires on my MH.
JumboJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:56 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJet View Post
I run Yokohama RY103 truck tires on my MH.

Thanks for your response. Why do you run truck vs. RV Tire?
Old 08-23-2017, 04:10 PM   #11

Is there really a difference between a truck tire and a RV tire? Besides the potential size and load rating, they are not really any different. Made in the same factories. Many RVs use a size tire that is known as a city bus tire. Many big truck trailers use the smaller RV size tires. I don't think the bus or trailer guys concern about having tires that are also RV tires.

So what's the difference? To me there is none, you buy the tire that is the right size and load capacity for your needs. Whether you get twisted up about what name to call it seems a non-issue.

There is a difference in truck steer (otherwise known as all-position) vs traction tires. Steer tires run smoother and tend to have longitudinal ribs, whereas traction tires have blocks of tread. I believe there are some differences in construction that make a traction tire not used for the side loading of a steer tire. But I am not a tire expert.

FWIW I run truck tires all around on my truck conversion motorhome. So I am really in a world of questions: do I have truck or motorhome tires? For me they are both!
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:30 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Run 19.5 Samson truck tires all around. Higher load rating. Came with the MH. Cannot compare ride. Lower price than RV tires. So far happy with them and would replace with same in the future. You can price them in your size online. Most commercial truck shops can get them. My spare was $180 mounted and balanced.
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:19 AM   #13

There is actually a difference between RV and truck tires. RV tires are a softer compound for better ride and have more UV protectant or whatever they use to keep them from dry rotting. Truck tires are stiffer and harder compound and have less shelf life since they likely will wear out before age gets them. This was explained to me by an engineer at the local Yokohama truck tire plant who I know. The difference in price is not due to the composition of the tire but the volume produced and competition from other manufacturers. He said that if you are thinking long term, the more expensive RV tires will last longer time wise and will not need replacing as often so long term they will cost about the same.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:43 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've always used truck tires for 2 reasons.
1. Truck tires are less expensive.
2. Truck tires are easier to find in an emergency on the road.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, tires