Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2014, 05:10 AM   #1

Trust computer or mechanic??

Need some help here please.

We are having trouble with our throttle being "mushy" at times on our 370 Cummins.

It will run great at speed but when we slow down it acts like it won't "go" at all. If my hubby STOMPS on the accelerator it will go.

Computer code says it's the ECM (main computer chip $2600. Mechanic with 25 years thinks it's a control thingy (sorry don't know the name) down by the pedal. Cost of $335.)

He says it's our option as to what we repair.......any thoughts?

Coach has run great til now, only 52k miles on it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2014, 05:17 AM   #2

I really have no idea. But I would go with the mechanic, I have been told computer problems a lot of times are simply emotions issues that you can live with.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:26 AM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Throttle Pedal

From what you are explaining I would go with the throttle position sensor. It changes voltages on wires to input acceleration. Sounds like it has a bad spot in it and if you stomp past that its OK. Besides its the least expensive part. Seldom is it the ECM.... Good Luck
rezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:35 AM   #4

Sounds like the TPS. (Throttle Position Sensor). Take a look at the throttle pedal where it hinges at the floor. Check for and clean out any loose stuff that has gathered under the pedal at the hinge area. Many times, cleaning around the pedal hinge will correct the problem you discribed. Hope it helps.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:41 AM   #5

The TPS are a common failure on these drive by wire marvels. They can go at any time. I vote to change it first. Better to be out $300 then $2600.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjyounger View Post
Need some help here please.

We are having trouble with our throttle being "mushy" at times on our 370 Cummins.

It will run great at speed but when we slow down it acts like it won't "go" at all. If my hubby STOMPS on the accelerator it will go.

Computer code says it's the ECM (main computer chip $2600. Mechanic with 25 years thinks it's a control thingy (sorry don't know the name) down by the pedal. Cost of $335.)

He says it's our option as to what we repair.......any thoughts?

Coach has run great til now, only 52k miles on it.
What computer code? would be my question. The TPS is nothing more than a POT and can be easily tested with an o-scope (or a good meter with an analog scale for better response) or if you get a ScanGauge it will show the TPS response. I wouldn't guess at either and do further tests.
mevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
The TPS are a common failure on these drive by wire marvels. They can go at any time. I vote to change it first. Better to be out $300 then $2600.

X2!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:34 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Not a hard choice for me. Go with the Mechanic.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #9

Typically computer codes represent a circuit. A circuit consists of the sensor (TPS in your case), cabling between sensor and ECM, and the ECM itself. The problem can be with any of those items. Please make sure you understand exactly what the generated code represents before deciding on a course of action.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #10

only thing that sucks about this is the Throttle Position Sensor is setting on 40 feet of wire

if any thing should be wrong with said wiring this would be a very hard one to find and fix
Old 04-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #11

Pull the throttle pedal back with your left hand and move the arm (with roller on the end) that pivots on the pedal with your right hand and make sure it isn't sticking and that the roller hasn't got a build up of gunk on it. Both roller and pivoting arm should move absolutely smoothly.
See where the roller moves on the 'floor' - make sure there is nothing on that surface either.

You can then try it with the engine running and make sure the engine revs change smoothly as you move the arm.

BTW these items start from about $40 for cars so they aren't a big ticket item and changing them usually involves undoing a couple of screws and plugging the new one in. 10 minutes
Old 04-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #12

I wouldn't replace either till you have an actual diagnosis. What your mechanic did is frequently the beginning of a bad experience which I call the Reverse Money Wheel (you spin to determine how much of your money you hand him & you get some random result that maybe fixes the problem or maybe you get to spin again). This also works remarkably like Whack-a-Mole only with what used to be your money out the window with each whack. He looked at the symptom & asked "what things are involved here?" Then he made his defectively short list & gave you a choice (thereby pulling you into his sloppy diagnostic method and giving him an out to charge you regardless of results cuz "you told me to".

Could be the TPS (which is likely a Hall-effects sensor, I think TPS based on potentiometers died out in the late 90's), could be the ECM, could be the wire in between, could be another sensor not squaring with the other ecm inputs & incoming a temp limp mode, or most likely its just a bad connection. Finding a bad connection takes a serious tech.

Start with reading the codes. If no codes- is probably a bad connection leaving the ecm short on voltage or ground.

Had my toad in the Nissan dealer for a no start. They immediately (after getting no codes) called Nissan Corp for a consult, & answered their first question, "have you checked all the connections?" They lied like a dog in the dirt with fleas, ticks, mange, & a really ugly haircut. They said Yes. After replacing two heavy cost electronics packages, one of which was the ecm, and still no start, they found low voltage to the ecm & corrosion on a fuse that trimmed 12V to 7V. Also after replacing the ecm (all on their collective dime via factory extended warranty) the service manager got a hefty piece of my own diagnosis, ie that they were playing Reverse Money Wheel/Whack-a-Mole instead of doing professional work and tying up my truck for over a week. After the dress down, they found the bad fuse in under 2hrs.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sometimes the computer can detect a problem and give you a "Generic" code. And an expierenced mechanic can look at that code and say 9 time out of ten that is this part.

Example is code 455, Evaporate Emission control systems, MAJOR LEAK.

Sounds big and expensive: Try putting the gas cap back on stupid. (Yup that is the code of missing gas cap).. Of course it can be a major issue.. You do not know till you get into it)
Old 04-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Sometimes the computer can detect a problem and give you a "Generic" code. And an expierenced mechanic can look at that code and say 9 time out of ten that is this part.

Example is code 455, Evaporate Emission control systems, MAJOR LEAK.

Sounds big and expensive: Try putting the gas cap back on stupid. (Yup that is the code of missing gas cap).. Of course it can be a major issue.. You do not know till you get into it)
Been there, done that. Our old 99 Buick check engine light would come on randomly. Asked a neighbor/mechanic about it and he told me to buy a new gas cap. Light never came on again. The light or code only gives the mechanic a place to begin looking for the problem.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer, rust