Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecpayne View Post
I have been on the road for a few weeks and agree on the interstates and the smallest of the 4 wheelers always jumping in front reducing my safe zone. Hit a improper connection between the freeway and a bridge on I 40 in eastern Arkansas which made both of my concave mirrors give way and were holding by a thread when I got stopped and taped them back on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Bet you have a tiny view of what's behind you.
Yes, and it's really vexing...

rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 09:57 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Truckers have earned my respect

Really?

I've found many of the truck drivers to be even more inept and unprofessional than the "four wheelers". Certainly folks driving cars are dangerous, but an 80,000 lb truck is more so.

I almost got killed by a distracted trucker two years ago driving to work in my "four wheeler" that didn't notice the freeway traffic had stopped.

Had I not taken evasive action I wouldn't be typing this right now.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:00 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Me too. Last year was our firt trip into New England states. I talked to a trucker on the CB who was enroute to Maine, asked if it was alright if I followed him, he said yes, so I followed him without incident all the way to Bangor. Didn't need my GPS, in fact it was wrong several times.

Wow, you either need a new gps or use google maps on your phone. I find it flawless and use it daily, it also incorporates WAZE and will reroute you for traffic delays, I use it on my android Samsung phone.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:08 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
I find today's truckers are not near as good and courteous as truckers 10-15 years ago. A large percentage are speeding and tailgating. For those that are still "The White knights Of the Highway" I tip my hat to you,it's a tough racket.
Agree with that but then I did get run off the road one day by a trucker too. He just pulled over right into me and I had to use the shoulder to avoid his trailer. No idea why he did it either as there was no one close to him and no reason to pull over like he did.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:43 AM   #19
doc

Appalachian Campers
There are still a lot of good truckers out there.
That said, pull into a rest area truck parking area in South most any state around noon when it has been dry and hot for a few days. The odor of urine is disgusting. I don't want to even get back in the coach after checking tires and the hookup for fear of bringing some nasty disease inside. I realize they are tired and don't really want to walk to the restroom. But when you roll down the window and pour a quart gator aide bottle of urine on the ground, you really are not so great. These nasty types have none of my admiration and I was over the road in tankers for several years before I decided I didn't want to do that forever.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:59 PM   #20

iRV2 No Limits Club
Just about everything you buy, consume, use or wear is delivered by a truck driver.

Most are average Americans, making a living in a tough job.

Give them a break when you can.

As I am retired, in no great rush, so when traveling I always yield to them.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Just about everything you buy, consume, use or wear is delivered by a truck driver.

Most are average Americans, making a living in a tough job.

Give them a break when you can.

As I am retired, in no great rush, so when traveling I always yield to them.
Buddy of mine, who is also an RVer, is a CA Highway Patrolman. He told me that the majority of truck drives are ex cons. I have no idea if this is correct, but I figured he would know.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billinwoodla View Post
Buddy of mine, who is also an RVer, is a CA Highway Patrolman. He told me that the majority of truck drives are ex cons. I have no idea if this is correct, but I figured he would know.
Maybe just in CA, but for a nationwide figure, he is likely incorrect. Remember, majority simply means more than 50%. Especially incorrect if the driver has a HAZMAT endorsement.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Maybe just in CA, but for a nationwide figure, he is likely incorrect. Remember, majority simply means more than 50%. Especially incorrect if the driver has a HAZMAT endorsement.
Maybe, but it sounds like the state is helping the figures along: California helps ex-convicts go to truck-driving school - News* - recordnet.com - Stockton, CA
Old 08-20-2015, 05:58 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
It's always good to spend a little time in the other guys shoes before being too critical.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Wow, you either need a new gps or use google maps on your phone. I find it flawless and use it daily, it also incorporates WAZE and will reroute you for traffic delays, I use it on my android Samsung phone.
Guess I shouldn't have said wrong. It wanted to route me differently than the truck driver's route. I never use my phone maps while driving the MH, it does not care if there is a low clearance or restricted road.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:52 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Guess I shouldn't have said wrong. It wanted to route me differently than the truck driver's route. I never use my phone maps while driving the MH, it does not care if there is a low clearance or restricted road.

I've never driven my RV on low clearance or restricted roads. I stick to main roads and highways and use my toad to explore. Never had a problem.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:56 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
Yep! I'd hate when fools in little cars would sneak up the right side of the RV too get in front. Can't see crap over there.................
If you can't see over there you need to set your mirrors properly and put a $5 Fresnel lens on your passenger side window. No more blind spot.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:29 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
We've been driving for the last three weeks on highways in Oregon and Washington and most of the truckers we've come across have been good drivers and a few forward thinking moving into the left lane when theres slow merging traffic coming on the highway. And without truckers we would have Nothing......zero...so thanks to those guys and gals that work the highways in trucks.