Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkan View Post
What did this tell me? I need to use my boat more and bring the cost down.
I tried that money saving strategy with my boat. Never could figure out where all of my "savings" was going though.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Scott posted he wasn't lamenting about the money, but he was just reporting the facts.
No he was reporting HIS costs. If he had not paid as much, paid cash (no monthly payments) stayed in public parks, etc then the so called "costs" would have been lower. Now others will look at his post and think that is "normal".

We bought a vintage RV for $2K and invested $1K. We have no house anymore. We stay in public parks when we can. We have never paid more than $400 for a site per month and never more than $35 per night. The Class C gets 6 to 8 mpg (and the skoolie gets double that!). I bought the tow bar and brackets USED for the Jeep.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #45

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Have owned our TT. 6 seasons now. Figured we camped close to 320 nights in her. Stay mostly at state parks for about $25 a night. Usually take 5 - 6 week long trips during the summer. Where else can you see nature up close and have your own kitchen, shower and toilet....Could never hotel it for the cost of RVing as we do. My one ski trip to the Rockies each year costs as much as 50-60 nights of camping do. Because of the ever rising cost of airfare, skiing will be delayed to every other year.....or maybe longer....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #46
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Have owned our TT. 6 seasons now. Figured we camped close to 320 nights in her. Stay mostly at state parks for about $25 a night. Usually take 5 - 6 week long trips during the summer. Where else can you see nature up close and have your own kitchen, shower and toilet....Could never hotel it for the cost of RVing as we do. My one ski trip to the Rockies each year costs as much as 50-60 nights of camping do. Because of the ever rising cost of airfare, skiing will be delayed to every other year.....or maybe longer....
It sounds like you are not including the depreciation cost of the RV. If one buys a 'good' upscale RV, the depreciation will be the biggest cost to you on a yearly basis. When I wrote the spreadsheet to compare costs, I just divided the cost of the RV by 15 to give a yearly cost (loss of value) just to keep it simple. I figured that after 15 years, most any RV does not have all that much value anymore. I did not put financing costs as a separate line. That cost should just be added into the initial cost of the RV.

Everyone will have their own results depending on how much the RV costs and how much it is used. The longer the RV is used each year, the cheaper it is compared to the same time spent in a hotel. The spreadsheet compares ONLY FINANCIAL considerations. There is no value placed on other aspects of RVing such as sitting around the campfire, sleeping in your own bed, etc... Each person has to place their own value on that to decide if that is more important than the financial loss each year.

I tried to attach my Excel spreadsheet to this post, but it will not work. The forum will not allow a ".xls" file to be uploaded.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Now others will look at his post and think that is "normal".

I don't believe anyone is going to look at the OP's post and believe that those costs are typical or normal. Java was pretty clear on the way they traveled and the types of parks they stayed in.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #48

we lived in south fl from 97 thru 2002 on the water with a 38 ft scarab offshore boat. we could run the boat 2 and 1/2 times to our favorite hangout for a burger and a beer on approx 185 gal. mid grade gas. bought a dp in 2000, our first trip back to my home town in mi i burned approx 200 gal diesel fuel in 1600 mi. i thought we won the lottery and upon returning to fla. sold the boat. i do have to say scotts thread was an eye opener!
jimsue
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #49

JavaJelly - It could have been worse. I bought our coach 18 months ago. The original buyer paid 546,000 after discount new. I paid 137,000 18 months ago. That works out to 400,000 in depreciation in about 7 1/2 years. Sorry to hear about your loss though, I am sure the coach was like a family member. I have always missed my previous coach that I sold 2 years ago.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjim View Post
we lived in south fl from 97 thru 2002 on the water with a 38 ft scarab offshore boat. we could run the boat 2 and 1/2 times to our favorite hangout for a burger and a beer on approx 185 gal. mid grade gas.jimsue
Yeah, but you lived on the water with a 38' Scarab!!!

I'll bet you have a lot of memories per gallon.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-09-2011, 01:43 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Yeah, but you lived on the water with a 38' Scarab!!!

I'll bet you have a lot of memories per gallon.

Rick

we sure do, about 35 gal. per hr. in memories jimsue
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Boat owners and former boat owners always make me feel better about my rv!
Thanks!
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Do any of you hunt? I didn't take time to read all the posts here cause I don't feel like being sick to my stomach. Do I like camping, yes. Can I afford it ,yes Are we selling our house to go full time yes. If any of you hunt now you see where I am going. Buy a gun, a license take time off work, get your kill processed for meat. Are you at 20.00 a lb or more. But no problems with that. It is all in what one likes to do and can afford. Some of us should just go fishing and catch and release. I have been away from this forum cause I was beginning to think that I am going to have nothing but problems with my coach Now I take one day at a time. I come on here. cause there is a wealth of good info here but If you read all of it you will go nuts. Now we have the gas situation and the price for diesel OMG where will it stop.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #54

Forest River Owners Club
Interesting ...I have looked at costs for some categories per year (fuel, maintenance, campgrounds, food, etc) but never at the TOTAL cost/year. (We spend CONSIDERABLY less/night than the OP did for RV parks). As fulltimers, our MH is our home, and our TOTAL cost is whatever it takes us to live. We did buy a new coach apx 2 yr before I retired, but didn't spend any more (less probably) than we would have on a stick house ...at least we can drive this house to a new town when we get bored where we are!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
My cost for the MH only 24/365 in 2010 was $5,694.28 or $15.60 a day. All my other expenses was another $33,145.08

I don't count depreciation as I paid cash for it back in 2002 and plan for this to be the last one I will need. It was 3 years old at the time. With all the bugs taken care of.

The above cost includes the below and all $$$$ from Quicken.
Add Ons
Campgrounds
Fuel
Insurance
LP
Registration
Repairs
Replace worn out
Service
Supplys

2009 $4,819.64
2008 $5,048.53

I don't stay in $70 a night campgrounds. My Passport America card gets used some and free a lot.
The stix & brick I use to own before the MH cost a lot more a year to operate.
And it also was paid for.

Would you let us know where to get that 7% return at.
I got a 7% 10 year annuity in 2000 that ended 9/10.
I think that was the last year I seen any 7% returns.
Very hard to even get 2% today.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #56

The key to an expensive large motor home is using it. The more days you spend in it the more your costs are spread out. If you full time I think living in a motor home is low cost and not expensive.

By the way, we used to have a 45' boat that we used all the time and only went through 100 gallons a year. It was a Herreshoff Ketch though. The other expenses were very high though. If you want to think a DP is cheap, own a 45' boat before.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote