Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-07-2011, 05:53 AM   #29
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Once had a Friend that owned an RV business and after he gave me the bill for some work on the Winnebago I said why so expensive? What he said I will never forget and I live by, SON IT COST TO PLAY!! Sold a fairly expensive boat once with 160 hours on it and it was 5 years old, the cost per hour was horrendous!

Sunny South Carolina
2004 Pace Arrow 37-C WH W-22
Pete & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #30
Thanks java for putting that info out there. Whether you like it or not, we should know what it costs. Most of ask "how much?" on everything else we buy.

I have stopped and run our MH #'s and it is pricey.

But life is about experiences, not expense's. But I still wanna know how much

2001 Monaco Diplomat 38'
Garranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #31
Thor Owners Club
We made several choices when we decided to buy our DP and have a large payment...we had 2 cars with payments on them that totaled almost what the MH payments are...we sold those and bought out toad with no payments. We look at this part as we would have been paying that anyway and the interest is tax deductible on the 2nd home as well as depreciation. For someone FT the cost of owning the MH is most likely less expensive than owning a stick house but with the priceless value of seeing places and meeting people and spending the time enjoying the US.

My question is what was the original intention of the MH...was it for full timing or just to use a couple months of the year? My suggestion to anyone purchasing is to take the time and buy what fits their needs, budget and lifestyle.

Dickson and Tracy
2016 Thor Windsport 31S
2015 Fusion Titanium Hybrid
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #32
Fleetwood Owners Club
We've owned an airplane, boat, lake house, & now RV. Even though the lake house had a good ROI, the cost of all of them are more than what they were worth divided by the number of days used.

By far the RV has been the best investment because it is a true lifestyle change. And I can take it almost anywhere. When we traveled in the airplane we had to rent a car and sleep in a motel and eat meals out. The boat, what can I say other than it was a hole in the lake that we poured money into. And the lake house got old, same place, same lake recreation, etc, etc.

That's my case and I'm stickin to it

David & Gail Salisbury, NC
2003 American Eagle 42'
denochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #33
To All,

In an act of full disclosure, I must preface with the following:

Full timer since 11/08
Sold house
2008 Winnebago Voyage 32H(Purchased new)
Retired military
Have use of military base RV parks(most with a monthly rate)
Have found equal value(to military) RV parks in FL/AZ

$140,000 MSRP
$100,000 Purchase price(NEW)
$ 77,000 Owe
$103,000 NADA retail average @25,000 miles
$ 86,000 NADA retail low
$ NONE Depreciation(worth more than I owe)
$ NONE Capitalization (House or RV. Same)
$ 45,000 Yearly expenses
$ 123 Daily cost

That being said, having a degree in Economics and using the law of diminishing returns, purchasing a RV costing more than $100,000 and NOT going full time appears to not make economic sense as you probably will not get your moneys worth unless you use it enough days to equal the cost of what it would cost to do the same activity using airline/car, hotels, eating out etc.

That all being said, it's their money and they are free to do what they want to with it.
navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #34
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As a full timer, I'm glad I didn't read THIS thread before we began full timing. When not volunteering, we sped at most $20/nite, and most of the time Less than $10 with my Access Pass discount in all Gov. campgrounds. We budget one tank of diesel a month for travelling (800 miles). Our only "bills" are cell and internet, $180/mo total. We do have car and RV insurance ($1800/yr combined). I don't count depreciation, since I'll probably leave here in a "box".
jchilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #35
It sure doesn't have to cost that much. We have friends who started full timing about 5 years ago with a used MH thAt they paid around 60k pulling there late model Malibu that I think they still have. They workamp & do temp/seasonal jobs. They seem to be getting along just fine .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #36
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Man that is an eye-opener and I just got started. Thankfully webought used and got a smokin deal on it. Hopefully it will remain in the affordable range. We aren't retired and haven't taken it on a long trip yet.

I did the calculation with my boat like you did your RV. I figure for the four times we used it last year, (carrying costs divided by use) it cost me $1000 per day. Considering selling it!
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #37
Just think if you save all that money on not having something you love you can buy a really nice casket.
An RV'r is someone driving a $300,000.00 Motorhome towing a $40,000.00 car and looking for a free place to park.
Stogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #38
Good way to travel

Originally Posted by jchilbert View Post
As a full timer, I'm glad I didn't read THIS thread before we began full timing. When not volunteering, we sped at most $20/nite, and most of the time Less than $10 with my Access Pass discount in all Gov. campgrounds. We budget one tank of diesel a month for travelling (800 miles). Our only "bills" are cell and internet, $180/mo total. We do have car and RV insurance ($1800/yr combined). I don't count depreciation, since I'll probably leave here in a "box".
I like the idea of staying put. You get to really know the place you're at. I'm not sure I could stick to just 800 miles per year. Only because I haven't tried it yet. We are not full timers but I was recently investigating the idea of establishing a radius to travel within this year staying put for 3-4 weeks at a time.

What was a smart decision for us was to do the BIG trip from NY to Alaska as the first trip to get it out of the way so to speak. It was a good choice and we know what paying $4.58 (converted to gallon price) for gas is like having travelled in Canada. By the way, gas is cheaper today than it was then in Canada. Go figure. We remember our "celebration" upon pulling into Tok and paying $3.33 a gallon.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #39
I wrote a spreadsheet to see if it was cheaper to stay in hotel rooms for a two month trip or a RV. I factored in the depreciation for a $100K RV, $100/night for hotel, cost of CG, food, mpg/fuel, repairs and insurance. It turned out to be $3k/year more for the RV.
Ed J - Summer->Vestal, NY Winter->Melbourne, FL
1999 Dodge 2500 diesel, 6-spd manual
2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329RSB
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #40
Life is costly. You make your choices and accept the results. Some choose based on emotion and have bad results. Some consider the cost and enjoy the results.

We understand RV ownership is a lifestyle choice, not an economic benefit. Still, we are enjoying our 8th RV. Like someone once told me, I don't want to lay on my death bed saying, "I am sure glad I denied myself of such and such that I would have enjoyed."
'09 Pleasure Way Lexor, Chevrolet Express 3500 chassis, 6.0L V8
Last RV, 2005 NRV Dolphin 5342 (2007-2014)
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
. I'm not sure I could stick to just 800 miles per year. .
Man, niether can I... but he said 800 miles/month.

It is interesting to see the replies which show what a wide range of spending habits exist in our activities.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #42
Entegra Owners Club
I found this interesting so I played with the $$ a bit. Total cost of time spent in my motor home came out to be $16.00 an hour. Total cost for time spent using my boat $533.00 an hour. What did this tell me? I need to use my boat more and bring the cost down.

Warren & Judy
2015 Entegra Anthem 44B
Ozarkan is offline   Reply With Quote