Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #1

Truck Tires or motor home tires

I am in the process of replacing all 6 tires on my motorhome. It is a 2005 Alfa SeeYa with 47000 miles on it. I know they need to be replaced even though they look realy good (original tires). While talking to different tire dealers some of them have suggested replacing my current tires with truck tires. Is there any problem doing this? The motorhome currently has GoodYear 275/80/R22.5's on them. Replacent price with new michelans is $4006.74 complete. The tire dealer also suggested I use truck tires instead. He suggested running Bridgestone 295/75R-22.5's. Total price for them was $3232.62. My concern is even though the Bridgestones are $800.00 cheaper, is there a possibility they could do some kind of damage to my motorhome? Also has anybody had any luck good or bad with Bridgestones as i never realy considered them before. Any advice will be greatly appreciated as this is going to be a very big investment money wise.

Thanks in advance:

Gary & Nancy
05 Alfa SeeYa
Gary801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
They will probably ride harder. I paid $512 each for Michelin 275/70 22.5's in late 2010. I know prices have gone up but the price you give seems to be way high. Do you belong to FMCA? If so they have their Advantage plan and it could save you a bunch, might even pay to join just for the discount. It wasn't in effect when we bought ours.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #3

I haven't owned a MH in many years, however I do remember it had truck tires. Purchasing the correct load range for your MH is just as important as buying the correct size tire. Your owners manual will have that information, but you do have the option of buying the next heavier load rating if your present tires are running near/at their maximum load.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Bridgestone is a good quality tire. The only way a truck tire can hurt your MH is if it is too big and rubs. Your dealer can match up a size that will work. They may run a little harder but I don't think it will be that bad. I have truck tires on mine and it rides fine. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I suggest you check Costco prices, (they will probably have to order them in). In March I got 235-80-22.5 Michelin XRV's for $370 ea plus tax. Costco does not mount tires this big, so had it done at a local tire shop for $35 ea.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #6

Bridgestone is an excellent tire. The difference between using a truck tire and an RV tire is that the truck tire will be harder rubber and probably not have as much UV protection that a RV tire has.

But...if you're going to put MORE then 5,000 miles per year on it, get an truck tire. If less, go with a RV tire.

And I put 2 new Bridgestones on my front axle last year and they were only $275 ea. M&B.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
X-2 on Costco. Worth a check before you buy.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary801 View Post
I am in the process of replacing all 6 tires on my motorhome. It is a 2005 Alfa SeeYa with 47000 miles on it. I know they need to be replaced even though they look realy good (original tires). While talking to different tire dealers some of them have suggested replacing my current tires with truck tires. Is there any problem doing this? The motorhome currently has GoodYear 275/80/R22.5's on them. Replacent price with new michelans is $4006.74 complete. The tire dealer also suggested I use truck tires instead. He suggested running Bridgestone 295/75R-22.5's. Total price for them was $3232.62. My concern is even though the Bridgestones are $800.00 cheaper, is there a possibility they could do some kind of damage to my motorhome? Also has anybody had any luck good or bad with Bridgestones as i never realy considered them before. Any advice will be greatly appreciated as this is going to be a very big investment money wise.

Thanks in advance:

Gary & Nancy
05 Alfa SeeYa
How long do tires last? I have 47000 on my coach and the sidewalls look great, the tread shows wear and has those rings in the groove. I have the Michelans.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:35 AM   #9

I think the current school of thought says you should run tires any older than 6 years of age (or less). Check your date codes, but your tires could be older than 2005. It's the dry rot that gets you, even if they look good.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I start to worry about tire aging at 7 years,but would consider going to 8 years if the tire was in terrific condition. Trouble is, you really have to dismount the tire and look inside to be sure it is in sound condition.

To answer your question, truck tires won't hurt anything. The tires designated especially for Rvs generally have extra UV protection to help them last longer in sunny climes, but most any tire has adequate UV inhibitors to last the7 or so years will will own them.

Some "truck" tires will be designed for high mileage, which is rarely a concern for RVs, but the worst effect of that is a slightly harder and perhaps noisier ride. However, my experience has been that quality tires like Bridgestone, Toyo and Continental ride just as smooth any other. I'm running Continentals now, replacement for the Goodyear G670's I had before.

The price benefit you are looking at comes from buying a tire that is commonly used on commercial vehicles (trucks and trailers) and thus produced in higher volume and sold more competitively. Often the "RV tire" is a size that is used almost exclusively by a brand of motorhome and thus low volume production and consequent higher price. If you change to an equivalent load capacity tire in a more popular size, you can save a bunch of money.

Bottom line: make sure the tire load capacity, effective width and revolutions per mile are nearly identical to what you now have and pocket the savings. Width & revs/mile are important for rear tires, so that the duals don't rub and the speedometer remains accurate. Width is a concern on the front axle to make sure the tire doesn't rub the body in a tight turn.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
When I bought my rig, it had Yokohama Truck tires. The ride was very stiff. Every bump jarred the rig. I have since replaced those tires with Michelin XRVs which are designed for MotorHomes. They made a huge improvement in the ride and handling. The tire dealer told me that the Yokohamas were designed for local use - meaning minimum freeway miles - and would not dissipate heat well at freeway speeds.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Michelins were on for ten years which is the suggestion Michelin makes on there website for maximum time for their tire. Mine looked good absolutely no cracks inside or out but ten years is plenty for me.

There are so many variables no absolute can be made except that abuse from the sun, too much weight, driving too fast, improper inflation and road hazards and construction maladies combine to shorten the tire life. The age of a tire is a factor; generally the older the more apt to fail. So how well do you know your tires?

A friend, fellow RV type that has 14 year old trouble free tires said "it is just about how much risk you want to accept". True, but not exactly good counsel.

For me ten years was the limit barring any other information or signs of age from my tires. I put every mile on these tires and cared for them as perscribed. I think I received maximum service life from them as a result.

It is not "wrong" to change your tires much sooner than ten years, nor wrong to run that long.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #13

Michelin had mentioned that rv tires are also designed to run at load all of the time versus loaded or empty.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had six Bridgestone 295/75R-22.5's. mounted in June 2010, they ride as well as the Mich. they replaced. $2482 for 6 at the local Les Schwab. They were a little cheaper at a truck tire dealer but it was a 170 mile round trip.
Happy camper.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires