Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #15

My MH is 1994 Winn with 28,000, would not be afraid to leave on cross country trip now, Just as good as new, But I keep it that way ???
ltfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Hi there Mr Alope,
Here's a source that is well worth the money you pay for it. rv.org. Lay out the bucks, read ALL the material, then determine what fits your needs. This will be the best money you spend on your RV.
Good luck and happy hunting.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
On our 32 year old and now has 49,500 miles. The previous owner had it for 28 years and took care of it. I've had it now going on 3 years. I don't think the oven was ever used, the shower I don't think it was used or rarely. The only thing that don't work is the rear heater and that's because of a bad switch. Looking for a new one now. All original interior no rips or tears anywhere.
The MH never leaves the driveway with out checking everything first. Never leave the driveway dirty either from top to bottom. Making sure all lights work.
And 240 hours on Gennie, works great,
I forgot I had to replace 1 battery, 2 fuel filters and two filters, that's it.
Take care of it and it will take care of you. Don't forget maintenance.

Happy Travels,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #18

new units seem to have a checklist of problems that need fixed right from the factory, wouldn't think you'd have any more problems with a 10 year old unit. have it checked over and you'll probably come out ahead. I would never buy a new unit. unless you've got money to burn your throwing away thousands just driving it off the lot...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Go to every dealership and show that you can.
Walk thru every single RV that you can.
Actually imagine yourself (and anyone else that might be going with you) living in it. Try every chair out. Try "cooking" and reaching for things in the cabinets to see what you would have to do to make it comfortable for you. Try laying down on the bed and then getting up to use the bathroom like you would in the middle of the night. Get in the shower so that you know really how big it is. Try out the couches and "watch" the TV, if it's above the drivers seat you may have watch it with your head turned all the time, gets annoying.
Really look at the storage situation and imagine where you will put everything.
After looking at lots of them you should start to get a feel for what you like and don't like. It got to the point for us that we could just walk in and look around and walk right back out because the layout was just wrong for us.
If it has slides, make the dealer put them in so that you can see what might or might not be accessible while driving down the road. Bad if you can't get to the bathroom without putting out the slide or even accessing the fridge either.
Once you figure out what you like then you can start figuring out who has it for sale and then you can figure out if the body and engine are in good repair.

Honestly there is no one book or site that tell you what you are gonna like or not in an RV. Case in point, Thom and I don't like most Newmar's, the floorplans just do not work for us while others just love them.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to the forum!

As opposed to some of the recommendations made here, I do not think time nor mileage should make all that much difference. We have 65K miles on our 2007 (not all mine - I don't buy vehicles new), and I would say that we have experienced fewer problems than would be expected. It all comes down to how well the prior owner maintained the rig. I have friends with brand new units have all sorts of unexpected problems, so new vs used is hardly a cogent argument. Focus on finding the unit that "fits" you best - floorplan, etc. Then attempt to determine how it was kept. Records should be reviewed, but nothing replaces a thorough visual inspection. Try to meet the prior owners if possible - you will be able to tell much about how the unit was maintained from a simple conversation.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Jackalope: Welcome to iRV2.

I've never owned a new-ish MH, mine is twenty years old (1994). I purchased her expecting a project and have not been disappointed. It seems that there are some folks that expect everything to work perfectly and be brand new. That's fine but I would guess a fairly new unit is necessary to meet this expectation. If you are a bit handy, get a good deal (low-ish purchase price), and enjoy some projects, an older MH will be just fine. When taken care of, they don't just roll over dead at year xx. One thing that does happen is technology marches on. Modern chargers, inverters, TV's, etc... are much, much smarter/better now than they were twenty years ago so even if the old is working, it is worth replacing (in most cases).
Thanks so much. Thanks R2. I'm somewhat handy, and know my way around a car. But the unique systems of an RV (mainly the dual power sources and lp/electric) are a bit scary. Plus, I suppose it's being a bit handy that makes me very wary about things like water intrusion.

I suppose what I'm saying here is that while I want and am willing to pay for a unit that is in good shape, I fully expect to have to deal with things as they go wrong down the road. You have to do that with your house, I figure it's a slam dunk you have to do it with a house that moves, hits potholes and slams on brakes.
JACKAL0PE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
Jackalope, when we bought our coach it was 8 years old and had only 15000mi on it. If your happy with the amount of wear and tear on the unit as a whole, then the same amount of problems will follow, if you get my drift. A beat up unit will have more problems than a clean one. The biggest thing to look for is water intrusion. Around windows, doors, vents etc. Our unit was previously owned by older people (2 PO,s) that sold due to health reasons so not much wear and tear and was really in showroom condition. Good aged units can be found. Don't get in a hurry. Our previous coach was 14 years old and bought from the original owner. A gas rig that was well cared for BUT we were always in the lookout for an up grade to a diesel pusher. Our DP was found while on a trip in the gasser 1200 miles from home. We must have looked at hundreds of units before jumping into this one. Don't get in a hurry.

Good luck and welcome!!
Thanks. I absolutely agree about the water intrusion. You're going to have to translate though. 2 PO,s? Our DP? Sorry. I'm sort of a rookie with this.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:12 PM   #23

Here is a link to a pre-purchase checklist that should be helpful.

RV Inspection Checklist

If it were me I would negotiate a price for the MH and then use this checklist to do my own inspection. If I didn't find anything major during my inspection, I would have an RV tech do a pre-purchase inspection and plan to pay for at least a couple of hours of his or her time. That means as much as a couple of hundred dollars. I would rent a site at an RV park for the day so I would have access to 50amp electric service as well as water and sewer. Now your doing the math and realize your into this inspection for as much as $250. I don't like to spend money unnecessarily but that $250 could be cheap at twice the price if you miss something major before you buy the MH. If the dealer or owner won't let you do a thorough inspection they are dishonest! Don't walk away from the deal, RUN! Even if you find a major problem during the inspection it doesn't mean you can't by the RV. It just gives you a strong negotiating position. Your RV tech that does the inspection can give you a written estimate to repair the problem. That comes right off the previously negotiated price. Don't be afraid to walk away from any deal. There are lots of MH's out there. Be patient and you'll find the right one.
Good luck.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE View Post
Thanks. I absolutely agree about the water intrusion. You're going to have to translate though. 2 PO,s? Our DP? Sorry. I'm sort of a rookie with this.
Sorry, PO= previous owner DP diesel pusher You'll learn the lingo!!
Old 03-31-2014, 11:46 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE View Post
Thanks so much. Thanks R2. I'm somewhat handy, and know my way around a car. But the unique systems of an RV (mainly the dual power sources and lp/electric) are a bit scary.
Even if you buy a new or newer MH for $200,000 or $300,000, you need to have some knowledge how those systems operate. Get a VOM (volt ohm meter) and learn how to use it. If the MH you buy doesn't have them download the manuals and troubleshooting guide for all of the equipment and appliances. There are a lot of how to videos on the net, watch them and ask questions here. If the tires are aged out have the dealer replace them, if they won't do that they need to reduce the price of the MH to cover your cost of new tires. The brake system needs to have the fluid flushed with new fluid. If the engine cooling system still has the original hoses including the heater hoses they all need to be changed along with the belts.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:24 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Jackalope - I am going through a similar situation. We just bought a 2006 Winnebago with less than 26,000 miles. Now we did check out all the systems and knew they all functioned when we bought.

However, having said that, we are in the midst of "benchmarking" the coach. The wheel alignment and a state inspection have already been completed. Next we will have the slides and the leveling system checked, the gen set serviced, and the chassis/engine checked with all filters changed, fluids checked or changed as needed, etc. Finally, I'll add valve extensions and a TPM system. Fortunately, the tires are only 2 years old with very little wear.

We are taking some short trips as we go through this process; but everything will be completed by the time we set off on our first multi-thousand mile jaunt.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:01 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
Jackalope - I am going through a similar situation. We just bought a 2006 Winnebago with less than 26,000 miles. Now we did check out all the systems and knew they all functioned when we bought.

However, having said that, we are in the midst of "benchmarking" the coach. The wheel alignment and a state inspection have already been completed. Next we will have the slides and the leveling system checked, the gen set serviced, and the chassis/engine checked with all filters changed, fluids checked or changed as needed, etc. Finally, I'll add valve extensions and a TPM system. Fortunately, the tires are only 2 years old with very little wear.

We are taking some short trips as we go through this process; but everything will be completed by the time we set off on our first multi-thousand mile jaunt.
Wow. I'd really like to hear that process as it goes on Don. That sounds like exactly what I'm going to need to do regardless of what I buy.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:01 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ours is twelve year old, one owner, and everything works just fine. We take care of it, repair anything necessary and do preventative maintenance continually.
Someone some day will get a very nice used MH from us and all systems will be working and in good order. Things age but there is no "cliff" to fall off, it depends on how the MH was treated and used during its lifetime.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote