Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Truck tires vs RV tires

Someone told me that it is ok to replace your RV coach tires with conventional truck tires. What are the pros and cons of this? Can this really be done? The Cost savings would be huge!

Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2015, 04:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
Someone told me that it is ok to replace your RV coach tires with conventional truck tires. What are the pros and cons of this? Can this really be done? The Cost savings would be huge!
Sure can be done and I did it. Took off aged out Michelin RV tires and put on Firestone FS560 truck tires. Stiffer sidewall gives more responsive handling, less damage if curbed or driven into a pothole, easier to find a spare if needed, more affordable.

I actually had a Michelin dealer tell me "I would be sorry if I put any other brand on my motorhome." So I bought Firestones.... he was wrong .......... I am happy with my decision to run a tire that does not say RV on the sidewall.

gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:20 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think even though i have read the "info" from the tire companies that there 2 real differences between truck tires and RV tires

1 it says RV on the side wall
2 The Price

Just as a refrigerator with NO moving parts, (a RV fridge) Somehow they manage to make that more money as well.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #4

Truck tires vs RV tires

Quote:

There are only 2 tires that are marketed as RV specific. The Goodyear G670 and the Michelin XRV. All large size tires are engineered and developed for the commercial market. These two specific tires may have characteristics that RVers like but their basic design is for trucks. The RV market is just too small to justify the engineering costs.

Long story short, RV tires are largely marketing and not design. Look for all position, long haul or regional tires and you will have more choices.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #5

Right on Steve.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:09 PM   #6

I switch to the Fire Stone FS 560 on our last MH and put them on our current MH. I have been very happy with them and would recommend them any time.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Theres lots of choices besides those garbage G70s and XRVs. Sumitomo, Toyo, Bridgestone, Cooper, etc.
You will need to look at the spec chart for each brand to see which load range tires you can use.
I switched to Bridgestone R250Fs and couldnt be happier. They come with roadside service too. https://www.bfentirenet.com/product_...8&partial=true
Old 07-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Size and handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
I switch to the Fire Stone FS 560 on our last MH and put them on our current MH. I have been very happy with them and would recommend them any time.
What size are your tires and are you happy with how they ride?
Old 07-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Performance

Quote:
What size are your tires and are you happy with how they ride?
What are the performance characteristics of truck tires vs. rv tires? How do they handle and wear? From previous posts, I gather truck tires have stronger sidewalls....might this protect against blowout?
Old 07-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Our last MH we used the Bridgestone R250Fs front and rear. Our current MH I have replaced the 5 year old cracked Michelins on the front with them also. I plan to replace the 4 rear next year. Work and ride fine. Best part is they're cheaper.
2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
mhudson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #11

Truck tires vs RV tires

Quote:
What are the performance characteristics of truck tires vs. rv tires? How do they handle and wear? From previous posts, I gather truck tires have stronger sidewalls....might this protect against blowout?

The 2 lines of RV tires, the G670 and the XRV are essentially all position, long haul, truck tires. The tires with more sidewall protection are marketed as "regional or pickup and delivery". The Bridgestone R250F mentioned in the post above are "Regional" tires. I have them on my drive & tag axles & they are great tires.

Your biggest protection against blowout is be "anal" about inflation pressure. Heat kills tires and under inflation drives heat. I believe in TPMS but others don't.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:28 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
Sure can be done and I did it. Took off aged out Michelin RV tires and put on Firestone FS560 truck tires. Stiffer sidewall gives more responsive handling, less damage if curbed or driven into a pothole, easier to find a spare if needed, more affordable.

I actually had a Michelin dealer tell me "I would be sorry if I put any other brand on my motorhome." So I bought Firestones.... he was wrong .......... I am happy with my decision to run a tire that does not say RV on the sidewall.
I did the same thing as you. I put on 1100 22.5 Firestone FS560 on my coach and after 7000 miles I really think I made the right choice. It rides and handles great and I saved a few bucks as well.
The company I drive for uses alot of Firestone tires on their trucks and have great success with them. You do have to make sure you have enough clearance for the truck size.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
I actually had a Michelin dealer tell me "I would be sorry if I put any other brand on my motorhome."
gruelens
That's what most Michelin tire dealers do.... (but some are honest).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-05-2015, 08:20 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Might be a load rating higher or higher ply. The 250s I got were actually lighter than XRVs by 8 lbs each.