Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2018, 09:04 PM   #1

Truck Stop Fueling - procedure and etiquitte

So I have spent the majority of the evening reading old posts on fueling at truck stops. We have a new 45'DP with a toad and have pretty much decided I am going to use exclusively truck stops just to minimize my risk of getting into a tricky maneuvering situation. First big trip is in less than two weeks.

Based on what I have read, I am prepared for some stops to be dirty, more expensive, etc. and I am OK with that. My real question is: What is the proper procedure?

1) Get in line and eventually pull up to the pump. I have read that not every place will allow you to pay at the pump. How do you know this? Do you try and put your CC in and it tells you you can't do it? Is there a limit on how much you can charge at the pump that is set by the fuel station itself? If you do not pay at the pump, can you fuel and then go in and pay, or do you have to go in and preauthorize a certain amount on your card?

2) If DEF is available, is it a separate transaction on a separate pump? sometimes you have to finish fueling and then pull up so the hose reaches your DEF tank, correct? Same rules as far as payment?

3) I have read that some truckers are not fond of RV'ers in general and the best way to upset them is to not be "efficient" at the pump. Do you need to fill up and when you are done pull forward immediately or can you spend a little extra time cleaning the windsheld, etc.

4) After fueling, if you pull forward and want to go in to pay, get a drink, use the restroom etc. and you take longer than the truck behind you takes to fuel, are you by definition "blocking them in"?

I know there is not a set of rules that applies to every situation, and like most things common sense prevails, but given the number of threads on this subject there is seemingly an unwritten "code" that I would like to do my best to abide by.

Thanks!
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2018, 09:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
So I have spent the majority of the evening reading old posts on fueling at truck stops. We have a new 45'DP with a toad and have pretty much decided I am going to use exclusively truck stops just to minimize my risk of getting into a tricky maneuvering situation. First big trip is in less than two weeks.

Based on what I have read, I am prepared for some stops to be dirty, more expensive, etc. and I am OK with that. My real question is: What is the proper procedure?

1) Get in line and eventually pull up to the pump. I have read that not every place will allow you to pay at the pump. How do you know this? Do you try and put your CC in and it tells you you can't do it? Is there a limit on how much you can charge at the pump that is set by the fuel station itself? If you do not pay at the pump, can you fuel and then go in and pay, or do you have to go in and preauthorize a certain amount on your card?

It will say it on the pump if you have to pay cash in advance.

Fuel station sets limit.

You can't fuel then pay.

Ask when you go inside to pay.

2) If DEF is available, is it a separate transaction on a separate pump? sometimes you have to finish fueling and then pull up so the hose reaches your DEF tank, correct? Same rules as far as payment?

Depends upon your rig
Yes

3) I have read that some truckers are not fond of RV'ers in general and the best way to upset them is to not be "efficient" at the pump. Do you need to fill up and when you are done pull forward immediately or can you spend a little extra time cleaning the windsheld, etc.

Clean windshield while tanks being filled. Pull out when tanks full.

4) After fueling, if you pull forward and want to go in to pay, get a drink, use the restroom etc. and you take longer than the truck behind you takes to fuel, are you by definition "blocking them in"?

Why not pull out of the way so you don't block anyone?

I know there is not a set of rules that applies to every situation, and like most things common sense prevails, but given the number of threads on this subject there is seemingly an unwritten "code" that I would like to do my best to abide by.

Thanks!

You should also look into getting the apps for the various fuel stations. You might find them helpful.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
On some stations you tell them when you authorize the card if you want fuel and def. Then you just fill with fuel and pull forward and fill with DEF which you don't have to do very often. A full DEF tank will take you several thousand miles.

One little hint I learned early on is buy a package of painter's booties at a major hardware store or paint store. They will help keep the spilled diesel off of your shoes and out of the motor home.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a Pilot/Flying J RV Plus card from Good Sam that will get you up to 6 cent discount. I like the Pilot truck stops because quite often they have the RV islands adjacent to the auto fill pumps but large enough for big rigs. The pump nozzles are smaller and pump slower for hard to fill coaches like mine. My card always works at the RV island but some stations want you to come in and estimate what you might pump so they might put $150 on the card but will only charge what you pump. I try to plan my fuel stops around where a Pilot or Flying J location (not in some states) is and know in advance how to pull in. If the RV islands are full, I pull around and get in line with the trucks. Some busy stops, trucks are in a single line coming off the street waitin to pull into open fuel lanes. Fueling with the trucks is a hurry up and wait process as I have spent 30 minutes in line and then after you fuel, wait for the truck in front of you to get his dinner and fill three coffee jugs before he pulls forward.
When you slide your pilot card at the truck lanes, it will ask for your control number, then ask if you want tractor fuel, then asks if you want DEF which I always skip as mine 2005. Not sure how it’s dispensed but always see jugs in the store. The diesel nozzles are gigantic and barely fit in my spout. I think they can fill a 300 gal truck tank in just a few minutes so be careful when you pull the trigger. I do wash windows while fueling as do the truckers.
Most truckers are pretty nice and I never had a negative experience at a truck stop but plenty of rude drivers on the road. After fueling and pulling forward, I almost always have to go in to get a receipt as their pump printers seldom work. Hope this helps. Jim
Highhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highhood View Post
I have a Pilot/Flying J RV Plus card from Good Sam that will get you up to 6 cent discount. I like the Pilot truck stops because quite often they have the RV islands adjacent to the auto fill pumps but large enough for big rigs. The pump nozzles are smaller and pump slower for hard to fill coaches like mine. My card always works at the RV island but some stations want you to come in and estimate what you might pump so they might put $150 on the card but will only charge what you pump. I try to plan my fuel stops around where a Pilot or Flying J location (not in some states) is and know in advance how to pull in. If the RV islands are full, I pull around and get in line with the trucks. Some busy stops, trucks are in a single line coming off the street waitin to pull into open fuel lanes. Fueling with the trucks is a hurry up and wait process as I have spent 30 minutes in line and then after you fuel, wait for the truck in front of you to get his dinner and fill three coffee jugs before he pulls forward.
When you slide your pilot card at the truck lanes, it will ask for your control number, then ask if you want tractor fuel, then asks if you want DEF which I always skip as mine 2005. Not sure how it’s dispensed but always see jugs in the store. The diesel nozzles are gigantic and barely fit in my spout. I think they can fill a 300 gal truck tank in just a few minutes so be careful when you pull the trigger. I do wash windows while fueling as do the truckers.
Most truckers are pretty nice and I never had a negative experience at a truck stop but plenty of rude drivers on the road. After fueling and pulling forward, I almost always have to go in to get a receipt as their pump printers seldom work. Hope this helps. Jim
Whenever we leave for trips we leave early in the morning and try to fuel up early. We try to find the Flying J to be able to use our card. Our only problem is our DEF is on the passenger side and very few stations have DEF pumps on both sides. We have to pull in the opposite direction. I will fill DEF and then DH pulls out and turns around to fuel up. We could fuel up on passenger side but that would annoy truckers
fegans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:34 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Those big fuel bay's are there for "Any" customer to use.....just not truck's. Most of the time there are no line's as there are a lot of Fuel lane's (Bay's). Take your time and do your job at your own pace......if someone pulls in behind you, sure, just like a auto fuel lane, be courteous and pull forward when done. In my travel's I have never had to pull forward......I usually take a lane in the middle or towards the end of the fuel lane's.......
I use to be a driver, and have never ran into one that was rude or unhappy that I was taking on fuel........most want to stretch out and talk with someone....... as they have been riding all day......
Those big fuel lane's are built and designed for "Big Vehicles" to get fuel and clean their windshield's.........Period. Try using the windshield cleaner at the auto island to do your Coach windshield...........
Old 05-04-2018, 04:35 AM   #7

My situation is a little different.

I do not have DEF.
I have tile floors and a $2 rubber backed mat at the head of the steps.
I pay cash ... I know (close enough) how much fuel I need.
I pull to the pump, go in, pay cash, get receipt.
I fill and wash the windshield ... sometimes I chat with a trucker ... always friendly.
I leave.

For the most part, truck lanes are no dirtier than car lanes with diesel.

I try to use big truck stops because it's easy and the diesel is fresh.
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:52 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Have not used Pilot/FlyJ in 7 years so do not know if you can pay at the pump. Clean windshield while fueling. Pull ahead, reguardless of how busy before going inside. If your DEF is on the wrong side I'd carry my own.
I go three blocks further away for diesel 25 cents less expensive in my 45' rig.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:38 AM   #9

We also have the Pilot card. Flying J is part of pilot, I have not see a Flying J without a RV fuel island. However, we most of the time donot use it, as they always route you through the car parking lot, and I have had a number of close calls with those in that lot who are inconsiderate. We are 65' with our coach and trailer.

As others said, the Pilot card has a control number (pin password). Once you swipe it, you are prompted for it. Never hit a limit at pilot, pump as much as needed.

I just use common sense, fill my tank, clean my glass while pumping, and pull forward out of the pumps soon as I am done. I have done this a lot. Never a complaint. However have talked with many drivers who are interested in our travels.

L.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:52 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Most truck lanes do not accept regular CCs. They want you to use their charge cards.

We use the Pilot/FlyingJ RV card. You swipe it, enter your PIN and then you select what type of Vehicle you are. First time I fueled up, this threw me off. The choice is "Tractor" or "Reefer". I learned to use "Tractor". Reefer is for refrigerated Trailers - I assume they get taxed differently, but I really don't know.

Stay with your rig when fueling. The nozzle is huge and will fill your tank in no time and might even overflow - fast flowing Diesel foams like crazy.

If you need DEF, you can select it at the pump before you even start your Diesel fill. Just pull up a little further after getting Diesel, push the cover up, and fill your tank. Easy.

When you're done, no matter how busy your lane is, pull up and make room for the next truck/RV.

Never, ever had any bad encounter with a truck driver - quite the contrary. Once you say HI, how are you doing, they always reply back and usually ask a couple of questions about the RV life style. Just remember, they make a living driving these trucks and time is money for them.
Carefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:12 AM   #11

We use the truck lane only. You pick a lane wait for your turn and pull up. You do need to pay first, we did get a Pilot account which we get a discount at the pump so we do not need to go in.

Once you are done pumping pull forward to the line so the guy behind you can pump.

As far as going in to get a drink etc. If it's only a drink and not window shopping you should be good.

I have never gotten the vibe that truckers don't like motorhomes. I think the ones who claim that screw around and hold everyone up. I have been caught behind people who had little courtesy and I hated them for a brief time.

So I would say get a Pilot card and dont take forever and you should be fine.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:50 AM   #12

Jeff, I pull up to the pumps, go inside and give them my CC. Some places ask how many gallons you want. I go out and start fueling. At this time I wash my windshield. When I’m done I ll pull forward so the next guy can fuel. If I’m going to spend some time in the store, I’ll pull into a parking space. When I go in to pay, I ll buy DEF. when I get to the CG I ll add the DEF. I used to carry a 5 gal container that I would fill with DEF while I was fueling, which was a little cheaper than buying the jugs. I don’t like pulling forward and trying to Lin e up the DEF fill with a truck behind me.

Mark
Old 05-04-2018, 07:06 AM   #13

We have made 5 fuel stops in the past 3 weeks. All were at truck stops. We use the trucker lanes to fill. I normally fill at my first morning stop. We have stopped at Pilot, Flying J, and Love's. I like Love's with a Denny's restaursnt. �� my credit card has worked at every stop and I have been able to get as much fuel as I wanted. The fuel islands are sometime very dirty. The painter's booty suggestion is a good one. I haven't had to wait for a fuel lane. I wash my windshield while the pump runs. I pull forward after fueling to get a drink and/or a snack. I park in the truckers lot if I am stopping for food.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:28 AM   #14

After an accident in a non truck stop I rarely go anywhere else. I've found I must go inside and pay at the major companies (Pilot, TA, etc) but not at the locally owned places. I estimate the fuel I will buy, multiply by the fuel cost and arrange to buy that much in dollars (most can't do gallons) after asking if the credit card will only be charged for what I actually put in the tank. The major truck stops have a DEF pump which I arrange to get when I buy the fuel except it is on the wrong side for my coach so I carry a 2.7 Gal jug (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and a magnevator spout (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which some companies require to activate the pump (Love's for one).
After fueling and filling my jug, I either leave or pull forward to add to my DEF tank, rather than stay on the pump.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel