Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #1

Truckers have earned my respect

Just returned home from a 2000 mile trip in our "new to us" 2008 Holiday Rambler Ambassador, and I now know how truckers feel about 4 wheelers. How more crashes don't happen on the road, blows my mind. I will now drive my 4 wheeler with a total new respect around our 18 wheel friends. They are really unspoken heroes gutting it out there on the road moving our daily freight around the country. The other thing I came to realize is how bad our interstates are and I think most of them are under construction. The fact that I didn't rip my front end off on a few of those pot holes truly amazes me.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum "life happens" HE lives..
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #2

Yep! I'd hate when fools in little cars would sneak up the right side of the RV too get in front. Can't see crap over there, yet they still do it. People are morons. Love my big air horn, use it a lot on morons 😜👍🏻

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:48 PM   #3

Thankyou, unfortunately, some will always be in the dark.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:28 PM   #4

I feel the same way. And it seems as though for some, the first choice is passing on the right. Two lanes open on the left and they choose to pass on the right!

Chuck & Pam & the 2 cats.
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ
Chevy Tracker
F261484 - NJ4B
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #5

I have been on the road for a few weeks and agree on the interstates and the smallest of the 4 wheelers always jumping in front reducing my safe zone. Hit a improper connection between the freeway and a bridge on I 40 in eastern Arkansas which made both of my concave mirrors give way and were holding by a thread when I got stopped and taped them back on.
joecpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:05 PM   #6

Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Agreed! I always gave them a wide space, but then again...I did well in physics. When we bought our class A...I really began to truly understand the words "motoring moron", Geez!
RamblinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:03 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
They are really unspoken heroes gutting it out there on the road moving our daily freight around the country.
Agree 100%. I used to hate following a trucker, now when I find myself on an unfamiliar or confusing stretch of highway, I will look for one to follow and guide me. They know all of the pot holes out there!

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:29 AM   #8

What do you call a four wheeler between two loaded 18 wheelers?........................shock absorber!
Old 07-08-2015, 03:33 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have come to realize and love my 3 mirror each outside mirrors. I can set the bottom section to look just at my blind spots.

I have had several 4 wheelers purposely pass me, then slam on their brakes in front of me. Just plain stupid. The last one I was just about up to the speed limit. Boy was I glad for good brakes on both coach and toad.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:27 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I love my rear camera. You would be surprised how much you use your rear camera, when it broke, I felt uncomfortable changing lanes, I just new my toad was going to hit a car or a truck back there. I fixed it as soon as I could. Now , I won't leave home without it.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #11

Love the trucks except on the east coast. Went cross country last fall NJ to OR, San Fran and return on Int 80 and loved driving with the trucks and most of the 4 wheelers were good also until I got east of OH. Then the crazies came out. Try doing Jersey tpk and GW bridge into NY sometime you want to see crazies, all kinds 18 wheelers and 4 wheelers. Met some great folks, truckers, in the rest areas that were real helpful. I just love to drive and enjoy riding high and watching the world pass by.
denverh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:24 PM   #12

I find today's truckers are not near as good and courteous as truckers 10-15 years ago. A large percentage are speeding and tailgating. For those that are still "The White knights Of the Highway" I tip my hat to you,it's a tough racket.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecpayne View Post
I have been on the road for a few weeks and agree on the interstates and the smallest of the 4 wheelers always jumping in front reducing my safe zone. Hit a improper connection between the freeway and a bridge on I 40 in eastern Arkansas which made both of my concave mirrors give way and were holding by a thread when I got stopped and taped them back on.
Bet you have a tiny view of what's behind you.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Agree 100%. I used to hate following a trucker, now when I find myself on an unfamiliar or confusing stretch of highway, I will look for one to follow and guide me. They know all of the pot holes out there!

\ken
Me too. Last year was our firt trip into New England states. I talked to a trucker on the CB who was enroute to Maine, asked if it was alright if I followed him, he said yes, so I followed him without incident all the way to Bangor. Didn't need my GPS, in fact it was wrong several times.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote