Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #15

While I'm thinking about it, Scott lost half of his depreciation the minute he drove the unit out of the dealer lot. Just like a car, once it's yours it's not worth what you paid for it. The more you pay for your unit, the larger the dollar amount is lost to depreciation. Figure you lose at about 15% out the door. That means Scott's loss was $36,000 out the door ($240000 X 15%). I on the other hand, I only lost $22000 out the door. ($147000 X 15%). If a person can spend 100's of thousands of dollars on a coach they shouldn't be lamenting about the money.

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’
thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoon View Post
...Yep, it is costly, but if we stayed in motels and ate all meals out for 180-210 days per year, I suspect we would spend at least that much per day. And we would not enjoy it near as much.
Roger that! Somehow, a hot dog/hamburger cooked over a campfire just tastes so much better than one you can buy at a restaurant.

And with the bedbug problems in hotels/motels we've been hearing so much about lately, knowing it's been me & DH only in our bed, ALONE is enough to justify the calculated costs.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #17
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Scott posted he wasn't lamenting about the money, but he was just reporting the facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastplace View Post
While I'm thinking about it, Scott lost half of his depreciation the minute he drove the unit out of the dealer lot. Just like a car, once it's yours it's not worth what you paid for it. The more you pay for your unit, the larger the dollar amount is lost to depreciation. Figure you lose at about 15% out the door. That means Scott's loss was $36,000 out the door ($240000 X 15%). I on the other hand, I only lost $22000 out the door. ($147000 X 15%). If a person can spend 100's of thousands of dollars on a coach they shouldn't be lamenting about the money.

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #18

Geeze $182.5K costs over 4 years I can see why you think you'd do it differently next time.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #19

I'm not figuring ANYTHING...I'm just going!
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
I'm not figuring ANYTHING...I'm just going!
Just pulled out of the driveway.......we are right behind you.
TomTheOilMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Depreciation, fuel, repairs, etc. are all part of our entertainment expenses. Some people fly to Europe and think nothing of the expenses but I (think) I cannot afford that type of luxury expense but I can afford to put diesel fuel into a guzzler and spend funds for maintenance, repairs, etc. After all it's only money. In 1982 my wife and I bought (I say rented from Bank of America) a 46 foot sail boat and lived on it for 12 years. I was told at that time to estimate a minimum of 10% of the purchase price for annual expenses and they may have been right. I had spent what little I had to buy it and did all repairs & maintenance myself. In the year I have had this motor home I'm sure I have spent well over 10% of the purchases price on fuel, repairs, etc. but as I said above that is the entertainment expense. We do know we are going to lose money on these but the scary questions are how much and how long can we continue to enjoy this life style. I don't want to know how much it really costs.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #22

Life is expensive, plan for the future(a little savings), if you have some left spend it on what you want. If you where to sit down and figure the real cost of any hobby you would end up sittin and getting old. Got to go camping now.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Scotts numbers are probably correct but as noted assuming he took the same trips and had motels and eating out and car expenses I would guess his true cost when the alternative costs are figured in is the depreciation and maybe loss of interest on that money..spread out over 4 years nowhere near as bad as it seems at first...and being able to be in your own house and bed is priceless..
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
I promise I was not lamenting, b'ing & moaning, complaining, regretting, judging or the like. As Dirk wrote, just reporting facts. Would not change a thing. Well except for that time I stopped at a Flying J for the night and having the buffet while driving to Newmar by myself. I made several unscheduled quick stops the next day.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #25
csp

Monaco Owners Club
I agree RVing is expensive but spending time with my family and seeing the country is priceless. I agree with others, sleeping in my own bed and not having to eat in restaurants every meals is an added plus to RVing. I will do it as long as I can and as much as I can. I am just jealous of the full timers.
Chris
Old 03-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I'm guessing that most of those who claim they don't want to know how much Rving costs them are still working.

We are by no means on a minimal retirement but I need to know where the money goes! I can't imagine being able to make decisions (like buying the townhouse in Az we just bought) without knowing the impact on my overall expenses.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:22 AM   #27
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I was retired when I sold the house and bought the MH and went fulltime.

Several of my friends couldn't understand selling my appreciating asset (house) and buying a depreciating asset (MH).

I had a rough idea of the costs and what I was getting into and if I based my decision on financial issues only, I would never have had the great experiences and the realization of my dream.

Now I'm in the middle of my exit strategy and it's working well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I'm guessing that most of those who claim they don't want to know how much Rving costs them are still working.

We are by no means on a minimal retirement but I need to know where the money goes! I can't imagine being able to make decisions (like buying the townhouse in Az we just bought) without knowing the impact on my overall expenses.

Rick

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:50 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJelly View Post
Well except for that time I stopped at a Flying J for the night and having the buffet while driving to Newmar by myself. I made several unscheduled quick stops the next day.
I think Flying J has Pepto Bismol... you were supposed to buy that on the way out of dinner instead of the after dinner mint...
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote